- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Point of View: Brian


"Mmm... Brian..."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

"Oh God..."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

"Leighanne... aw man..."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

Beep.
"Hallo, you've reached the Littrell's! We're probably not home, but if we are we're busy right now. Leave a message and I'll call ya back!! Hahehhe!!"
Beeeeeep.

"Brian? It's me... Nick..."

"Ignore it..." Leighanne whispered in my ear.

"I am..." I whispered back.

"Oh Briiiiiiian," she moaned.

"BRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIAN," called out Nick at almost the same time.

Libido dead.

I groaned.

"No, Bri-bear, ignore him," she begged.

"The bear just got shot," I muttered. I pulled away and crawled out from under the covers. Leighanne didn't follow. I sighed and grabbed my boxers on as I trotted down the stairs to grab the downstairs extension. I was ready to kill him.

"B-R-I-A-N... B-R-I-A-N...B-R-I-A-N and Brian was his name-ohhh," Nick was singing into the answering machine as I got into my 'office'. I closed the door and headed for the phone. "There was a Backstreet Boy whose name was Brian... B-R-I-A.... B-R-I-A....B-R-I-A .... and Brian was his name-ohhh..."

"This better be really good," I snapped, picking up the receiver and interrupting his little song party.

Nick laughed. "Hey you're there, whassup? Bad timing?"

"Seriously? You don't call for a month and you gotta call the one time Leighanne and I are having sex?"

"Oh shut up, the odds of calling while you two are having sex are like the odds of you calling me while I'm eating. They're really good odds."

I grumbled and sat down. I'm not sure why Nick thought he was the authority of my sex life, but whatever. Leighanne had insisted that we not have sex except on days when she was fertile. Those days, we both holed up in the house and tried to make a baby until we were the color of two exhausted smurfs.

Nick had killed my sex drive on the one day for the month of January.

"Seriously, speak your purpose now, please," I said.

Nick sighed, "I gotta question for you."

"Okay."

"Can I ask it?"

"Nick just ask the damn question."

"Okay, see, it's like this... I got this girlfriend and..."

I closed my eyes, "Please tell me you didn't interrupt my sex so you could ask me about sex."

Nick snorted, "I didn't. Relax. It's... more... it's more serious. If I was asking about sex, I would've called AJ."

"Right."

"Now listen," Nick said, "I'm dating this girl..."

"Is this the one Kevin can't stomach?" I asked, interrupting him again.

Nick sighed, "Maybe?"

"Nick, he says she's psycho."

"So we stole a boat..."

"You stole a boat?" How had I not heard about this? I wondered.

"B- It was a long time ago now, okay? Can we focus on the now?"

I sighed. I had a feeling I didn't like this girl already either. "Yeah, shoot."

Nick started over again. "Okay, so I'm seeing this girl... Well, kind of she's living with me, but --"

"She's living with you?" I asked.

"FOCUS, Brian," he repeated. I bit my tongue. I wanted to point out all of the reasons why living with someone Kevin outright called psychotic could be a bad idea. Not the least of which was the steak knives I knew lay all shiny like in his kitchen utensil drawer. "Anyways, she's got a really shitty self esteem, and... I wanna make her feel better about herself," he said.

I sighed. "So... I dunno, compliment her. Send her flowers."

"Done, done," Nick said, like he was marking off a check list. "I need something else, something deep."

"Deep?" I asked. I rubbed my chin.

"Yeah," Nick said, "You're good with the thinking up deep shit thing. Help a brotha out."

Only Nick could articulate quite like Nick.

I sighed, "I dunno what to tell you other than to just stick with her..."

"Nothing more... now?" he asked, "More immediate?"

"Not that I can think of," I answered.

Nick sighed, "I just feel like crap."

"Why?"

"Because, she's all negative about herself... she hates herself and it breaks my heart. I just wanna give her heart some place to rest where it's safe," he said, "A shelter, a home..."

I rubbed the back of my neck. "Did you tell her that?" I asked.

"No," Nick admitted.

"Well... There ya go."

He sighed, "Thanks Bri..."

"I didn't do much."

"You did enough," he answered, "I gotta jet. Go get banged. Seeyaz." And he hung up the phone.

I sighed as I replaced the receiver into its cradle and wondered how long it would be before Nick called me again this time...