- Text Size +

Brian opened the door and saw his best friend standing on the porch. It was the first time he smiled in weeks.

“What the hell are you doing here?”

“After I saw your tweet your Twitter yesterday, I had no choice but to come.” Nick stepped inside.

“I’m glad to see you. My life has been hell the past few days.”

“What happened?”

“Where do I begin?”

The two men walked into the living room and sat down. Nick wanted to know what was going on between Josie and Brian.

“Things have been tense. Josie’s still causing problems for me. I never thought she would hurt me like this.”

“This is the best friend you fucked three weeks before your wedding. You’re so innocent in all this.” Nick commented sarcastically. He hated how Brian always placed the blame Josie. Neither was blameless in this situation.

“You on her side now?”

“I’m not going there Brian. Josie and I spent a lot of time together. You both mean a lot to me. I wish you both would get your heads out of your asses and realize what is there.”

“And what is that?” Brian asked. He wondered why Nick cared so much.

“You both are so in love with each other.”

“I’m not in love with her.” Brian scowled. What kind of drugs was Nick on?

“Bullshit. Anyways, what happened?”

“I was talking to Josie, trying to be nice. She had left a paper on the table, so I decided to give it to her. It was Shane’s birth certificate. I’m his father.” Brian gave Nick the condensed version.

“That doesn’t surprise me. I asked you that the last time we talked.”

“It pisses me off that she never told me. I missed two years of his life.” Brian closed his eyes. He was starting to get a headache.

“Did it ever occur to you to ask her why she kept him a secret?”

“No. I really don’t care why she did it. It was wrong of her to not tell me. He’s my son, too.” Brian was full of anger. The more he talked to Nick the madder he got.

“I can’t believe I’m telling you this. God she’s gonna kill me. Josie was in love with you. She would have done anything you asked.  The night before you broke her heart, Tiara had a talk with her.”

“About what?”

“She basically told Josie to stay away from you. Tiara said that once you got married you wouldn’t want her around. You didn’t even notice that Tiara was pushing you two apart. She was doing the same with me. Josie and I spent so much time together because Tiara kept you on a short leash.”

“That’s not true. Why would Tiara do that?’

“She was threatened by your relationship with Josie.”

“We were best friends and nothing more.” Brian sighed. Was he that blind to not see what was going on in front of him?

“I never looked at my best friend that way.” Nick thought Brian was acting like an ass.

“That doesn’t change things. I can’t stand to look at her. All I care about is my son.”

“Then you better get your head out of you ass. Do you really think your son deserves a dad that hates his mother? You really need to think about it.”

--------------------------

I just got home from work and all I wanted to do was take Shane to the park. It was the only time my life seemed normal. There was so much tension in the Littrell household. Brian hated me. I was mad at him. Jackie was emotional, but was a godsend. She was so good to Shane. I knew that she loved him instantly. Harold kept quiet. I knew he was trying to stay out of it.

I heard Brian and another voice in the living room laughing. It was nice to hear him sounding happy. As much I as hated Brian at the moment, I could never really hate him.

I quietly walked into the living room hoping to go unnoticed, but when I saw who was sitting on the couch I screamed.

“Nick!!!”

He stood up and gave me a hug.

“How’s it going Jo-Jo?”

“It’s going. I can’t believe I haven’t seen you in three years. You’re still hot as hell.” I giggled.

Brian tensed up at the reunion. He didn’t like the way Nick was so touchy feely with Josie. Nick had his arm wrapped around my waist.

“And you my dear are even more gorgeous. Those three years have done you well. I hear you have a little boy. I can’t wait to meet him.”

“Nick, you flatter me to much. Shane Thomas will be home soon. He’s at the grocery store with Jackie.”

“I bet he’s as adorable as his mom.”  I smiled at him. It was good to see Nick. He was such a good friend to me.

“He’s the love of my life.”  I noticed that Brian was glaring at us. “I’m off to take a shower.”

“Can I join you?” He teased.

“In your dreams Carter.” I swayed my butt as I walked out of the room. I knew Nick would laugh and it would piss off Brian.

Brian glowered at Nick as he sat back down.

“What the matter Bri? You looked pissed off.”

“I can’t believe the way you were all over her.”

“I detect a bit of jealousy.” Nick grinned at his friend. This is what he wanted to see from Brian. He was going to help Brian realize that he was totally in love with Josie.

“There’s no jealousy. You just annoy me. You’re my best friend and you are all friendly with Josie.” Brian complained.

“What are we in grade school? I can’t believe that you are that jealous that I gave a friend a hug. Listen to yourself. You need to realize what everyone else does. You’re in love with her. I’m out of here. I’ll be back tomorrow.” Nick left Brian to his thoughts.

After Nick left, Brian stretched out on the couch. He thought about the things Nick said to him. Sure, he cared for Josie as friend or maybe a sister. Well, not a sister. You would never sleep with your sister. He thought about Tiara, but he never really thought about how she put a distance between them. What else did Nick know? He had a lot of questions and prayed that Nick had the answers. He was more confused than ever. Brian was still furious with Josie. Nick’s words couldn’t change that.