- Text Size +

Brian and I were lying on a blanket starring at the stars. We had just finished making love for the third time that night. I was giddy and scared at the same time. Knowing that Brian loved me made me feel like a geeky teenager with a first crush. At the same moment I worried that in the morning Brian would realize that he didn’t love me. I tended to be oversensitive when it came to matters of my heart.

“A penny for your thoughts.”  Brian turned on his side to look at me.

“I don’t want to ruin the moment.” I barely whispered.

“Josie look at me.” I turned on my side and looked at him. “Don’t be afraid to hurt my feelings. If we are going to make this work you have to be completely honest. No running away.”

“I’m scared. I’ve been in love with you for a long time. With everything that has happened between us, I’m afraid it isn’t real. How can you love me after all that I’ve done to you?”

Brian sat up. By the look on his face I couldn’t tell if he was upset with me. Quietly he handed me my clothes. Then he started putting his on. His actions told me that he was upset. Every time I talked he got mad.  I should just keep my mouth shut.

“Brian are you mad at me?” I stammered after I put my clothes on.

“Why would I be mad at you?”

“Well, you just abruptly gave me my clothes and got really quiet.”

“Excuse me sir and miss. Is everything okay?” The police officer asked us.

 That is why Brian got quiet. He must have seen the lights on the police cruiser. I felt so embarrassed.

“We’re fine officer. My girlfriend here thought this was a shortcut to my house. She’s not good with directions.” Brian said with a smile.

“Brian Littrell, I’m not that stupid. Who do you think show Kevin this place?” The officer started to chuckle.

“Oh my goodness. Is that you Gregory Jackson?” He nodded.  “How are you?”

“Doing well. I can see you two are doing just fine. I’m just going to head out. You two have a good night.” He walked away.

“Holy hell. I can’t believe we just got busted. You know it’s going to be all over town by tomorrow.”

“Good then I won’t have to tell everyone that I love Josie Fitzgerald.” He brushed his lips against mine.

“Let’s go home. I’m tired from you wearing me out.” I took Brian’s hand and we walked to the car.

-------------------------------------

“Momma, wakey up.” Shane started shaking my arm.

“It’s early. Go back to bed.” I kept my eyes closed. My body was sore, and I didn’t want to get out of bed.

“Mommeeeee, the cwock says one, two, dot, dot, four, fwive. I hungwe.”

I sat up straight in my bed. I couldn’t believe I slept that late. Normally I never slept in past eight o’clock.

I picked up Shane and placed him next to me on the bed.

“Sweetie, why didn’t you ask someone to make you breakfast?”

“I ate bweakfast hours ago. Miss Jackie made me waffles. Bwian told me to come and awake you.” He smiled.

“He did, did he?” I started tickling Shane’s side. He started struggling away from me.

“Bwian says you can’t sweep all day.”

“That Brian is right. Let’s go get some lunch.” I took him in my arms and carried him to the kitchen.

Brian was standing by the stove stirring mac-in-cheese. He licked his lips when he saw me. I gave him a look.

“Bwi, is it weady yet?”

“It sure it buddy. Go sit down at the table. I’ll bring it in. Mommy’s going to help me with the drinks.”

Shane scampered out the room. Brian came over to me and pulled me close to him. His lips met mine for a long kiss, but I quickly broke away. He just looked at me.

“Shane could walk in on us. I don’t think it would be good for him to see us kissing. He might get confused.”

“I guess your right. I just wanted to show how much I love you.” He grinned at me.

“You have the rest of your life to show me. Let’s go feed our little monster.” I grabbed the milk and ketchup from the fridge. “Make sure to give Shane ketchup for his macaroni.”

“Eww that is gross.”

“It is not. Try it you might like it.” I poured milk into three cups. “Just think your tried me and liked it.”

“Girl don’t say things like that.  I might have to have my way with you in the kitchen.” He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

“You dirty man.” As I walked out I stuck my tongue out at him.