- Text Size +

The last week was hectic at our house. Rachel and Jackson were busy with rehearsals for Wicked. Aiden had his Christmas piano recital. Added to all this was the excited of Christmas and Santa coming. It was now Christmas Eve.

We had just come back from Christmas Eve service at church. I put the little ones in their pajamas and settled them in the family room. Jackson made his way into the room and sat down on the floor next to Lo Lo. Nick entered a few moments later carrying Rory in her little red jammies. All we were waiting for was Rachel.

“I wonder what’s keeping Rachel.” I said aloud.

“She was on her phone when I walked past her room.” Jackson commented.

“Who would be calling on Christmas Eve?”

“I don’t know Nick. Let me go see if she’s done with her call.” I stood up and went to find my daughter.

I saw her standing sitting at the top of the steps. I noticed the red splotches on her face and noticed she was crying. I quickly made my way to her.

“Mom, Kolby broke up with me.” She bawled.

“Oh Rachey. I’m so sorry.” I wrapped her in my arms. What kind of jerk would dump someone on Christmas Eve? I wanted to cuss at that stupid Timberlake boy. He had no right to hurt my daughter. It broke my heart to see her this upset over a guy. I knew it wouldn’t be the last time.

“What is wrong with me?” She sniffled. “I really thought he liked me.”

“Why did he break up with you?” I inquired lightly.

“Kolby said I wasn’t worth the trouble. He says that he doesn’t want a girl that won’t put out. Then he told me that I was a tease because I flirted and got him hard, but wouldn’t sleep with him.”

“Sweetheart, I’m sorry he said all those nasty things about you. You know they aren’t true. I’m proud that you want to wait until marriage. It’s your body and your choice. Rachel, you are strong young women. Most girls would just give in to a guy. You are strong in your beliefs.”

“But mom, I really cared about Kolby. I thought he was the one. I wanted to be like you and dad and find true love the first time.” She looked up at me with her bright blue eyes.

“Honey, don’t try to live mine and your dad’s relationship. We are far from perfect. Do you realize it took us years to get things right. We fought and broke up many times. When you’re a little older I’ll give you my journal.” I squeezed her closer to me. “Just remember no guy is worth you changing yourself. The right guy will tell you that you are worth all the trouble in the world.”

“Thanks mom. I love you.”

“Now go freshen up. We have some presents to open.”

Rachel slowly stood up and ran to her room. I made my way down to the family room.

“Is everything okay?” Nick looked up from the book he was reading to Lucas and Liam.

“Sort of. Kolby broke up with her.”

“He’s a jackass. That little punk better not come around me.” Jackson glared.

“Relax Jacksy. I didn’t realize you cared so much about me.” Rachel walked into the room.

“You’re my sister. I’ll kick any guy’s ass that messes with you.”

Rachel walked over and gave her brother a hug.

“Resents time. Resents time.” The little boys screamed.

It was a Carter family tradition that each kid got to open two presents from their parents. Then on Christmas morning we opened presents from Santa.

Nick started passing out the presents to the kids. Wrapping paper started flying around the room. We used to make them open their gifts one at a time, but when the triplets came it just took to long.

“Mom and Dad thank you for the concert tickets.” Jackson said graciously. Nick was always able to get tickets to Jackson’s favorite groups.

“Tank you mama and daddy.” Lucas started opening his new action figure.

“I wuv it.” Liam was playing with the pirate ship he got.

Lo Lo was happily hugging her new moose stuffed animal. Rachel was looking through the new ballet book she had gotten. Rory was asleep in Nick’s arms. Aiden was playing his new DS game. Everyone was happy and that made me smile.

---------------------------------

“Merry Christmas Ashton!” Nick placed a quick kiss on my mouth.

“Merry Christmas Nickers.”

We were in bed cuddling. I knew in just a few short hours the kids would be running in to wake us up. We hadn’t even gone to bed yet. After the kids went to bed, we played Santa. Then we spent the night making love.

“I forgot to give you your present.”

“I don’t need any presents. You’ve done so much for me. All I need is your love.”

“Ashton, I just feel bad that I’m going to be going on tour and leaving you with all this chaos. It isn’t fair.” He played with my curls.

“Nick, I understand that your job is demanding and that you have to go on the road. I accepted that years ago. Sure things will be tough, but it will work out. It always does.” I caressed his cheek. I knew that things were going to be hard with him gone, but music was his passion. I would never get in the way of that.

“I just worry with the pregnancy and Lo Lo’s issues that you are going to be stressed. Plus if Jackson’s attitude doesn’t change, I worry that he’ll give you a hard time.”

“I love you.” I kissed him slowly. “Everything will be fine. Not perfect but fine. I want you to enjoy the tour. The crazy Carter’s will manage to survive. My mom will be here to help. As long as you call me everyday, I will be a happy woman.”

“I love you Ashton, with all that I am. Here’s your Christmas present.” Nick quickly rolled over and took an envelope out of his nightstand. He handed it to me.

Quickly I opened it. Inside were gift certificates for a spa and my favorite baby store. There was also a certificate for maid service for a year. The maid would be coming to the house two times a week to clean for me. The last thing inside the envelope was a plane ticket to meet up with Nick on tour.

“Nick, that was so sweet of you.” I kissed him slowly, placing my tongue inside his mouth. We kissed for a few minutes.

“I just want you to have it easier while I’m gone. You deserve to have some time to yourself. I want you and the baby to be healthy.”

“Thank you. I love you. Make love to me again.”

“Anything you wish.”