- Text Size +
Chapter Five

The concert that night was interesting to say the least. I'm pretty sure AJ tried to knock me out in the ring. He made it look like an accident, but there was nothing accidental about it in his angry eyes.

Then there was the whole thing with the roses. Bri and I ended up without roses; Justin's eyes practically bugged out of his head. Stupid ass AJ had fuckin' set me up to look like a dickhead. I could just feel the disappointment radiating from the crowd of hopeful girls. I had to think quickly; I took off my tie and flung it into the crowd. That scored me tons of brownie points.

Rhoda seemed to appreciate my quick thinking. While AJ was out on stage singing Drive By Love, I changed for my solo number.

"That was so sweet of you throwing your tie," she said.

I smiled. "You think so?"

She looked at me under thick lashes. "Very."

I licked my lips. "Well, I think you'll find I'm actually an all-around sweet guy," I said. I pointed towards the stage. AJ was humping the ground. I secretly wished that he would get a cock splinter. "Watch out for that one."

Rhoda laughed. "You guys are all nice."

She wrapped her fingers around my arm. I had to fight the urge to press her against the wall and kiss those lush lips.

"What are you doing after the show?" I blurted instead. She smiled.

"Dee and Lyndsey invited me to a club!" she said giddily.

"What club?"

The smile slid off her face. She looked nervous.

"Oh. Um...Dee said I couldn't tell you. Or AJ."

My eyes narrowed. "She did?"

Rhoda looked panicked. "She wants a girls night! No offense to you guys." Her eyes softened like pools of hershey syrup. "Maybe we can go clubbing together another night."

I took a deep breath. This leg of the tour had just begun. I'd have other opportunities. I mean, she had just offered me a raincheck.

"Absolutely," I said with a grin.

"Watch out!"

Bri's voice was laced with fear. I hopped out of the way just in time. AJ had come sprinting towards me. He ground to a halt in front of Rhoda. We stared each other down.

"You're turn," AJ said with a smirk.

I hesitated. I didn't want to leave Rhoda alone with...with...him. It wasn't that I was worried AJ would get her. He didn't have the charisma I did. I was kind of like a puppy. I suckered girls in with my charming face and then I humped them until they kicked me out in the rain.

It was a pattern I was used to.

"Nick, GO!"

Howie turned me towards the stage. He all but kicked me in the ass. I took a couple slow steps out. Once I was spotted, there was no turning back. The band started to play. As I began to sing, I caught a glimpse of Razzo, er Julie, er...Snappy McSnapperpants off to the side clicking away. This was the first time I had actually seen her in the crowd at a concert. She was stepping up her A game. I glanced back to the side of the stage. Rhoda was bouncing to the music.

I had to focus. Sing, Carter!

People tell me, you stay where you belong
But all my life I've tried to prove them wrong...


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


As Nick galloped onto the stage and started wooing the audience, Rhoda turned to Brian, "Well come on," she said, "Let's get you set..." and with that, she headed back in to the wardrobe area backstage. Brian shrugged at Howie, who was still seething at me, and took off. I moved quickly, intending to follow after them, but Howie grabbed my arm.

"What the hell is going on?" he demanded.

I glanced at the stage, "The show?" I asked, playing stupid.

"Between you and Nick and this chick?"

I blinked sweetly. "I dunno what you're talkin--"

"If we keep having problems, I'm gonna get rid of her."

Get RID of her? Get RID of -- Jesus what is WRONG with married people??? Get RID of something as fucking perfect as Rhoda?

"Dude, D," I said, rolling my eyes, "Nothing is going on between Nick, Rhoda and I. Or at least not between Nick and Rhoda... Nick's just taking it hard that she chose me over him, that's all. You know Nick..." I smiled.

"Uh huh." Howie didn't look convinced.

"Dude, seriously though, I gotta change or I'm gonna fuck up the next set." Howie released me reluctantly. He eyed me as I catapulted my way back to the wardrobe room.

No way in hell was I missing out on the opportunity to redeem myself with her after earlier with Nick and all...

When I got back into the wardrobe area, though, Rhoda had disappeared. Brian was sitting there biting his nails.

I sat down next to Brian and racked my brain for something to say. Anything to get his fingers out of his mouth. I hated that he chewed his nails. Him and Nick both.

Just one more thing to add to the list of reasons Nick was a pain in my ass.

I had just pulled off my shirt and started tugging on the next set's shirt when Dee walked into the room, saw me, flushed red, and turned and ran back out of the room before Brian ever noticed she'd been there.

"Dude, I saw Dee naked," I spouted, finally landing on a topic once I'd finished dressing.

Brian's eyebrows raised, the fingers withdrew from his mouth, and he sputtered, "Why the h-double-hockey sticks was Howie naked?"

HOWIE?!?? ......... HOWIE? How the FUCK did he jump from Dee to HOWIE? I replayed the sentence in my head.

'Dee'...'D'... Oh. That's how.

"NO!" I shouted, and Brian's tension seemed to dissolve. "No, Jesus - NO. I mean Dee. You know... DEEEEEE." I dragged out the EEE sound like Nick whining over a box of Mini Wheats on the bus in the morning. No, I'm sorry. Not Mini Wheats. Mini Wheeeeeeeeeeee eeeats!

"Deanna?" Brian asked, using her proper name, "Okay. The question still stands. Why the h-double-hockey sticks was Deanna naked?"

"She was showering and --"

Brian's eyeballs almost popped out of his head, "Deanna was showering with Howie?!? Does Leigh know??"

"WHAT? Okay this time there's no excuse, how the fuck did you get Howie into this conversation BRok?" I demanded.

Brian paused a moment. "Oh. Right. Wait. What happened?"

"Forget it, I'm gonna go talk to D."

"Deanna? Or Howie? Good Lord AJ, I'm all confused. Who was naked?"

"Brian... just let it go."

I scurried out of the wardrobe room, intent on going to find Rhoda, and found myself face-to-face with a sweat-drenched Nick. We almost ran into each other. We stopped. He glowered at me, I glared up at him.

"What were you just doing?" he demanded.

"Talking to Brian, if you have to know," I answered.

"As long as you weren't talking to my girlfriend."

"She isn't YOUR girlfriend," I pointed out.

"Well she isn't YOURS either!" he said haughtily.

We glowered.

After a long glowering session, Nick sighed. "Dawg this is stupid," he said in a defeated tone. "Yanno what, no girl is worth us fighting over - even if she has perfect tits."

I eyed him. He could be faking it.

"Seriously, bro, you're one of my best friends," he added.

I melted. "You're right," I answered.

"So let's just forget about Rhoda, okay?" Nick smiled sweetly, "If she's gonna go with one of us... she'll choose. Let's stop this competitive shit... okay?" His eyes twinkled.

"Sure," I answered, smiling back.

Nick struck out his hand. I shook it. He smiled. I smiled.

"Sweet." Nick ducked into the wardrobe room, and I pulled my crossed fingers out from behind my back.

If Nick thought I was seriously giving up that easy... he had another thing coming.

I headed back to the stage.