- Text Size +

I was sitting in the doctor’s office waiting for my appointment. Of course, Dr. Viceroy was running late due to an earlier delivery. I sat in the uncomfortable plastic chair flipping through a magazine. I was bored, tired, and cranky.

Nick wasn’t able to attend the appointment due to some pressing Backstreet Boys meeting. It didn’t really bother me. After seven kids, we both knew the ins and outs of babies.

My mom was at home watching Rory and the triplets. I assumed she had her hands full at the moment. Luckily, Rachel would be home in about fifteen minutes to help.

I looked at my watch. I had been sitting here for almost an hour. I had read about five magazines. I was starting on my sixth, when my cell phone rang.

“Hello!”

“Mrs. Carter, this is Aiden’s school. He’s still here waiting to be picked up.”

“His older brother was supposed to pick him up today. I will have someone come get him as soon as possible. I’m so sorry. Is he okay?”

“Mrs. Carter, Aiden is fine. He’s doing his homework.” Replied the secretary.

“Thanks. Once again I’m so sorry.” I clicked off my phone. Jackson was in so much trouble. I can’t believe he forgot to get his brother.

I quickly dialed Jackson’s cell.

“Hey, mom.” Jackson replied. There was a lot of noise in the background.

“Jackson, where are you?”

“I’m at the mall doing some Christmas shopping.”

“You were supposed to pick up your brother from school today.” I was so frustrated with him. There was no way he would be able to get to Aiden’s school to pick him up. The mall was a good half hour away.

“I’m sorry mom. I totally forgot.” Jackson apologized. I could hear a girl giggling in the background.

“Get yourself home now. We’ll talk about this when I get home.” I hung up on him.

It was know time to make yet another phone call. Nick would have to pick Aiden up. I had no other choice. I hated calling Nick during a meeting.

“Hello. Nick speaking.”

“Nick, you need to go pick Aiden up at school.” I came right to the point.

“Baby, I’m in a meeting. Wasn’t Jacks supposed to get him today?”

“Yes, he was, but he decided to go to the mall instead. I’m at the doctor’s. He is running behind schedule so I can’t get him. You have to get him.”

“Jackson’s ass is grass. I’ll call the school and let them know I will be there in ten minutes.”

“Thanks Nicky. If Kevin gets pissed, tell him to talk to me.”

“I will. I’m going to take Aiden back to the meeting with me.”

“Ok. Love you.”

---------------------------------

When I walked into the house, I smelled chicken and dumplings. What a heavenly smell. My mom must have made dinner. That was very sweet of her.

“Mommy, I got to go to a Backstreet Boys meeting. It was so fun. I want to be a manager. Jenn taught me all kinds of things.” Aiden said excitedly.

“I’m glad you enjoyed it. Is your homework finished?”

“I got it done before daddy picked me up.”

“How was your appointment?” Nick walked in and gave me a peck on the cheek.

“It was good. Dr. Viceroy made an appointment for me in two weeks. He wants to keep a close watch on me because of my age. Is Jackson home yet?”

“Not yet.”

The front door opened and in walked in a disheveled Jackson. He definitely wasn’t shopping.

“Dinner is ready.” My mom called from the kitchen.

“Aiden go eat. Tell grandma that mommy and I are going to talk with Jackson. We’ll eat later.” Nick said as he pointed to the studio. Jackson and I knew what he meant.

The three of us went into Nick’s studio for a family chat. Jackson looked pissed. Nick looked even more pissed. I was tired, annoyed, and hungry. I just wanted to get this over with.

“What happened today?”

“I forgot that I had to pick up Aiden after school. It was a mistake. Sue me.” Jackson answered with attitude.

“Your mom and I both reminded you. Where were you?” Nick sat on the edge of the couch.

“I went to the mall.” Jackson acted coolly. He didn’t seem to care about his actions.

“Where’s your packages? Why are your clothes so rumpled?”

“I left them in the car. A couple of the guys and I were roughhousing.” He had an answer for everything.

“How about I go check your car?” Nick started to stand up. It was like a battle of wills between the two of them.

“Go right ahead. I’m telling the truth.” Jackson glared at his father.

“Give me your keys.” Nick held his hand out. Jackson threw them and hit his father’s shoulder.

Nick picked the keys off the floor and quickly went outside.

“Was the necessary?” I asked quietly.

“Mom, dad is acting like a jerkwad. I’m telling the truth. I made a fucking mistake. I’m not perfect like Rachel.”

“Please watch your language. No one is comparing you to Rachel. You need to let that go. This is about you.”

“Yeah, I’m the only one who ever gets in trouble. I hate this house. Why should I have to be responsible for picking up Aiden?”

“Jackson Nickolas Brian Carter, you act like we make you pick him up every day. I had a doctor’s appointment and you dad was in a meeting.”

“Yes, your lives are more important than mine. I’m just the son who has to obey.”

“You are fortunate to have a car. With that luxury, you also have to help your parents. You knew that from the beginning.” I stopped when Nick walked back in.

“I didn’t find any shopping bags. You can give this back to the girl you were with.” Nick threw a red thong at my son.

Jackson turned five shades of red. He placed the thong in his coat pocket.

“Why did you lie to us?” I asked in confusion. At this very moment, I didn’t know my own son. We didn’t raise him that way.

“Leave me the fuck alone. I hate this house. I hate this family. I wish you would have gotten that divorce years ago.” He stood up and screamed.

“SIT BACK DOWN.” Nick yelled. I had never seen Nick so angry in my life. Jackson immediately sat down. He looked scared.

“Nick, calm down.” Tears started to fall slowly from my eyes.

“Jacks, I’m sorry you don’t like it here. You’re the one making bad choices and lying about them. You need to think about what kind of choices you need to make. You’re grounded until Christmas. That means no social life. I’m also taking your car and cell phone away. I’ll drive you to and from school. You will spend your free time at home.”

“You’re a fucking asshole dad. I hate you.” Jackson tore out of the room.

“Thanks. I love you, too.” Nick screamed.

“Nick, that’s enough. Don’t stoop to the level of a teenager. Did you think he was going to be happy with that punishment?”

“No.”

“Do you think next time you might want to include me in the choice of punishments?”

“I thought you would agree with me.” He looked at me.

“I do, but I would like to discuss it as parents. I thought we were a team.”

“We are a team.” He sat down next to me.

“I know, but sometimes you react without even considering my thoughts about it.”

“I’m sorry. Jackson just gets to me.”

“That’s because you are both so much alike.”

“I know. Let’s go eat. I’m starved.”

He took my hand and we slowly got up. Then we went upstairs to enjoy dinner with our family.