- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Two

"You're so quiet. I figured you'd be excited to get back to the teens. Have you fallen in love with elderly poodle perms and missing dentures?"

I realized at that moment that I had been staring at my shoes for the last fifteen minutes. I looked up at Kim and cracked a smile.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I'm just distracted."

"Anything I can help with?" she asked. I shook my head.

Twenty minutes later we were once again walking towards Blanche. I played with my bangle bracelets nervously. It was sad that I felt more nervous now than I had on the first day.

"Welcome back," Blanche said jovilly. "Ally, you're going to spoil them, I swear."

"Ally?" Kim asked. Blanche looked at me in confusion.

"Oh, she didn't tell you? Her and her brother came for a visit this past weekend."

Kim glanced at me. I could tell she was confused. "How nice of you."

Fortunately, I wasn't in the hot seat for long. Blanche jumped ahead, discussing the kids that were waiting for us. I felt extremely relieved after getting the rundown.

We were working on tween girls today. Even before we stepped foot in the common room, I could hear the excited giggles.

"And, Kim, I've got to tell you. You give this girl a pair of scissors," she motioned to me. "and she makes a masterpiece. She cut Cole's hair and he looks fantastic."

If Kim was confused before, she also added shocked to the mixture. "Cole let you cut his hair?" she asked me.

I shrugged. "He was outside under the tree and it was hot so..."

"I can't wait to see this," Kim said.

Blanche smiled. "You don't have to wait long. I think he knew you two were coming. He's sitting in his favorite chair."

Blanche extended her arm. Kim looked and gasped. I kept my eyes averted.

"Oh, he looks so much better! Look at that strong jawline," Kim gushed.

"He can hear you," I said quietly.

"What?" Kim asked. I lifted my eyes. I couldn't help but look over at Cole. He had his eyes closed, his head tilted back. He looked peaceful.

"He can hear what you're saying," I said.

"Well, why shouldn't he?" Blanche said. She headed over to Cole, Kim at her heels. I stifled a groan.

"Hi Cole," Kim said.

"Hey."

"Your hair looks great."

"Thanks."

"Does it feel better?"

"No."

"It doesn't?" Blanche asked. I could tell his simple answer threw her off. "Why?"

"Because I'm still me," he said simply.

Kim and Blanche exchanged worried looks. I clung to Kim's large rolling tote.

"Hey, Ally," Cole said.

It seemed like the whole room got quiet. It wasn't really so, of course. The girls were still giggling and some little boy was playing a video game. Even so, it seemed like all eyes were on me.

"Hi," I replied.

"Now Cole, why don't you want to be yourself?" Blanche asked, referring back to his statement just moments ago.

"He does," I found myself answering. The corner's of his mouth twitched. Blanche seemed more confused than ever.

"Appearances don't change who you are on the inside," I explained.

It seemed to take a minute for Kim and Blanche to work their way around to the meaning. Blanche smiled, shaking her head. "Oh course, of course!" she exclaimed, squeezing Cole's shoulder. Kim still looked perplexed, and why wouldn't she? Appearance was her life. She just smiled and shook her head.

"Who's ready for a day of pampering?" she said loudly. The girls stopped their chatter and cheered. Kim nudged me.

"Let's get to work."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


It was fun to visit with the tweens. The girls were ten-times more squirmy then the teens, but they weren't near as catty. It was refreshing.

People came and went, stopping to peek in on progress, but Cole stayed in his chair the whole time. Around one (or maybe it was two), Blanche came in. I instantly recognized the smell radiating from the boxes she was holding.

"Pizza for the princesses!" she declared.

"It's going to ruin my lipstick!" the girl I was working on cried. I almost lost control of my lip pencil. I laughed.

"If it wears off, I'll reapply before I leave," I said. She looked at me hopefully.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

After the girls attacked the pizza, Blanche forced a slice on me. I found myself drifting to the familiar corner.

"Your fan base is growing," Cole mentioned as I scooted a chair closer to his.

"I'm pretty sure I lost a fan," I said. He shook his head.

"Are you talking about me?"

"Maybe."

"I apologize for the other day," Cole said slowly. "I let my emotions get carried away. You were right."

"I was?"

"Yeah." He lowered his voice. "It's not every day a girl willingly talks to me."

I stared at him in surprise. "Well," I said, trying to lighten the tone of the conversation. "I bet that's changed with the new 'do." I laughed.

"A little," he admitted. "But for all the wrong reasons."

"It's not horrible to be attracted to someone's looks," I stressed. "It's a common part of the process."

Cole shrugged. I knew he didn't agree. I had to wonder if it was my sight, not my hearing, that was disabled whether I would share his outlook.

"So, you said you wanted to get to know me right?" Cole asked. The pizza in my hand was growing cold.

"Yes," I said quickly.

"And you'll tell me more about you?"

"That's usually how it works," I agreed.

"Can you and your brother come back this weekend?"

I hesitated. "I can find out," I said. "Can I call you?"

"Sure." Cole smiled. "I'm not just asking for myself, by the way. Krista's been talking about your brother like he's Clark Kent or something."

I snorted. "My brother is far from a superhero. But she might be his kryptonite. He acts like a normal human being around her."

"It's ironic," Cole mused.

"How so?"

He leaned forward then and I realized just how close I had pulled my chair up. I leaned back, suddenly nervous.

"Most people act anything but normal around those with disabilities. Maybe your brother's just more comfortable with people that don't think they're so perfect all the time. After all, the cockiest people in the world are usually the ones with the most insecurities."

His statement, spoken so nonchalantly, hit me hard.

"You know..." I said, still processing the suggestion.

"You just may be right."