- Text Size +

“Kids it’s time to go to Uncle Kevin’s house. Rachel will you help the triplets with their coats?  I need to talk to Jackson.” Rachel nodded her head and started helping Logan with her jacket.

“I need you to help me get the kids over there.  You can take Aiden and Rachel with you. I will take everyone else.” Nick told his son the plan.

“Isn’t mom going?” Jackson had never seen his mom not want to visit family.

“She’s not feeling well. After what happened at dinner, I don’t think she wants to see any of us. She’s pissed off about it. Go get Rory from the nursery and we can leave.”

A few minutes later everyone was ready to go. Nick put Rory in her car seat. She was happily babbling. Liam and Lucas were running around in the front yard.

“Let’s go boys.” They continued chasing each other, ignoring their dad.

Nick decided to get Lo Lo in her booster seat. He picked her up and placed her in the seat. Then he went after his two energetic sons. They both thought he was playing so they continued to run around.

“Would you two stop? We need to get to Uncle Kevin’s” He said slightly out of breath. Jackson had already left with the others.

The boys didn’t pay attention to him. He quickly ran toward Lucas and picked him up. Then he carried him to the van. Liam sat on the porch. Nick walked over to him.

“Let’s go.”

“I wanta stay home wif mommy.”

“Mommy doesn’t feel well.”

“I no go. I make her betterer.” Liam stayed firmly planted on the porch.

“We don’t have time for this. We need to leave now.” Nick warned and grabbed his son and lugged him to the car. Liam started crying.

He couldn’t comprehend how his wife did this all by herself on a daily basis. He was having difficulty this one time. Nick gave her a lot of credit.

The twenty minute drive to Kevin’s was pure hell. Liam continued to cry.  This made Lo Lo start to cry. Rory’s babbles got louder and louder. Lucas started crying when he realized he peed his pants. Nick had a headache and just wanted to go home.

When he got to the Richardson house, Jackson, Rachel and Aiden were there to help. He was never so happy to see his older children.

Rachel took Rory. Aiden walked to the house with Lo Lo who stopped crying because he had her favorite book. Jackson placed Liam on his shoulder, which caused him to giggle. Nick grabbed the bag with a change of clothes for Lucas.

Everyone tromped into the Richardson’s house. Kevin and Nia was welcoming them all with open arms. Nick pushed his way through to the nearest bathroom to change Lucas.

---------------------------------

“Kevin, I forgot the dessert. Sorry, man.” Nick said sheepishly. Today had to be one of the worst days of his life. Everything was going wrong since dinner.

“It’s ok. We have plenty. Just sit down and relax. Where’s Ashton?” Kevin asked curiously, not seeing his sister.

“She’s not feeling well.”

“Kevin, can I talk to Nick privately?” Ann asked her youngest son.

“Sure mom. I’ll be in the living room.” He walked away.

Nick sat at the dining room table with his mother-in-law. He loved her dearly. She was kind, caring, and understanding. She was like a mother to him. Ann was priceless.

“You seem a little stressed.” She said with concern.

“Things are hectic at home.”

“I’m sure they are. Ashton tells me some, but I know she’s hiding things.”

“It’s like everything is happening at once for us. Jackson’s graduating. Ash is taking that hard. She’s not ready for him to grow up, but he’s grown up in many ways.  She’s worried about Logan. She’s finally starting to say sounds, but her temper tantrums are getting worse.”

“I know all of that Nick. What is she hiding? She hasn’t been herself the last few times I’ve talked to her. Ashton seemed stressed when I talked to her the other day. I’m worried about her. She takes on to much.”

“Did she tell you she was pregnant?” Nick asked quietly. He assumed that she hadn’t from the conversation they were having. He thought Ann would be the first person she told.

“No, but that explains a lot. What were you both thinking? You don’t need another kid at this point in time.” Ann was furious. I had never seen her this way.

“We didn’t plan for it to happen.”

“Apparently. Did you ever hear of birth control?”

“Yes and we use it.”

“Not correctly. I thought you were both mature adults. How can keep getting yourself into this predicament? I really wonder about you two.”

“Ann, I’m sorry you feel this way. Ashton and I will love our baby just the way we love all of our other children. We will work hard like we always do to take care of our children. I’m sorry you are bent out of shape about this. I’ve never seen you this way. I can see why Ashton didn’t tell you.” Nick stood up and got ready to leave the room.

“Wait Nick. You’re right. I shouldn’t have reacted that way. I’m worried about Ashton. She’s so busy with the kids. She’s worried about Logan. You’re going on tour and leaving her to take care of seven kids while pregnant. That’s not how it should be.”

“What do you want me to do? Do you think I want to leave my family? I don’t, but I have to provide for them. Jackson going to college. Rachel’s getting serious about her dancing. She wants to take more lessons. I have mouths to feed and bodies to cloth. I’m sure the medical bills will be racking up for Lo Lo. What would you like me to do?” Nick freaked out. He was at his breaking point. He felt guilty enough for having to leave his family. Nick didn’t need his mother-in-law making him feel like shit.

“I don’t know. She just sounds so down. Why didn’t she come tonight?”Ann asked softly. She didn’t mean to go off on Nick, but when she realized her daughter wasn’t coming she was upset.

“Thanksgiving dinner was a fiasco. She wasn’t feeling well. The morning sickness has been all day and night sickness this time around. Ashton’s never had it this bad, so it’s been taking a toll on her.”

“What can I do to help you both out?”

“I was going ask you to stay with Ashton and the kids during the promotional tour. Ashton doesn’t want me to ask you, but I would feel better knowing someone was there to help.” Nick looked pleadingly at Ann.

“Nick, you know I have no problem spending time with my daughter and grandbabies. I will stay for as long as you want.”

“Well, I just bought a new house for the family. We have a guest cottage. If you want to move down here, the cottage is yours.” Nick smiled at her.

“Yes, I’ve heard about the mansion er…house. I’ve been thinking about selling the farm and moving down to Florida. You made my decision easier.” She hugged her son-in-law.

“Ann you don’t know how much this means to me. I love you, mom.”

Nick was feeling comforted by the fact that Ashton would have someone to help her when he was on tour.