- Text Size +

CHAPTER 8

 

Amy and Dottie made their way through the lobby of the hotel, almost skipping they were so excited. Carlos met them at the front desk. Carlos and Dottie had been good buddies before everything fell apart. She was hoping they could be again. She couldn't believe how happy she was to see him, and even more than that, she couldn't believe the hug he gave her.

"Girl, it's about time you got here. You have to do something about Nick. He's driving us crazy." Dottie could read through the rough comment. She knew he was happy to see her.

"Carlos, I love you too, and I'm glad to see you again." He blushed at her comment causing her to laugh.

"OK, ladies, let's get you to your rooms. All the guys have crashed. All but Howie and you know how he is. Making sure everything is working." The weariness in his voice didn't go unnoticed.

"Carlos, Howie isn't the only one. You look exhausted." Dottie touched his arm and whispered, "Thank you for taking care of us, now you go get some sleep. We're ok. We can get to our rooms fine. Although…” As she trailed off, Carlos gave her a curious look. "Can I go to Nick's room, Carlos? I won't wake him. I just want to be there when he…”

Carlos sighed. Then he smiled. "Yes, you can. I got the key already because I knew you'd want to go to him. Amy, I'll see you to your door, and Dottie I’ll leave you with Nick. He's going to be mad that we didn’t tell him you were coming.”

Amy laughed, "No, he won't. He won't think about it at all. He's just going to be ecstatic to see her." As Dottie blushed, Amy laughed harder.

Carlos smiled. “Come on girls, I need sleep. Your rooms are on the same floor as the guys. It’s easier.”

As they walked off the elevator on the 7th floor, Dottie felt the butterflies in her stomach. Carlos placed something in her hand. It was a key. “Here you go. He’s at the end of the hall. Room 742. If you decide to leave him alone for a while, you and Amy are in 740, right next door, ok?”

Dottie shook her head yes and started down the hall. As if in a daze, she turned back, hugging Amy then Carlos. “Thanks you two, for everything.”

Amy watched her make her way to Nick’s door. She whispered to Carlos as Dottie opened the door. “She’s ok. She’s finally back to her old self.”

Carlos agreed, walking Amy to her door. “Nick won’t hurt her, Amy. He cares too much.”

Amy kissed his cheek then stepped into her room. “I know Carlos. They love each other.”

In Nick’s room

Dottie stepped inside Nick’s darkened room, letting her eyes adjust before she moved away from the door. She stepped quietly inside, listening to his deep, steady breathing. She walked further into the room and her heart melted. He lay on top of the bed, still dressed. Tears gathered in her eyes because she knew how very tired he was.

She walked over to him, reaching down to slide off his shoes and socks. He never moved. She pulled the blanket from the other bed in the room and spread it over his sleeping form. He mumbled something she didn’t understand. She slid down to sit on the edge of the bed, her eyes on his face. She reached up gently pushing the hair back off his forehead before leaning down to place a gentle kiss on it. He sighed deeply, shifting slightly on the bed. Without being able to resist, she stood, quickly shedding her coat and kicking off her shoes. Very gently, she lifted the covers and slid onto the bed beside him. As if on instinct, he curled her into his body, wrapping his arms around her tightly. She sighed, placing her head on his shoulder and snuggling in closer. Now she felt she was where she belonged. If only he feels the same way.

Chapter End Notes:

Latest installment....thankfully my computer is back up and running!  :)