- Text Size +

The ringing of jingle bells pulled me away from Nick’s lips. Nick walked to the door. I couldn’t believe he changed the door bell so it would play jingle bells. It was definitely Christmas at the Carter house.

Nick opened the door to a tall curly blond hair teenager.

“Hello Mr. Carter. Is Rachel around?” He said politely.

“Yeah. Come on in. She’s in the kitchen baking cookies.”

Kolby quickly walked to the kitchen. He waved to me as he passed through the living room.

“Who’s that young man?” Ann asked curiously, while placing candles on the mantle.

“He’s Rachel’s friend from youth group.” I said nonchalantly.

“Ray’s got a boyfriend.” Kevin teased. He looked highly amused at the prospect of my daughter dating.

“They are only friends. She’s too young to date.” Nick announced as he sat down on the couch.

“Nick don’t you have more lights to put up?”

“Yeah, but I’m tired.” He closed his eyes for an added effect.

“Get your white ass out there. I need this done before the party.” I threw a wad of tissue paper at him. Everyone snickered.

“Ahh see the abuse I get. After all the work I’ve done, the wife doesn’t appreciate it. You hurt my heart.” Nick got all dramatic and fell to the floor.

“Enough with the theatrics. You will get repaid tonight. I promise. Cross my heart.” I crossed my heart with my index finger.

“I don’t want to hear about his repayment.” Kevin rolled his eyes. Brian stifled a laugh. Even my mom chuckled. It wasn’t like they didn’t know we had sex. Come on, we have seven children and one on the way. Surely, we must be doing something.

“Fine. Let’s go elves.” He pointed to Kevin and Brian.

Rachel and Kolby walked into the living room.

“Daddy, can I use the studio? I want to practice for the audition.” She asked politely.

“Go ahead. Just be careful.”

“Thank you, daddy. I’m just going to use the microphone and the computer for my music.” She gave her dad a kiss on the check. Then she grabbed Kolby’s hand and pulled him in the direction of the studio.

“Are you sure nothing is going on between those two?” My mom asked as the guys went back outside.

“As much as Nick wants to deny it, I think there’s definitely some crushing going on.” I smiled remembering Nick and me at that age.

“They make a cute pair.” Nia commented.

“They do.”

----------------------

“Something has changed within me. Something is not the same.” Rachel sang. “I’m through with playing by the rules. Of someone else’s game.”

She got into the song, forgetting anyone was listening to her. Her eyes were closed and she could feel the emotion of the song she was singing. Usually Rachel was calm and collected, but this song made her feel uninhibited.

“Too late for second guessing…Too late to go back to sleep. It’s time to trust my instincts. Close my eyes: and leap!” She belted out.

Kolby leaned against the doorway starring at Rachel. All he could think about what how beautiful she was. It wasn’t just her looks. She was beautiful with her blonde curls, bright blue eyes, and impish smiled. Rachel had a heart of gold. She was never mean to anyone and always had a positive word to say. He really liked her. She was everything he wanted in a girlfriend.

“It’s time to try defying gravity.” She opened her eyes and stared directly in Kolby’s eyes. She couldn’t take her eyes off of his.

They were saying so much without saying a word. Rachel felt nervous. Kolby silently walked towards her while continuing to looking her blue eyes.

“Rachel, you’re so beautiful.” His hand moved a loose curl behind her ear. Then his hand caressed her cheek. She looked into his eyes.

“Thanks.” She said softly. Her heart was pounding and she could barely breathe.

His face moved closer to hers. His lips brushed her check gently. A shiver went down her spine.

Nick walked into the studio. He noticed it was very quiet. He looked up and saw that his daughter was about to get her first kiss. He slowly backed out of the room. He did not want to get caught. Nick stood in the hall listening to what was happening.

Kolby licked his lips and gently placed them on Rachel’s. It was a sweet and tender first kiss. A few moments later they broke apart.

“Umm…you’re…not mad about that?” He asked her nervously. She shook her head, while trying to gain composure.

“I liked it.” Rachel said shyly.

“Me, too.” He beamed at her.

“What does this mean for us?” She pulled away and sat on the couch.

Kolby quickly found a seat next to her. “I want you to be my girlfriend. I really likeyou, Rachel Carter. I need to ask your parents if we can date. I want their permission.”

“I want to be your girlfriend. My parents are upstairs. Go ask them.” She pushed his arm, hoping he would walk upstairs and ask.

“There are too many people at your house. I have to meet my mom and her new boyfriend. Can I come back and ask them tomorrow? Can you wait that long?” He took her hand in his.

“I can wait as long as it takes. You better go so you won’t be late.” She quickly gave him a peck on the lips.

Nick quickly ran up the steps.

They both got up, and she walked him out.

-----------------------

Decorating the house made me tired. Almost everything was finished. I still had a few more decorations to hang up and about a dozen more types of cookies to make. I appreciated all the help I had gotten from my family.

Nick walked into the bedroom. His hair was still wet from the shower. He was wearing red flannel pajama pants with no shirt. He looked good enough to eat.

“I know a secret.” He sang. He pulled the covers down and got into bed with me.

“You are so bad at keeping secrets. Are you going to tell me?” I chuckled.

“Our daughter had her first kiss today.” My eyes widen. He had to be lying. Rachel would have surely told me.

“You’re lying!”

“I saw it and heard it. It happened in the studio.” He fluffed a pillow and placed it behind his back.

“Why were you spying on them? She would be so pissed at you.”

“I wasn’t spying on them. I needed to check on something.” He smiled sheepishly at me.

“You were spying.” I kissed his cheek. I couldn’t be mad at him. This was my baby, and she was growing up.

“Fine, I was spying.” He rolled his eyes at me. “He asked her to be his girlfriend. She said yes. He wants to get permission from us.”

“Wow, Kolby sounds really mature. What sixteen year old would ask permission to date someone’s daughter? That’s so sweet.” I gushed.

“I guess. That’s my baby. She’s too young to date. She needs to be at least forty.” He said sadly.

“Nick, they have to grow up sometime. I guess we better get used to her dating. I’m sure he’s going to be one of many.” I patted his arm. It was hard for him to see her grow up. She had always been a daddy’s girl.

“Does that mean we’re giving them permission to date?” He grumbled.

“Yes we are. Kolby is a great guy. I think he will make a great first boyfriend for her.”

“But he’s a Timberlake.” Nick whined. I shook my head at him.

“You are too much.” I quickly straddled my husband’s lap making him forget about Timberlake’s and puppy love.

I placed a kiss on his mouth and my hand ran down his chest.

“Are you paying me for my work?”

“The first time we make love will be to repay you for all your hard work. The second time is because I can’t get enough of you.”

Nick’s hands moved underneath my t-shirt. I moaned in his ear. Everything else was immediately forgotten.



 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Defying Gravity -- From Wicked