- Text Size +

CHAPTER 7

The next 4 months passed in a blur for the guys, but time just dragged along for Dottie. She was alone and for the first few weeks, she loved it. She watched movies, listened to music, and she cried. She cried the kind of cry to heal her soul. Now she was lonely. She called Amy everyday. And Nick called her every night. Every time she heard his voice, she fell deeper in love with him.

She watched MTV when the boys made it back to the US in early November. They all looked so tired and weary. Her eyes watched Nick as he walked off the plane, wishing he could just come home to her. Home. Nick's house felt like home to her. Like she had always belonged there.

After the commercials, she watched the interviews. They sounded whipped. Nick's voice sounded raspy, almost as if he had a sore throat. Without realizing it, she had moved to the floor in front of the TV, her hand reaching out to trace his face on the screen. Her feelings shook her to the core as she realized that without Nick, her life meant nothing. She had to tell him she loved him.

She picked up the phone and dialed Amy, her eyes never leaving the screen. When Amy picked up, Dottie fell apart. "Amy, you have to help me. I need to get to New York before the guys leave."

Amy knew she was upset. "Calm down, D, what's wrong? Are you hurt? Are you ok?"

Dottie took a deep breath to calm down. "I'm fine Amy, it's just Nick is in New York and I need to be there. I saw them on TV and he’s so tired and I need him to know…I need to tell him that I…"

When she trailed off, Amy understood. "Let me make a call, D. I'll call you right back. Get packed girl, you're going to the Big Apple!"

Amy hung up the phone, and then picked it right back up, dialing Brian's cell phone. She knew the interview was over, she had been watching too. When he answered, her heart skipped a beat. "Brian, this is Amy."

Brian was shocked she called. "Yeah, I recognized your number. How are you, A?"

"I'm good Brian, but I need a favor." She paced around her living room as she told Brian what was going on. "Brian, we have to get her to New York. She's falling apart now. She needs Nick."

Brian pinched his nose, trying to fight away the tiredness. "OK, Amy, I'll get some arrangements made. Call and tell her I'll have a car pick her up and get her to the airport. Do you need a car to pick you up or will you make it ok?"

Amy gasped, "Me? I'm not coming. She is."

Brian whispered, "Don't you think she'll need someone with her? I mean, we're all wiped out. We planned on staying in New York for three or four days, just to recover. Nick will sleep for 24 hours, if we get him to the hotel."

Amy realized in horror he must be dragging. "Oh Brian, I didn't even think about how tired you must be. I'm so sorry. Don't worry about it, I'll figure something out."

Before she could rush on, Brian stopped her. "It's ok, Amy. I'm glad you called. Nick's been a real pain behind the scenes. Moody. He needs this. And to be honest, I kind of wanted to see you myself."

Amy was glad Brian couldn't see her mouth drop open. "Me? You want to see me?"

 

Brian didn't mean to blurt it out like that. "Yeah, I do. So will you come with her?"

Amy thought for a minute then whispered, "Yes."

Brian heard her and sighed in relief. “OK, someone will call you in a few minutes with details and you can call D. I won't tell Nick, she can surprise him."

Amy giggled. "That sounds wonderful, Brian. Thank you."

"No, thank you Amy. We lost something precious to us a long time ago. You helped us get it back, plus we got you too. That’s a bonus! Get packed, someone will call you shortly. Have a safe trip and I'll see you soon." Brian hung up feeling refreshed. Calling Howie, he explained what was going on. Brian knew he had slept on the plane. He would do this. When Brian explained what was going on, Howie said he'd take care of it and Brian went to crash. He needed some sleep before seeing Amy again.

Amy sat waiting on Dottie's plane. She had been there for about 20 minutes when the announcement was made that the plane had landed. She stood at her seat, her suitcase by her feet. She saw Dottie coming toward her and she felt like crying. The shadows were gone. Her friend had finally come back.

Dottie saw her and they laughed, hugging each other as if they had been apart years, not months. Amy stepped back, looking at Dottie. "Girl, you look wonderful. Are you ok, D?"

Dottie felt herself blush as they started toward baggage claim. Outside the airport was a long black limo. The driver held a sign with their names on it. He opened the door for them, helping them inside before depositing their bags in the trunk.

As the car moved off, he closed the divider window. This was the break Amy needed. "OK, girl, spill it. Why did you have to come to New York? What's going on, D?"

Dottie was expecting the questions. She just wasn't expecting her reaction to them. Instead of the familiar need to withdraw into her shell to hide, she felt her heart expand with love. Amy could read her just like she used to. She really was herself again. As she fought off the tears, she whispered, "A, I have to tell Nick how I feel. I can't wait."

Amy grabbed her hand, squeezing tightly. "How do you feel, D?"

"I love him A. I love him so much I ache with it. I've always loved him." The tears spilled down her cheeks as she told her friend everything.

Chapter End Notes:

Here you go.  Please, enjoy!