- Text Size +

It was Friday night in the Carter house which meant a relaxing dinner of pizza and a movie in the living room. This was one of my favorite meals of the week. We all relaxed and enjoyed each other’s company. Sometimes it was just the little ones and other times it was all the kids. Jackson and Rachel were involved in activities that they missed the family night.

I was getting the kids settled in the living room, as Nick walked in with the pizza. Logan was clinging to her tattered copied of “If You Give a Moose a Muffin.” Aiden was picking out the movie. Liam and Luke were rolling around on the floor. I was feeding Rory a bottle.

Jackson was helping out at the school art festival for extra credit. Rachel was a play rehearsal.

Nick placed the pizza on the coffee table.

“Nick can you get the little ones some drinks? Please put them in sippy cups.” I asked nicely.

“Baby girl, I know to put them in sippy cups. I’ve been doing this for many years.” He complained as he walked towards the kitchen.

“I love you Nick, but you don’t always put the drinks in sippy cups.” I commented to annoy him. “Aiden go help your father.”

Rory finished her bottle. I placed her over my shoulder and she gave a burp that her daddy would be proud of. I set Rory in her baby seat.

Nick carried a tray of sippy cups.  He quickly passed them out to the kids.

“Here.” He handed me a sippy cup. “Just in case you might spill it. I don’t want to have to clean up a big mess.”

He smirked at me. I rolled my eyes and smacked the back of his head. What a smartass.

Before I could reply with a comment, Rachel burst through the door. She threw her bag on the floor and started jumping around.

“Guess what?”

“What is it sweetheart?” Nick asked smiling at his daughter.

“I got a lead in the musical. I’m going to be Glinda the Good Witch.” She squealed.

“Congrats Rachel. I’m so proud of you.” I hugged my daughter.

“I knew you were going to get a leading role.” Nick pulled her close and swung her around.

“Thanks mom and daddy. I’m the only freshman with a leading role.  Did you know Jackson is going to be in it?”

“Really?” I looked at my husband. Jackson was not into the performing arts. I knew something had to be up.

“Yes. Mrs. Grayson said that because Jackson got in trouble at school today that his punishment had to be that he participated in the play.” Rachel sat down next to Lo Lo and opened the pizza box.

“What did your brother do?” Nick asked.

“I’ll let him tell you.” She said as she bit into her pizza.

Jackson was a good young man. He had never been in trouble at school. I wondered what he did that forced his principal to make him participate in the play. It just gave me one more thing to worry about.

Aiden placed the movie in the DVD player. Everyone got quiet and started to watch the movie. I love spending time with my family. I attempted to put Jackson out of my mind.

-------------------------

Nick walked into the living room. He sat next to me on the couch.

“Thanks for putting the kids to bed. It was sweet of you.” I kissed his cheek.

“Anytime. Lo Lo made me read that moose story again. I’m glad it makes her happy, but I have it memorized.” He sighed.

“I know. The words run through my head when I’m sleeping. Eventually she will move on to another book.” I snuggled closer to him. “At least she’s starting to say a few more sounds.”

“So what do you think Jackson did?”

“I don’t know. He’s never been in a lot of trouble. I’m really starting to worry about him.” I said as the door opened.

“Hey mom. Hey dad.” Jackson sauntered into the room.

“How was the arts festival?” Nick inquired.

“Oh it was fine.” He sunk into the chair.

“How was play rehearsal?”

“What do you mean, mom?”

“I heard you’re going to be in Wicked.” I said casually. I looked at my son.

“Umm…yeah. I decided to expand my horizons and umm try something different.” Jackson shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“What did you do?” Nick asked. He just cut to the chase. I would have beaten around the bush. Sometimes I had trouble talking to Jackson. I didn’t feel as close to him as I did when he was younger. He was growing up and becoming independent.

“What do you mean? I didn’t do anything.”

“Jackson you’ve never wanted anything to do with performing. Why now?”

Jackson sat there looking at us. The look on his face showed that he had gotten into some type of trouble. I prayed that he would tell us the truth and save himself from getting into more trouble.

“Why do you care so much? Can’t a guy change his mind?” He said coolly.

“Jackson what has gotten into you lately? You’ve changed and not for the better.”

“Mom, I’m trying to figure out who I am. It’s not easy in this household to know who you are.”

I was shocked at my son’s statement. Jackson had always been sensitive, but I’ve never thought that he was a lost soul.

“What do you mean?” I scooted to the edge of the couch.

“It’s hard to describe. I just sometimes feel like I don’t belong. It’s like I’m just here to help with the younger kids.”

“But every time we want to spend time with you, you’re too busy. You hideout in your room or out with friends. It’s like you don’t want to be part of this family.”

“It’s not like that Dad. I love this family. Damn, I don’t know what I want or who I am.” Jackson raked his hands through his hair. “I got in trouble during lunch today. I was caught in the auditorium with a girl.”

“What were you doing?” Nick questioned sharply.

“We just went in there to talk. Then we kissed. We didn’t do anything else.”

“How did you get into trouble?”

“Mrs. Grayson came in with her drama class and caught us kissing. She talked with Principal Saunders, and now I’m stuck being in that damn musical.”

“Jackson, I hope that is all that happened. I’m going to call the principal and make sure your story checks out.” Nick told his son.

“Whatever. Don’t believe me.” Jackson got up and stormed out of the room.

“What are we going to do with him? He’s worrying me.”

“I hope it’s just a phase. Maybe we do rely on Jackson to much.”

“Maybe, Nick. Why don’t you and Jackson go on the boat tomorrow? I think some man time would do you both some good.”

“Yeah, that sounds perfect. Let’s go to bed.” He stood up and grabbed my hand to pull me up.

Quietly we went upstairs to bed.