- Text Size +

Life was still very busy for the Carter household. Nick was working. The kids were busy at school. My mom was watching the triplets and Rory. I was over at the new house trying to get it ready for us to move in after Christmas.

I was busy attempting to make Liam and Lucas room look like a pirate ship. Nick had done an excellent job at painting the walls. He had painted ocean waves, island with palm trees and a gigantic pirate ship. We had even ordered a pirate ship loft for the boys to sleep in. They were going to be surprised when they saw it.

I was placing the comforter on the bed when the door bell rang. I set the comforter down and headed downstairs. It seemed to take me five minutes to get to the front door. This house was enormous.

I opened the door to see Sage standing there. All I could do was grin at her because I kept thinking about her and Howie in my foyer the other night.

“Stop looking at me like that.” She pushed her way inside. “I brought lunch.”

We headed into the kitchen and sat at the island. This was the only place that had seats in the entire house.

“So tell me about Howie?”  I took the food out the bag, not realizing how hungry I was.

“What about him?” Sage grabbed a fry.

“I want to know what happened at the party. The scene in the foyer left me with nightmares.”

“Yeah right. I know Nick took you upstairs and fucked your brains out.”

I blushed. Sage knew all too well about by sex life.

“I want to know about your sleeping with Howie.”

“Oh my fucking gosh, if I knew Howie was such a tiger in bed I would have slept with him years ago.” Sage fanned herself off.

“Is this the same Howard Dorough you tried to tell me was gay since I met you?”

“Yes, I can admit I was wrong. It was the best sex I’ve ever had.” She sighed dreamily. “I don’t know what is wrong with Jordan. How could she not want to sleep with him?”

“I don’t know. Things change when you’re married. How are things with Marc?” I bit into my burger.

“I met with my lawyer today.  He should be getting the divorce papers by the end of the week.” She looked at me sadly. “Before he left today, he told me that his teenaged slut is pregnant.”

“Sage, I’m sorry to hear that. I know how much you’ve wanted children.” I hugged my best friend.

“It wasn’t meant to be.”

“Maybe things will work out with Howie. He’s a good guy.” I suggested. I wanted to see Sage happy.

“I don’t think so. Howie is nice and good in bed, but it would never work.”

“I’m not going to press the issue. Though I think you should give him a chance when both are ready to start dating. He’s going through enough with Jordan at the moment.”

“Howie’s not looking for a relationship. He was pissed. I went down to talk to him. Both of us were horny. We fucked but it didn’t mean anything. We’re not you and Nick.” Sage commented with a bite.

“Oh, you think my marriage is perfect. Yeah, right. You are talking about the couple that almost got divorced twice.” I replied back. Everyone thought Nick and I were the perfect couple. We had our share of problems like everyone else.

“What the hell Ash? I know the first time, but what have you been hiding from your best friend?”

“When Aiden was about three, I lost all interest in sex and intimacy. I wouldn’t let Nick touch me, cuddle me, or anything. I was just over it I guess. After about six months he was fed up. I couldn’t blame him, but I couldn’t give in to him.”

“Oh, Ash.”

“He decided that he needed time away from me to figure out what he wanted. Nick decided to go to L.A. for six months to work on a solo record. We didn’t talk to each other for six months except to discuss the kids. I was left with three kids on my own. It was the worse time of my life.” The memories brought tears to my eyes.

“But you ended up happily ever after.” Sage smiled at me.

“Yeah, because I ended up going to therapy. I was quite bitter with Nick for leaving me. All I’m saying is my marriage it not perfect. No relationship is perfect. Maybe something good could happen between you and Howie.

---------------------------------------------

Nick walked into the bedroom. I was sitting on the bed writing in my journal. He took the journal and pen from my hands and set them on the table.

“You’ve been quiet all night. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” I shrugged. I didn’t feel like talking to Nick. I was tired and still upset about my conversation with Sage.

“Are you feeling okay?” He asked tenderly.

“I’m fine Nick.” I stood up and walked into the bathroom.

I grabbed my toothbrush from the holder and place some toothpaste on it. I started brushing my teeth. Nick walked in and sat down on the edge of the tub. I pretended to ignore him.

“What’s got you pissed? Did I do something?”

I rinsed my mouth and wiped it on a towel. Then I walked back into the bedroom. I got under the covers and turned off the light. I pretended to be asleep. A few minutes later Nick walked into the room and got into bed. He snuggled next to me and started whispering in my ear.

“I don’t know what it wrong. I’m sorry something is bothering you. I’m hear to listen to you when you’re ready to talk. I love you.”

My heart melted at his kindhearted words. Why did he have to treat me so good all of the time? I had no reason to be upset with him.

I sat up and turned on the lights.

“Nick, I’m sorry I’m acting like a bitch. A conversation I had with Sage today brought back some memories for me.”

“Baby girl, tell me about it.” He rubbed stomach.

“Sage is asking Marc for a divorce. Then she brings up how perfect our marriage is. I got kind of annoyed because everyone thinks we have it so easy. I told her about how we almost got divorced the second time. Since then I’ve been in a bad mood.”

“Ashy it’s okay to feel upset. That was a hard time for us. It’s hard because we make our marriage look easy. You and I both know we put a lot of work into making our marriage work. I would never trade anything that has happened to us good or bad. Everything has made our marriage and love stronger. Our friends and family just don’t see our struggles as much because we focus on loving our children and one another.” He kissed me on the cheek.

That small peck meant more to me than making love to my husband. I knew that Nick would be by my side whether good or bad. We stood by each other no matter what. He made me realize why people would be jealous of our marriage. All I know is that I am content with my marriage through good times and bad.