- Text Size +

Nick was sitting in IHOP with his daughter. It was a monthly tradition to go out to breakfast with Rachel. He enjoyed bonding with his daughter.

“How’s school Pookie?” Nick asked his daughter.

“It’s good daddy. I love my drama class. Auditions for the spring musical are coming up.”

“Are you going to audition?”

“I might. I probably won’t get a leading role, but I would be happy dancing in the chorus.” Rachel played with one of her curls. It was a habit she had been trying to break since she was twelve.

“I think you would be great at whatever part you get. Tell me more about Kolby.” Nick was interested in the guy she had recently become friends with.

“I met him at youth group. Tarah introduce us. He goes to Tampa Christian Academy. He’s sixteen and just got his license. He also took the purity pledge and is waiting to have sex until he’s married.”

“He sounds impressive. Who are his parents?” He sipped his coffee.

“Well his mom is Tracy Baxter. His dad lives in L.A. He only sees him in the summer and at Christmas.”

“That must be hard for him. Makes me glad I get to spend all my time with you and your siblings.”

“Daddy.” She giggled. “Kolby says his dad knows you.”

“Who’s his dad?”

“Justin Timberlake.”

Nick coughed on his coffee.

“You okay daddy.” Rachel got up and patted him on the back.

“I’m fine.” He coughed. “You just startled me. So are you still doing the purity pledge?”

“Yes, daddy.  I pledge to wait until marriage when I was thirteen. I’m not going to change my mind. Did you know Brian’s daughters made that same pledge? Only Sarah broke it.”

“You’re becoming so mature. It’s hard to believe you’re fifteen. I remember when you were just a baby.” Nick smiled at his daughter.

The waitress brought their food and they began to eat.

“I know daddy. At least some of your children are maturing. Jackson such a creep.” Rachel took a bite of pancake.

“He is isn’t he?” Nick laughed. “Does he really get picked on at school?”

“Maybe a little from his friends. He spends more time making fun of me.”

“Why is he making fun of you? Why aren't you telling mom and me about it?” Nick asked seriously as he ate his breakfast. He got so much information when he talked to Rachel.

“He teases me about being a virgin. He thinks it’s funny that I don’t have sex. I don’t tell you or mom because you have so much going on right now. You have all the little kids to take care of. You have Logan to worry about. I don’t want to bother you about it. I really don’t care about Jackson.”

“Rachey, if something is bothering you please tell us. We have time for all of our kids.” Nick never wanted his children to think they didn’t have time for them. Each one was special.

“I know daddy. It’s really not a big deal. Jackson is mad at the world. I’m just his target. I have a thick skin. He’ll need me one day.” Rachel smiled at her dad.

“Anything else you want to tell me.”

“Nah. Can Kolby come to our family Christmas party?”

“I think that would be fine.”

-------------------------------

“If you give a moose a muffin, chances are he’ll want some jam.” Aiden read aloud to his little sister. Logan started bouncing on the couch.

“M…m….m…” She mumbled so quiet Aiden didn’t hear her.

“So you’ll bring out some of your mother’s homemade blackberry jam.”

“M….m….m…m…mmm.” Logan said in a louder voice.

“What did you say Lo Lo?” Aiden asked not sure if she said anything.

“M…m…mmm….mmm.”

“Lo Lo you’re talking. Let’s go tell mom.”

He pulled his sister off the couch. Then he dragged her into the kitchen.

“Mommy, Logan’s talking.” He said excitedly. Logan broke free from Aiden and started spinning around.

“Logan, stop honey. Come talk to mommy.”

Logan looked at me and smiled. My heart melted. Then she started spinning again.

“Aiden tell me what happened.” I inquired curiously.

“I was reading If You Give a Moose a Muffin. She started say m…m…mmmm. She did it more than once. I promise I’m not fibbing.” He said his emotions getting the best of him. Tears were about to fall from his eyes.

“I believe you. Why don’t you get the book and we’ll see if she will do it again.”

Aiden ran back to the living room. I prayed that he was telling the truth. My heart was breaking for our little girl. This would be the first time she spoke. God had to have heard my prayers these last few years.  I was also realistic to know that she would never talk.

Aiden brought the book into the kitchen. Logan saw the book and grabbed her brother’s hand. They both sat on the floor. Aiden opened the book and started to read.

“If you give a moose a muffin, chances are he’ll want some jam.” Aiden read slowly.

“M..m…mmm…mmm….mmmmm.” Lo Lo said quietly. Tears streamed from my eyes. My heart was in my throat. My baby was making sounds. God was answering my prayers. I knew we weren’t out of the woods yet, but this was the hope I was waiting for.

“So you’ll bring out some of your mother’s homemade blackberry jam.” Aiden continued on.

“Mmm…mmmm…mmmmmmm.” She smiled at me.

“Little mouse, you’re talking. Mommy is so proud of you.” I picked her up and gave her a tight squeeze.

“MMMMMM….MMM….MMMMM.” She screamed.

“Good job, Lo Lo. You’re talking. Keep talking little sis.”

“MMMMMMM….MMMMMMMMMMM….MMMMM.” She squirmed in my arms. I let her down and she ran to the door.

She opened the door and starting talking. “MMMMM….MMMMM….MMM…MMMM…MMMMMMMM.”

Nick stood in the doorway with his mouth opened in awe.

“Lo Lo, you talking to daddy?”

She held her arms up, telling her daddy she wanted picked up. Nick scooped her up.  “Talk to daddy.”

“mmm…mmmm….mmmm…mmm…mmm.” She whispered in his ears. I saw the tears drop from his eyes. He placed kisses all over her face. She giggled and struggled to get down.

“MMMM….mmmm…mmmm…mmm.” Logan ran out of the room babbling. Aiden followed her.

“Oh, Ashton. She’s finally starting to use her words. How did it happen?”

“I know, Nick.” I couldn’t stop the tears from falling. “Aiden was reading to her and she started to babble.”

“Baby girl, I don’t even know what to say. We are so lucky. God is so good to us.”

Nick wiped my tears away. I did the same to him. Our lips met in a heartfelt kiss. We were sharing our happiness and joy for what God had given us. We were truly thankful for everything in our life, but especially for our children.