- Text Size +

As soon as I saw Brian, my mind started to freak out. I couldn’t be in the same room with him. I brushed past him and ran upstairs.

Quickly, I started putting all of mine and Shane’s belongings into a bag. There was no way possible I could stay in the same house with Brian. It just wouldn’t work. My life was starting to fall into place and now everything was crumbling around me. One man had enough power to change the course of my little world again.

When I got downstairs, I went into the kitchen to get Shane.

Jackie looked at me holding my bags.

“Jackie thank you for your hospitality. Shane and I have overstayed our welcome. I appreciate everything you have done for us. Someday I will repay you.” I picked Shane up and head toward the front door.

“Brian Thomas, you need to stop her. She has no place to go. Think about Shane.” Jackie yelled at her son.

Brian hurried out of the house. What was he going to say to her? He knew she wouldn’t stay. It was all because of him. Once again he was messing up Josie’s life.

“Wait up. Don’t leave.” He ran to the edge of the yard where I was sitting.

I didn’t make it very far. Where was I going to go? I held Shane in my lap. He was hugging his favorite bear. It was one that Brian had given me on my twenty first birthday. Shane had clung to that bear since he was a baby. Even he realized how special Brian was without even knowing him.

“Does it look like I’m going anywhere?” I yelled angrily at Brian. I didn’t want to face him. Three years was to long of a time to do this.

“Josie Fitzgerald, you’re impossible. You always have to be dramatic. Get the hell back in the house before my mom blames me for you leaving.”

“Watch your language Littrell. My son doesn’t need to hear you cussing.”

“Fine, I will take him inside, but you are not leaving.” Brian took Shane and carried him to the house.

This gave me a few minutes to think about what the hell I was going to say to him. I wanted to give him a piece of my mind. He deserved to have his ass kicked.

Brian ran back down to where I was sitting. He plopped down next to me. Neither one of us was willing to make the first move. I sat with my chin on my knees, attempting to pretend that he wasn’t sitting close to me. I could smell his cologne and it made me think of that night so long ago.

“Would you just leave? You don’t have to sit by me. Go visit your mother.”

“I can’t do that.” He said matter of factly.

“I hate you.”

“No you don’t Josie Posy.” He scooted closer to me.

“Don’t. You have no right to call me that. In fact you have no right to even talk to me.”

“Josie, I’m sorry about what happened. I never meant to hurt you. Can’t we just move on?” Brian pleaded.

“How can you say that? You hurt me and I can’t move on. You ruined my life Brian. After that night my life changed. You had a great career, a perfect girlfriend, and a million people that loved you. I had nothing. I lost everything I cared about. You still have the perfect life. I’m struggling to provide for my son. There are days I feel like I can’t do that. You’ve never had to feel that way. So, don’t tell me to move on.” I punched him in the arm.

“Oww! You didn’t have to hit me. Why are you such a bitch? Women, I can’t take it anymore. You act like my life is perfect. It’s far from that. I’m trying to pickup the pieces of my life. You are not the only one with problems. Don’t go blaming me.” Brian stood up.

I stood up. I wasn’t letting him leave. “There you go again, Littrell. You always have to leave instead of facing up to the situation. Aren’t you ever going to grow up?”

“When did you become so bitter?” He glared at me.

Did he really not know the answer to his question? Was he so blind to not realize after all these years?

“When I fell in love with you.” I barely murmured. I ran to the house and went inside. Brian stood there dumbfounded.

-----------------------------------

(Flashback)

“It doesn’t have to be this way.” He gently grabbed my arm.

“Brian what choice do you leave me? You can’t have it all.” I removed my arm from his. I did not want him touching me.

“It was never supposed to happen.”

“I fucking get that. How many times have you told me? I get it. You don’t want me. I mean nothing to you. You have a girlfriend. No one wants me. Stop throwing it in my face.” I screamed in his face.

Nick walked into the room. “Is everything okay?” He looked at me.

 I looked like shit. My dark curly hair was everywhere. Mascara ran down my already splotchy face. I was wrapped up in a sheet. I could just imagine what Nick was thinking.

“Everything is sunshine and rainbows. Excuse me, I need to get dressed. I quickly grabbed my dress and made my way to the bathroom.

“What did you do?” Nick sat on the bed and then quickly got up.

“Why are you assuming it’s my fault?”

“Well, when I walk in and see a girl wearing nothing but a sheet screaming at you and clothes scattered throughout the room, I figure something happened. Did you sleep with her?”

“I thought you were so smart. Yes, I slept with her. It was a mistake.”

“Brian, what were you thinking? Josie is so in love with you and you act like you didn’t know. You are getting married in three weeks to the love of your life. What the hell?”

“I don’t know man. I got to get out of here.” Brian grabbed his room key and walked out leaving Nick standing there in amazement.