- Text Size +

“Shane Thomas, make sure you behave for Uncle Harry.” I reminded my son.

“Don’t you mean Uncle Harry should behave for Shane?” Brian teased as his brother rolled his eyes.

“I’m not a bad influence. I just know how to have fun.” He smiled angelically at us. “Your son will be fine with me.”

“I make sure he behaves. If Unky Harry doesn’t, I will put him in da corner.” We all laughed.

“Good job, son.” Brian picked him up and gave him kiss.

“You two better get going. Enjoy your date.” Harry took his nephew and pushed us out the door.

“So where are you taking me?” I asked, as we walked to the car.

“It’s a surprise.” Brian’s eyes twinkled. It was an indication that he was up to something. “Just get in the car.” Being the gentleman he was, Brian opened the door and I got in. A few minutes later we were on the road.

We drove in a quiet silence. Brian was concentrating on the road. I was lost in thought about what the night held for us. Things were going well for us these last few weeks. Brian’s surprise had me nervous for some reason. I was never one for surprises, but tonight I was anticipating it.

The car slowed down and turned onto an old dirt road. Trees lined the sides of the road. Brian pulled into a driveway where a beautiful cabin appeared.

“Brian what is this?” I gasped. I figured we were just going to dinner.

“Surprise.” He smiled at me.

“It’s gorgeous Brian. Why are we here?” I blinked trying to focus. My nerves were getting the best of me.

“Josie, I love you. I want to spend my life with you. I can’t see my life without you in it everyday. I love living at my parents, but we need a place of our own. What do you say; will you move in with me?”

“Brian, you want to stay in Kentucky with me and Shane?” I asked dumbfounded. This is what I wanted. My dream was for us to become a family.

“Yes. I want to spend the rest of my life with you and Shane. I want to make more babies with you. I saw this house and knew it was perfect for our family.” He grazed my cheek tenderly with his fingers. Life was perfect. I knew everything was going to work out.

“Brian, I love you. You’ve made me the happiest woman. Of course, I want to be a family with you. Let’s go look at the house.” I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the cabin.

--------------------------

I woke up with a chill. I noticed that Brian had all the covers while I was lying there naked. I positioned myself on my side and watched Brian sleep. He had a smile on his face. I knew mine had the identical one. Slowly I pulled some blanket off of him. He stirred.

“Don’t be taking all the blankets, Josie.” He mumbled in his sleep.

“I thought you were asleep. Bri, you have them all. I’m just taking some back. It’s cold in here since the fire died.”

“I know a way to warm you up.” He moaned into my ear.

“What do you have in mind Mr. Littrell?” I questioned in a sexy voice.

“Well, I want to love every inch of your body.” He kissed me on the tip of my nose.

“Nah, I’ll pass on that. Why don’t you just start another fire?”  I said seriously. Brian started to pout which made me start to giggle.

“Josie, you are so mean to me.” He complained.

“You know you love me.” I stuck my tongue out at him. He rolled on top me.

“Don’t stick it out if you don’t intend on using it.”

“You’re a dirty man, Littrell. You’re mom would be shocked at the things you say to me.”  

“Please don’t mention my mom when I’m getting ready to make love to you.” He groaned.

“I’m sorry, but she already knows that we bom-chicka-wah-wah.” I joked.

“Well before we bom-chicka-wah-wah, I have something for you.” Brian sat up and grabbed his shorts. I saw him fiddle in one of the pockets.”Josie you’ve been my best friend since always. I don’t remember a day you weren’t in my life.”

“Brian, you’re my best friend, too.” He placed a finger on my mouth to make me be quiet.

“The past three years I was miserable. It was because you weren’t in my life. I wanted to hate you when I saw you again, but I couldn’t. All the feelings I had for you came back even stronger. I realized that I always loved you. Making love to you that night wasn’t a mistake. It was the best thing to ever happen in my life.” He took a deep breath. “I realized that I was always in love with you. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life with anyone but you.”

“Bri, I feel the same way. It’s always been you and no one else.”

“Josie, I know you don’t believe in marriage. I promise that I will love you forever, whether you want to get married or not.” Brian opened the box in his hand and took out a beautiful but tasteful diamond ring. “This ring symbolizes my eternal love for you. We don’t have to get married, but if you ever want to I will be standing at the altar waiting for you. Our love is eternal and that’s all that matters.”

“Brian, I love you more than I can ever express.” Tears were flowing down my face. “I love how you understand me and accept me for who I am. I see myself with you forever. At this point I’m still afraid of the word marriage, but I see myself with you for eternity. Now put the ring on my finger.”

He slowly slid the ring on my finger. It was beautiful. I pulled him close to me and kissed him like no tomorrow. We forgot about everything and spent the rest of the night making love.