- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty-Two
Point of View: Krystal


Nick and I had gone to Home Depot and gotten a brilliant shade of banana-yellow paint and a roll of shaggy orange rug that he said reminded him of The Brady Bunch. We were now at the mall, where, at his insistence, I was to seek and find the "most mind-blowing sheets and comforter I'd ever seen" - his instructions.

I felt spoiled. And reluctant to let him do all this. I hadn't really deserved it and I felt awkward - I had nothing to give him back in return, except maybe sex but that seemed kind of cheap and slutty.

Nick held up a giant penguin-shaped pillow and shook it. "Pick me, pick me," he said in a high-pitched, Mickey-Mouse voice.

"You're a dork," I said pushing the penguin in the tummy. Nick laughed. I did, however, grab the penguin when he put it down in the bin he'd gotten it from, and tucked it under my arm.

Nick spun in place, "I've never seen so fucking many blankets in my life," he said, holding up his arms. He looked at one of those mock-up beds they have in department stores and he raised his eyebrow at me, "Ooh lala, let's christen it."

"You're joking," I said, laughing.

Nick grinned.

I don't know if he was joking or not, but I kept walking through the aisles and he kept up with me, so I assume he was. I found a quilt with big orange black-eyed susan flowers all over it, and chocolate brown sheets. We located a mirror with a brown frame and some prints for the walls. Nick found a poster of the Backstreet Boys and held it up, "Get this one," he begged.

"Why? I don't need a poster of you, you're right down the hall," I laughed.

Nick grinned, "So you don't forget me when I'm down the hall."

"To remind me of the sex cave," I said. A soccer mom looking woman glared at me when I said that, but I didn't care.

Nick laughed, "Whatever works to keep it coming," he winked.

"Oh I'll keep you coming alright," I smirked as Nick's face puckered into an ohhhhh expression and I breezed by him, hugging the penguin to my chest. Nick dropped the poster back into its crate and tailed me like a lost puppy, carrying the quilt and the sheets under his arms.

When we'd checked out of there, we were wandering through the mall when a sparkle from the jewelry store caught my eyes. I frolicked over and bent over the counter, looking at the gemstones. Nick stood beside me, carrying a bulk of the goods we'd bought on his strong arms. He leaned against the counter. "You're distracted by shiny things too, I see," he laughed.

"Shiny shit always gets me," I sang as I tucked my hair behind my ears and practically salivated at the sparklies.

Nick followed me around the counter as I peeked and oohed and ahhed at various pieces in the case. A distracted-looking sales clerk was talking on the phone a couple paces away.

He dropped the quilt bag onto the floor and reached around me and Hewbie - the penguin had officially been named - and pointed, "See, that's what my weakness is," he said, pointing at a watch with a heavy platinum band. He grinned, "There ain't nothin' like a nice watch."

"A watch?" I demanded, "Seriously?"

Nick nodded, "I love'em."

"You never even wear a watch," I laughed, pointing out his wrist.

"Maybe I would if I had a nice one," he shrugged.

"Well if you love them so much, why don't you have one?" I asked.

Nick laughed, "I dunno..." he paused, "I feel like watches are something someone is given," he said.

"Really?"

"Yeah, like for father's day or a wedding present or whatever." His cheeks were flush. "I just would feel funny buying myself a watch. They're like symbolic."

"Symbolic?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "I dunno, I'm very romanticized about the watches." We both laughed, but I glanced back over my shoulder at the jewelry counter as he led me away, wishing more than anything I could give Nick a gift like that.

It bothered me the rest of the time we were walking. I kept asking him random questions - Hasn't anyone ever given you a watch? Even after hearing how much it means to you? - the rest of the time we were shopping. He answered me happily.

When we'd finally reached the end of the mall and we'd visited everything we were going to visit, Nick wrapped his arm behind me, consolidating all the bags into one hand and pulled me close to him. He kissed the top of my head, "Now to go home and put all this crap together," he laughed.

"Hewbie will help," I said, hoisting the penguin up.

"Why thank you Hewbie," he said, and he gave Hewbie a kiss on the beak.

"Hey now I'm jealous you know," I said, pulling Hewbie away from his perfect mouth. Nick's smile lit up his eyes and he bent down and kissed me again.

When he disengaged from me, my eyes landed on the jewelry shop we'd visited before. I looked at Nick. "C'mon, let's head out to the car," he said huskily, "And after we get your room all set up maybe we can christen that bed," he whispered.

I pecked his cheek, "Go ahead, I'll be right there."

"What?" he looked confused.

"Go ahead out, I've gotta do something real quick."

"If you wanna keep shopping we can kee-"

"No, just - I gotta - I gotta pee," I lied. "I'll be right now, I promise."

"Oh." Nick nodded, "Okay, I'll be outside. It'll probably take me that long to get this crap in the back anyways," he rationalized. My eyes followed him until he'd disappeared around the shoes and towards the door.

I bolted for the jewelry counter.