- Text Size +

“Right this way Mr. and Mrs. Carter.” The nurse called us in. We followed her into the examining room.

Nick placed Rory on the examining table. We were there for her six month check up.

“Good morning Carter family.” Dr. Viceroy smiled at us. She was always very friendly. Rory cooed and clapped her hands. “She’s a very happy baby.”

Dr. Viceroy started examining Rory. She sat there smiling and playing with a little stuffed bear the doctor gave her.

“Is your husband’s day filled with appointments?” Nick asked.

“Umm…I believe he just had a cancellation. Do you need a pap smear, Nick?” The doctor joked as she was looking at Rory’s ears.

“No.  Ashton needs a pregnancy test.”

“Well, I know that I’m pregnant. We just want to confirm it.”

“Well this beautiful girl is very healthy. She’s right where she should be. How’s Logan doing?” Dr. Viceroy was holding our little pumpkin.

“We’re still worried about her. She’s starting eat a little more. Lo Lo is making more facial expressions like smiling, but it’s not all the time. Most of the time she’s staring off into space and she’s still not talking. We are going to see Dr. Martin after Christmas.”

“Good. Dr. Martin will be very helpful. I’ll go get my husband.”

The doctor left. Nick was bouncing Rory on his knee. She was giggling. My stomach was feeling unsettled. I reached for my purse and took out a package of crackers. I started nibbling.

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Carter. Wow, Rory’s getting big. My wife said you think you’re pregnant.”

“Yeah. I think after seven pregnancies I know the signs.” I commented.

“That is true. When was your last period?” He asked.

“October fourth.”

“I’m going to take some blood and then I’ll do an ultrasound.” He put his gloves on and took my hand. He quickly drew some blood.

I looked at Nick. Rory was fast asleep against his chest. It was a precious sight that made tears fall from my eyes. He smiled at me.

“Lie back.”

I did what he asked and lifted my shirt. Dr. Viceroy placed the cold gel on my stomach. Nick was by my side, holding my hand. We all looked at the screen.

“You are definitely pregnant. It looks like you are due in July. Make an appointment for two weeks from now. Congratulations.”

“Thanks Dr. Viceroy.”

----------------------------------------

“Family meeting in five minutes.” Nick yelled loud enough for the whole family to hear.

I sat on the couch with the triplets. They were listening to Aiden reading a story. Rachel walked in a sat down next to Aiden. Jackson walked in looking pissed that we disturbed him.  Nick walked in holding Rory.

I picked up Logan and placed her on my lap. Nick sat down next to me.

“Is this going to take long?” Jackson asked rudely.

“Jackson, you’re so rude. Chill out.” Rachel was sick of her brother’s attitude.

“Go to hell, Ice Princess.” He flicked his sister off.

“Both of you stop.” Nick warned. He grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze.

“You’re kissing daddy off.” Liam yelled at his older siblings. We all started laughing.

“That’s enough Liam. We have something we want to tell you.”

“All of you are going to have a new brother or sister in July.” Nick gushed.

I looked at the reactions of each of my children. Aiden was in deep thought. Rachel had a smile on her face. Jackson had his head tipped back with his eyes closed.

“Mommy, I be a big brother and take care of new baby like Rory.” Lucas said walking over and giving Rory a kiss. She balled up her fist and punched him in the nose. “She punches hard.”

“Mom and dad, do you know how much it’s going to cost you to have one more baby?” Aiden said. He was the businessman of the family.

“No Aiden, we don’t. Write it down for us.”

“Mommy congrats. You’re such a great mom. This baby is going to be so lucky to have a mom like you.” Rachel hugged me. “Daddy. I’m so happy for you. This baby is going to have so much fun with you as its dad.”

“Thanks Rachel.” Nick hugged his daughter.

“Okay, little ones lets go watch a movie in the rec room.” She took Lo Lo and placed her on the floor. Then she picked up Rory. The rest of the kids followed her.

I sat there watching my oldest son. He wouldn’t even look at us. I knew he was upset. I understood why he was mad, but it hurt me.

“Jackson do you have any thoughts about this?”

“Dad, do you want my honest opinion or do you want me to say what you want to hear.”

“We want your honest opinion. I can see your upset.”

“I’m more than upset. This is fucking ridiculous. I can’t believe you got her pregnant again. Can’t you use a condom?” He raised his voice. His words stung me.

“Your mom and I’s sex life is not your business. If we want to have twenty children, we can.” Nick was frustrated at his oldest son’s attitude.

“Oh, but you can butt into my sex life.”

“That’s different Jackson. You’re still a minor. I’m sorry if I embarrass you. It was never my intention to embarrass you. I can’t make you be happy about this, but that won’t change the fact that you are going to be a big brother again.”

“Whatever.” He got up and walked out.

------------------------------------

Jackson sat on his bed and dialed a number.

“Hello.”

“Hey Karah.” He said glumly.

“What’s wrong?”

“Mom’s pregnant again?”

“You don’t sound happy.”

“I’m not. It’s embarrassing.”

“Why?”

“Why do you have to question me about it? I just want to complain.” He started kicking his soccer ball between his feet.

“You called me. I’m just trying to be a good cousin.”

“Sorry Karah. I’m acting like a prick.”

“You are.” She laughed.

“Go to hell.”

“So why are you embarrassed?”

“All my parents do is have sex. Then they freak out about me having sex. It’s ridiculous.”

“You’re not going to like what I have to say.  They are adults in a relationship. You’re a teen. There’s a difference.”

“No one ever is on my side. Everyone at school makes fun of us. We have a huge family.”

“Get over yourself, Carter. You should consider yourself lucky. You have a family that loves you. I was stuck with a mom that didn’t even want me or my sisters. She made that known to us everyday. She didn’t even love my dad. You’re parents love and adore you. Jacks, you don’t know how lucky you are.”

“Karah, I’m sorry.  I didn’t even realize how jerky I sound.  I’m sorry your mom treated you that way. At least you have your dad. He loves you so much.”

“I forgive you. My dad is great. Just be thankful you have a wonderful family. I got to go. Sarah wants to go shopping.”

“Talk to you later Littrell.” Jackson flipped his phone shut.

Karah made him realize he was acting like a jerk. Things were going to change.