- Text Size +

CHAPTER 4

Amy settled back in her chair, realizing just how much these four men cared for her friend. She had never gotten very close to any of them, but she was seeing them now, in a new light, for the first time. AJ, happy-go-lucky rebel, but deep down, a caring friend, wanting to make everyone happy. Howie, faithful and sweet, wanting to make the pain go away. Brian, sensitive and charming, willing to admit he's wrong and try to make up for it. Nick, wonderful, dedicated Nick. It was easy for Amy to see why Dottie loved him. The look on his face was enough to convince Amy he loved D just as much. She couldn't believe the rest of the group didn't see it.

Brian began by saying, "Amy, what happened to her? She seems so different."

Amy looked at Brian, taking in his handsome features. In the back of her mind she was thinking, 'His wife was crazy for leaving him.' But she knew now was not the time to indulge in her fantasies. She had to help get Dottie back to being the person she used to be. The person she had buried deep inside.

"Brian, I don't know where to begin. Basically, D taught herself in prison not to care for anyone. Everyone turned their back on her. And on me. I never believed she was guilty, but all of our friends fell into the trap of the evidence. Guys, I don't blame you for believing the evidence. But I know her. I've known her for so long, we could be sisters." Moving her gaze to Nick, she continued. "Nick, I know you were close to her and you believed in her. But your hands were tied. Your management company made your statements for you. I know that now, watching you with her today. But she doesn't. She spent the time she was in prison, building up her defenses. Putting up walls around her heart that no one could penetrate. I almost didn't. But I didn't give up on her. She's opened up to me in the past couple of weeks, but I never knew she planned on leaving. This is the first time I had heard about it."

By now, Amy had tears in her eyes and a little catch in her voice. Brian reached out, taking her hand. The electric current that ran between them was a shock to them both. Their eyes met, and if they had been alone, there was no doubt in Amy's mind Brian would have kissed her. But now was not the time. Besides, she didn't even really know him. How could she be feeling this way?

Brian held her hand as he spoke. "Amy, we know we can never make up to her the time she was in prison. But she has to know how much we care about her."

 

"Brian she does. And it's got her scared. She feels that if she doesn't let anyone close, she won't get hurt. She has to heal in her own time, but if she runs off alone, she won't ever heal. I have to stop her."

AJ set his glass down, sliding back his chair. "No, Amy, WE have to stop her. We have to let her know we won't hurt her again and that we care about her."

All of them agreed with AJ and began to rise from the table. Amy sat for a second, amazed by them. She knew they cared, but they were willing to help her break Dottie out of her shell. Things just might work. If they catch her in time.

At Amy's place:

Dottie was throwing clothes into her suitcase. She knew they would follow her. She had to get out before they got there. All of the sudden she stopped. 'Where will I go?' she thought. 'I have no money, no friends.' She stopped on that thought, her eyes misting up. 'I have Amy. How can I keep taking from her when there is nothing left of me to give?' The sobs racked her body as she dropped to the floor, desolation and loneliness overtaking her. She wanted to get back to who she was. Get a job, live her life to the fullest. Be the kind of person she could be proud of. She wanted to be the kind of friend Amy deserved to have. She knew in her heart what she wanted most was Nick. Nick to come and hold her, tell her everything would be ok. She didn't think he could ever love her the way she loved him, but she wanted her friend back.

This was how Amy found her. Lying on the floor curled into a ball. She had convinced the guys to wait while she checked things out. Now she was glad she did. Sitting down beside Dottie, she could see she wasn't sleeping, just worn out from crying. Squeezing her shoulder, Amy just waited.

Dottie rolled her head over to look at Amy. Her eyes were puffy from crying and her head throbbed. "Amy, you've done so much. You cared when no one else did. You've taken care of me. I can't keep taking from you."

"D, don't you say that. I want you to be the wonderful person you are. You aren't taking a thing from me. Don't you get it? You have always been here for me. Through all my troubles, you were there. This is my chance to do for you what you did for me. I don't want you to ever feel like you take anything from me. Friends take care of each other and now it's my turn."

 

Tears spilled out of Dottie's eyes, as well as Amy's. They shared a lengthy silence before Amy stood up. "I know what you need, girlfriend."

Dottie didn't move as she watched her leave. She felt too drained. She closed her eyes, thinking Amy was heading for the kitchen to get ice cream. That was their comfort food.

The door opened again, but she didn't open her eyes. She was exhausted. Nick took one look at her and almost cried himself. Amy said she was in bad shape, but she just looked so small and fragile. Nick quietly crossed over to her, dropping down beside her.

She knew it was Nick, but she couldn't move. She knew Amy had sent him. Nick gently reached over, stroking her hair back off her face. Her eyes slowly opened, locking with his. Fresh tears flooded her eyes when she saw the tears in his. He whispered, "Let me be here for you Dottie. Don't make me leave."

She crawled to her knees, sliding onto his lap and into his arms. Nick wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight as she cried.

Amy, Brian, AJ, and Howie had followed him and watched as he gathered her into his arms. Amy quietly led them away, letting Nick take care of her. She knew in her heart if anyone could get through to her, it was Nick.

Chapter End Notes:

another installment!  :D