- Text Size +

Brian sat on the swing underneath the tree in the yard. He was still pissed about seeing the kiss. He couldn’t believe his best friend would betray him like that. It was hard enough know they had slept together.

Nick sat down on the swing. Brian was ready to throttle him.

“Is everything okay B? You seemed to have distanced yourself from everyone since the cake.” Nick asked in concern.

“Nick, go find Josie and leave me alone.” Brian said harshly.

“What’s your problem?”

“Nothing.” Brian stood up.

“You’re such a liar. You’re thoroughly pissed and I want to know why.”

“Fine. You want to know why I’m pissed?”  He raised his voice. “My so called best friend kissed the only woman I’ve ever loved. You of all people had to do it in front of me.”

“Josie was upset. Your mother told her that everything is her fault because she’s nervous about telling Shane tomorrow. We were just talking and I was comforting her.”

“Comforting someone is one thing, sticking your tongue down a person’s throat is another.” Brian glared at his friend.

“I don’t know what to say. Josie’s going through a rough time. I’m trying to be a good friend.” Nick defended. He didn’t see why Brian was so upset with the kiss.

“And you kissing her isn’t going to make it any easier on her. I don’t know what you’re trying to pull, but I wish you would get the hell out of Kentucky.”

Nick stood up and prepared to walk away. Brian wasn’t being rational and Nick wasn’t going to take the blame. He knew Brian was jealous.

As Nick started to leave, Brian put his foot out tripping him. He fell forward landing flat on his face. Slowly he stood up and brushed the grass off his clothes.

“What the fuck was that for?” He stared angrily at his friend.

“For messing with Josie’s heart.” Brian’s voice rose.

I quickly made my way down the yard. I couldn’t believe that two grown men were acting so juvenile. Did they really need to fight about me? Personally I just wanted to be left alone. Couldn’t I just curl up in a ball and hide? It would make my life easier.

“Would you both shut the hell up? I just got Shane to bed and you’re out here caterwauling. You wake him up and you’re both dead.” I hissed at the men before me.

“He started it.”

“Nick, shut up. Are you five?” I sat myself down on the swing.

“No. I can’t help it that Shorty over there is jealous of our kiss.” Nick responded in a cocky tone.

Brian was furious. I could see his nostrils flaring, a sure indication he was ready to kill Nick. Instead of saying anything, he marched toward the house.

“Bri wait don’t leave. Let’s talk about this.” I shouted, but he kept walking. I turned towards Nick. “As for you, stop acting like an arrogant prick. I’m starting to think that you kissed me just to make Brian angry.”

Nick pulled me up on my feet and into his arms. His lips crushed mine. My goodness gracious could that man kiss. I forgot the reason I was even talking to Nick. When his tongue entered my mouth, my mind brought me back to the current situation. I stepped back from his embrace.

“I think you need to leave.”

“I’m gone, but remember I’ll be around when he breaks your heart.”

“Damn you Nick. Just go.”

Nick sauntered out of the yard. I fell onto the swing sobbing.

-----------------------

Brian flung himself onto the couch. At this moment he couldn’t stand his best friend. What kind of best friend would make a move on the woman you were in love with? Oh that’s right, Nick Carter.

Harold walked in the living room to see the painful look on his son’s face.

“Brian is everything alright?” He sat down on the chair next to the couch.

“Everything is just peachy.”

“I can tell. You’re best friend just left and the woman you love is crying her eyes out. That sounds peachy to me.”

“Dad, everything is falling apart. I’m trying to make it all work and it’s a disaster.” Brian heaved a heavy sigh.

“I think you need to focus on one situation at a time. I think being Shane’s dad should be your first priority. Get to know him and be his dad.”  Harold told his son. He knew the Brian was biting off more than he could chew.

“What about Josie. I love her so much.”

“Josie loves you. She always has and always will. You need to give her time to realize that you can be a couple. She finds it hard to trust you after what happened. I don’t know everything and I don’t want to.”  Harold stopped to collect his thoughts. “Josie needs to learn to trust you. Give her time and show her that you are the man she has loved her whole life.”

“That’s easier said than done. I just want to scoop her up and make love to her all night long.”

“There will be plenty of time for that. Right now that is just going to complicate everything. You need to start out as friends. The rest will come with time. She’s the one. Don’t let her slip away.”

Harold slipped out the room. Brian had a lot to think about when it came to Josie. His dad gave him some food for thought. He knew he had to do things right this time or Josie would slip out of his hands. It would kill him to see her with Nick.