- Text Size +
This couldn't be happening. Hadn't he promised that she would always be protected from anything and everything that lurks in the dark shadows? Of course he did. But then again, it wouldn't be typical of Dean Winchester if he didn't fail someone he cared about.

"Dean..."

"I'm right here, Cailey. We're going to get you to a hospital. It's going to be alright. You and the baby will be alright," he ran a trembling hand through her damp locks. Bleeding... God, she was bleeding everywhere. He looked up and locked eyes with Sam through the rear view mirror, who pressed his foot harder on the gas. The scenery outside began to blur. How did it get to this? Holding a dying woman in his arms? A woman he had actually allowed himself to fall in love with; who was carrying his child. How...

"I'm cold," she whispered, shivering within his arms.

"Hold on," with slight difficulty, he was able to slip off his leather jacket while still keeping her close and placing it snugly around her broken body. "There we go."

"It's bad... isn't it?"

"No, it's not that bad. Once we get you to the hospital, you'll be fine. The baby will be fine," Dean could barely keep his emotions at bay as he tried to keep her mind off the seriousness of her injuries.

"Dean, don't lie to me."

"Cail, I'm not-"

"I understand," she took a deep, rattling breath and shuddered hard, arching against the pain. "God, it hurts so much..."

"Cailey? Cailey, c'mon, I need you to stay awake. Stay with me," Dean instructed, cupping her cheek and pressing a kiss to her clammy forehead. Her eyes fluttered open and she tried to smile, placing a bloody hand on the top of his.

"I love you."

"Don't say it like that."

"What?"

"Like you're not going to fight. Don't give up!"

"I'm trying. Something is pulling... pulling me away-"

"You weren't meant to die like this!"

"Don't know that."

"But we were supposed to have a baby together."

"I know, Dean. I know... I can feel... feel it dying... I'm sorry..."

"Please... don't leave me. Either of you," Dean begged, his voice breaking as her blood continued to soak through his leather jacket.

"Sweetie, don't have a choice," Cailey wiped the blood from her lips; her breathing became shallow. "Can... can you please... kiss me? One last time?"

"Cailey-"

"Dean. Please." The look in her eyes made the words dry up in his throat as he nodded. Leaning down, he pressed his lips against hers. Even now, they were as soft and smooth as when he first kissed her. It was bittersweet to the point where it felt like his heart would break into pieces as they pulled away.

"I love you," he whispered, kissing her once more, briefly.

"I know," she offered a small smile, a blood splattered arm reaching out to touch Sam's shoulder. "Sammy?"

"Yes, CC?" he placed his hand atop hers. Even though she couldn't see his face, she knew he was crying.

"Take care of... your brother... for me."

"Don't. Just... just hang on."

"I can't. It's... it's..." she trailed off, licking her lips. "Take care of him, Sammy. Promise me."

"CC, I-"

"Have to promise."

"Alright. I promise," he squeezed her hand for a moment before bringing it back to the steering wheel.

"We're going to get you to the hospital. They're going to patch you up, and then we'll go see Bobby. He'll know what to do," Dean replied as she turned to look at him. It took all he had not to break down in front of her. If she saw weakness... he'd lose her. He had too much loss in his life. He couldn't handle much more.

"Dean..." she sighed softly, her hand against his cheek once again. A cough shook her entire body and she tensed up with pain, her head turned away. When she faced him he could see blood had coated her lips. "It's okay."

"No. I shouldn't have told you. What Sammy and I did. It was too dangerous, and now I got you hurt-"

"It's okay. I'll take care of our baby."

"Cailey-"

"It's... okay..." she trailed off, smiling softly as her gray-blue eyes looked up into his green ones. Her breath flowed out slowly and the hand that was on his cheek fell down onto her chest. Dean watched anxiously, waiting for it to rise again.

"Cailey."

No response. Her once beautiful eyes, which now saw nothing, stayed open and vacant.

"Cailey!" he shook her gently, but enough to at least rouse her.

No response.

"No. No, no, no. NO!"

"What? What is it?!" Sam shouted from the front seat.

"Pull over. PULL OVER!" Dean shouted as he continued to shake the younger woman. Without hesitation, Sam veered the Impala onto the side of the road. Slamming it into park, he got out and ran to help his brother carry Cailey outside and onto the ground.

"Cailey... No... She... She's gone..." Sam whispered as he watched Dean hold her stiffening body.

"She's not gone!"

"Dean-"

"Sam, I swear to God, if you say that again, I'll kick your ass!" Dean shouted as tears poured down his cheeks. "She's too strong, she wouldn't-she couldn't-"

"Dean."

"No. Sammy, please. No..." Dean whimpered with a shake of his head as Sam came and wrapped an arm around his shaking shoulders. "She's not..."

"She is."

"Cailey," Dean began to sob, for once not caring that Sam saw any true emotion coming from him as he pulled Cailey up to cradle against his chest and buried his face in her locks.

"Dean, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry," Sam whispered against the side of Dean's head, tears forming in his hazel eyes and falling down his cheeks.

"No... No..." was all Dean could muster between sobs. First his mother. Then his father. He had almost lost his brother. Now he lost the woman he was going to raise a child with, and though he knew of the dangers others couldn't imagine, he wasn't scared of being a father. It actually thrilled him. No one had made him want that before her. Now, she was gone and it was more than Dean could take. Something built up in his chest and before he could stop it, a long, wounded cry escaped his trembling lips. Leaning down, he pressed them against Cailey's cold forehead as his tears fell into her locks. "Cailey..."