- Text Size +

A half hour all to myself; it was the only peace I seemed to find at work. Thank goodness there was a McDonald’s in the Wal-Mart where I worked. I was craving french fries. I grabbed my tray and quickly found a small table to sit at. I was going to eat my lunch and read a book. It was nice to have a few minutes to myself.

“Can I sit with you?” Brian stood by the table.

“There are a bunch of empty tables.” I responded. I didn’t feel like being nice to him.

“I know…but…I kind of wanted to talk to you.”

“Sit down.” I looked at him. He was looking rather pathetic. He hadn’t shaved in a several days.

“I just wanted to apologize for being so rude. I came to Kentucky to lick my wounds. My girlfriend dumped me for one of my friends.”

“Is wasn’t Nick was it?”

“No. He would never do that to me.”

“Well, that’s good.” I always liked Nick. He never got jealous when Brian spent time with me. In fact we would spend time together when Brian was with Tiara.

“Yeah. I was going to ask her to marry me.” He said dully.  I could tell he was hurting and I felt bad.

“That sucks Brian. Why are you telling me this? It’s not like we’re friends.” I placed a french fry in my mouth.

“I just wanted to apologize for being an ass.” He looked at me. “I didn’t expect to see you at my parent’s house.”

“I’m sorry that I’ve cramped your style. I didn’t plan on living there. I had no place to go.” He didn’t realize what my life was like these past three years.

“Josie, what happened?” He asked with concern. It was like he was the old Brian again. I couldn’t look at his blue eyes.

I didn’t know if I could talk to him about my life. It wasn’t easy to tell him because it all led back to that night.

“Brian, I really don’t want to talk about it. There’s not enough time. I have to get back to work.” I scooted off my chair, grabbed my tray and left.

Brian sat at the table. Was Josie ever going to talk to him? He was trying to get past that night. Sure, he had many mistakes when it came to Josie, but he was trying to move on with her. He thought she needed to get over the past and move on to the future.

----------------------

“Thank you for helping me with the dishes.” Jackie placed the dried dishes in the cupboard.

“I don’t mind. It gives me time to think.”

“Josie, can we talk woman to woman?”

“Umm…sure…I guess.” I rinsed out the sink.

“Let’s go sit in the living room. Harold took Shane outside to play. Brian is still out.”

I followed Jackie into the living room. I found myself sitting in the cushy chair by the window. It had always been my favorite place to sit and daydream.

“What do you want to talk about?”

“You and Brian.”

“What about us?” I asked unsurely.

“What happened?” Jackie was attempting to fix a friendship that didn’t want to be fixed.

“That’s between me and Brian. It’s kind of personal.” I couldn’t let Jackie know how her son treated me. I didn’t want her to be disappointed in Brian.

“Brian said the same thing. I just wish you two were still friends. You were good for each other. I don’t ever remember him being as happy as when he was with you.” Jackie smiled thinking about the two of them.

“I doubt that. He was always happy when he was with Tiara. What happened with Tiara?” I was curious. They had gotten married, but it only lasted three months. They were so in love, I thought they would still be together.

“It just wasn’t meant to be. Tiara realized that she didn’t want to be married to someone who was never home. She wanted to settle down.”

“I find that hard to believe. She loved touring with Brian.” It made me wonder if she had found out about that night. She had never liked me. I think she was threatened by Brian’s relationship with me. 

“Things change when you get married. I’m sure you thought you would marry Shane’s father.” Jackie sat on the edge of the couch.

“Honestly, the thought never occurred to me. Unfortunately it was a one time thing. He doesn’t even know he has a son.”  I regretted it everyday. Shane deserved to know his daddy.

“Josie, I’m sorry. That had to be hard on you. Now you’re struggling to make it all work. I give you all the credit in the world. Shane is a wonderful little boy.”

“Thank you, Jackie. He’s the best thing that ever happened to me. Sure we have to struggle, but I wouldn’t want it any other way. He’s my life.” I beamed.

“Do you ever think about contacting his father?” Jackie probed. She was taking in all the information. I knew she was formulating a plan of some sort.

“Everyday. It sucks that Shane doesn’t have a daddy. All little boys need a dad in their life.  I just can’t do it to the guy. His life isn’t conducive to being a dad. Plus, I don’t think he would want anything to do with me. He made that perfectly clear.” I knew I had said too much. Anyone smart enough could put the pieces together.

“Then it’s his loss. Shane is a great child. Maybe you should contact this guy. You never know, he might have changed.” Jackie suggested.

“Maybe.”

“Mama, I cwaught the bwall.” Shane ran in the room and jumped on my lap. Harold followed behind.

“That’s awesome buddy. I think it’s time for a bath.” I tickled his side.

“O...K…mama.” I stood up.

“Jackie, it was nice talking to you. We’ll have to do it again. Now I got to get this dirty boy a bath.”

After I left Harold sat down next to his wife. They sat there a few minutes before Jackie spoke.

“I finally got to talk with Josie.”

“Did you find the information you wanted?” Harold teased his wife.

“Stop it.” She gave him a playful push. “I wasn’t hounding her. I just want to know what happened between her and Brian.”

“You need to let them work it out. They’re adults. Let them figure it out.” He pushed his glasses up on his nose.

“I know, but they both are so unhappy. I think they need each other more than they think. Josie told me that she had a fling with Shane’s dad and he doesn’t know about him. Do you think it’s one of Brian’s friends? Maybe Nick or AJ perhaps.”

“I really don’t think it’s our business. Shane looks nothing like Nick or AJ. Shane looks more like Brian. Think about Brian at that age.”

“Do you think Brian is Shane’s dad?” Jackie asked her husband curiously.

“Honestly?” She nodded her head.

“I want to know what you think.”

“I think Brian is Shane’s dad. It’s a gut feeling I've had since I saw him.”

“But why wouldn’t she tell him?” Jackie sat back against the couch.

“That I don’t know. We just have to let Josie figure it out. Maybe that’s why she came back home. You need to stay out of it.”

“Harold, how can I do that when you are putting ideas in my head?”

“All I can say is pray. You have to leave it in God’s hands.”

Jackie and Harold sat quietly on the couch. Both were consumed with thoughts about the current situations in their house.