- Text Size +

Nick took me to his hotel room. There was no way I could go home and face Brian. I needed time to think. My mind was full of confusion. I sprawled out on the bed and was staring at the ceiling. Nick was sitting on the desk chair waiting for me to talk.

“Why would Brian say that to me?” I mumbled to myself.

“What happened?” Nick came over and laid next to me on the bed.

“He told me he loved me. I told him I didn’t believe him. After the way he’s treated me, I know it’s not true.”

“Why don’t you think it’s true?”

“Would your treat the woman you love the way Brian has treated me? He said things changed years ago, and yet that’s when he started treating me like crap.” I started to tear up again.

“I wouldn’t treat anyone I loved that way, but I think Brian was clueless about his feelings. I don’t agree with the way he handle it, but I know he loves you.”

“Nick, I know you’re trying to get us together, but you are wasting your time. It’s not going to work out between us. I see us getting along as parents but nothing else.”

“Jo-Jo, you’re such a liar. You know you love Brian. Deep down under that anger you’re thrilled he finally admitted that he loves you.”

“Actually, it’s a little too late in my book. I just don’t think love is enough.”

“Fine, keep lying to yourself.” Nick said frustrated. He was getting tired of Josie and Brian being stubborn. They were losing out on a good thing because of it.

“Nick, I’m not lying. I’ve just realized that Brian and I are not meant to be. I’ve changed. He’s changed. We’re not the same people. I love him and I always will, but maybe were not compatible".

“How will you know if you don’t give it a chance? You love him. He loves you, but both of you are afraid to actually take a chance.”

“Whatever. I’m done talking about it.” I got up and locked myself in the bathroom.

------------------------

Brian was sitting at the kitchen table when his mother walked in.

“You’re home early.” She put the tea kettle on. “Would you like some tea?’

“Yeah, things didn’t go as planned with Josie.” He sighed.

“You want to talk about?” Jackie took two cups out of the cupboard.

“I finally admitted to Josie that I love her and she didn’t believe me.”

“Sweetheart, she’s been hurt by you. Josie takes everything to heart. I bet she wasn’t expecting you to say that to her tonight. She doesn’t like surprises.”

“I know I hurt her. Everyday since it happened I’ve felt bad.  I can’t change things and every time I attempt to fix it she runs.”

“I’m assuming she ran tonight.” Jackie poured the water into the cups and handed one to her son. Then she sat down.

“Yes. It’s what she always does. She called Nick and had him pick her up. He wouldn’t even talk to me. I felt like the world’s biggest jerk.” Brian stirred his tea.

He didn’t realize how upset he really was about Josie running. Were things ever going to work out in his life? Would he ever be happy?  At first he thought he would be happily married to Tiara, and have lots of kids. When that didn’t work he moved on. Things were going great with Natasha, but even that relationship didn’t work out. He had nothing left. At times he felt broken. Maybe he was meant to live life alone. Brian didn’t want to be alone; he wanted to be loved by a woman. Not just any woman, he wanted to be loved by Josie.

“Nick’s just trying to be a good friend to both of you. He won’t pick sides. What did Josie say when you told her you love her?”

“She said that she didn’t believe me. That my actions didn’t show I loved her.” Brian cringed at his own words.

“You have been rude with her since you’ve been back. If I was her, I would have said the same thing.”

“Thanks, mom. That’s not what I wanted to hear.”

Jackie placed her hand on her son’s hand. She could see that he was upset. Deep in her heart she knew that Brian loved Josie.

“Brian, I’m not trying to upset you. Think about it, all you do is yell at her and say rude things. That’s not how you show people you care about them. I don’t expect you to buy her things or write her poetry, but a little respect goes a long way. How would you want her to treat you?”

“That’s the thing mom, she treats me like crap. I came to the realization that I loved her a few days ago. I was trying to be honest with her. No matter what I do, nothing is good enough.” Brian sunk down in his chair. He was feeling rather shitty about the whole incident.

“Well sitting here moping isn’t going to change things. I think you need to treat Josie with respect and kindness. Also I would go get her and bring her home.”

--------------------

Brian took his mom’s advice. He was standing outside Nick’s hotel room. He knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” Nick answered.

“Brian.”

“What do you want?”

“Let me in Nick. I need to talk to Josie.” Brian was getting annoyed with Nick’s questioning.

“She doesn’t want to talk to you.”

I muted the television, so I could hear Brian. I couldn’t believe he had shown up at the hotel looking for me.

“I don’t care. I need to talk to her.” His voice rose.

“She doesn’t” I covered Nick’s mouth.

“Brian what do you want to talk about? I don’t think we have anything to discuss.”

“Josie, I’m sorry for upsetting you tonight. I’m not sorry that I said it. I meant everything I said.” Brian paused. People in the hallway were giving him dirty looks. “Let me in before someone calls security.”

Nick looked at me as I started to walk towards the door. I quickly opened it and let him in.

“Nick could you leave us alone for a little bit?” Brian asked.

“You’re kicking me out of my room?” He nodded his head at Nick. “It’s a good thing I like you both. Call my cell when you’re down talking. No hanky panky in my bed.”

Nick quickly left Brian and me standing in the room.

“So let’s talk.” I sat down on the bed criss cross applesauce. Brian leaned against the wall.

“Josie, I’m sorry if I’ve been a jackass that last month. So much has changed for me. Seeing you brought back a lot of memories for me. Things I’ve tried to forget. You don’t deserve to be treated that way. I know I can’t take it back, but I’m sorry.” His apology was heartfelt. His eyes told me he was telling the truth.

“That means a lot to me. There are so many things I’m sorry about. You have every right to hate me. What I did to you is inexcusable.”

“What are we going to do?” Brian walked over and sat down next to me.

“I don’t know.” I looked into his eyes. They were full of love and lust.

His thumb brushed the lone tear from my check. Slowly he licked his lips. I knew he was going to kiss me. His face moved closer to mine, and he brought his hands to my face bringing me to his. Our lips pressed together, we kissed like lovers reunited. My hands were in his hair, and the distance between us closed. My mind seemed to forget anything negative about Brian. It only cared about his caresses and kisses. As he deepened the kiss…he slowly gently pushed me down on the bed. Then he was over top of me kissing my neck. It sent shivers up my spine.

“Let me make love to you Josie.” He murmured as his hands moved to my breast. He didn’t realize that I hadn’t been with anyone since the last time we were together.