- Text Size +
Chapter Fourteen

"He needs fed every four hours. His favorite pacifier is the blue one with music notes. When you change him you've got to sing Itsy Bitsy Spider. And--"

"Nick, I'm a dad. I know this stuff. Don't worry."

That was easier said then done. Leighanne was rocking Cam, cooing down at him with that sappy look that babies seem to bring out of even the coldest people. Bri was looking at the arsenal of stuff I had brought over, grinning.

"This is just overnight, right? Not forever?"

"Just for tonight," I said. "Why? Did I bring too much stuff?"

Bri laughed. "Maybe a little."

I glanced back over at Cam. I could hear his coos, magnetized in my rapidly sensitizing ears. I hated leaving him, but I couldn't have him around. I didn't trust myself anymore. Now that I had tasted blood...

"So, does he do anything weird?"

"Weird?"

Leighanne laughed. "Yeah. Babies always have quirks."

I didn't know how to respond. Should I worn them that there might be a slim chance Camden might become covered with fur and try to bite them with little wolf teeth?

Nah.

"No quirks. He's perfect," I said lovingly. I walked over and nuzzled my face close to Cam's. I had shaved my hands right before we left, but I could already feel the hair. I gave him a swift kiss.

"Be good. I'll be back tomorrow morning," I whispered. His bright blue eyes stared back up at me. He smiled.

"Thanks again," I said. I straightened up.

Bri waved his hand. "No problem." His eyes softened. "Try to keep yourself busy, Nick. Don't...don't stay there too long."

I nodded. Bri knew I was going to visit Lauren's grave. That was all he knew.

"I promise," I said, backing up towards the door. "Have fun."

Bri lifted his hand in a wave. I didn't return the gesture.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"He's gorgeous, Laur. He looks a lot like you. He's got your hair. He smiled at me today," I said. I was laying next to her grave, my eyes tracing the curve of her name on the ornate stone. The grass hadn't yet grown over the fresh earth. I pressed my hand to the soil, feeling the dirt slid under my nails.

"I think I found a lead," I continued. I was talking to keep the tears at bay. "There's a legend from Germany about werewolves. I haven't told Bri or any of the guys, but as soon as tonight's over, I'm taking Cam with me. We're going to be MIA for a couple weeks."

The wind whistled by my ear. I had been at her grave for a couple hours and I couldn't seem to tear myself away. The sun was drifting below the trees. I knew I needed to go.

But knowing and doing are two different things.

"Nick!"

I jumped. I hadn't thought I would hear my name. For a second, I thought it was a ghost. But the voice was too familiar. The voice...

"Nick."

The voice was softer this time. Howie swung out from behind a tree. He was holding a bouquet of flowers. He didn't say anything else until he knelt down, crossed himself, and placed the bouquet at the head of Lauren's stone.

"I can't believe it's been a month."

My eyes burned. I didn't know what to say. I scrambled up. We were face to face.
B "I'm sorry," Howie whispered. "I feel so bad for keeping you late. I keep thinking what if--"

I saw the moisture build up in his warm brown eyes. I let out a shuddery breath. "I blamed you and I shouldn't have. You had no idea--"

"Neither did you."

I shook my head. "I did."

"Nick, no you didn't. How could you--"

I tried to explain. I really did. The sun just set too fast. I guess I didn't realize that the sun set earlier and earlier after the Summer Solstice. D was still waiting for my answer when I lunged forward.

"RUN!" I managed to scream before I felt momentarily strangled due to the shifting of my face.

Howie should have run. He shouldn't have sat there in terror as I changed. But he did. It was only after my sharp yellow eye fell on him that he crab-crawled backwards.

"Nick...Nick...no."

Nick didn't understand what he meant. Did he mean that it was impossible what he had just seen? Did he suddenly think I was the one that had killed Lauren?

All I knew was that he smelled incredible. I growled, my eyes studying his scuffling feet. I lowered to the ground and began to stalk his way.

"No...No!"

I wondered if he tasted a little spicy. I could sense the pounding hot blood underneath his skin. A thick line of drool fell from my jaw onto my paw. I shook it off. Howie scrambled to his feet. I had never seen him so pale. He turned and ran.

The chase was on. This was instinct. Prey was conditioned to run. The stalker was conditioned to chase. My feet pounded fast, kicking up bits of earth. Howie swung around gravestones, running zig-zag. I'm not even sure he knew where his car was anymore.

There was no chance that I was going to lose him. His scent was marked. Only once did he seem to disappear. I stopped my chase, my ears turning slightly to pick up sounds on the breeze.

I heard his breath. He was trying to be quiet, but silence is impossible when in fear. My pace slowed. I knew I was moving so lightly that even the worms underneath wouldn't feel my vibrations. D was right behind a large tree. I could make out the curve of his fingers around the old bark.

It was the hand that my teeth clamped around first. Delicious blood burst into my mouth rendering my body completely over to instinct and hunger. The blood tasted much better than that of Lauren's shooter.

Howie's screams reached a heart-bursting crescendo. They stung my ears. I let his hand go. Howie was stunned. He stared at the stump, the blood still drifting in rivets. His mouth opened again. He was going to hurt my ears. I knelt and lunged at his throat. My ears were saved.

I devoured until I felt sick. I stared down at the mangled body, practically unidentifible. Panic washed over me. I had to get away.

There was no reason to go back to the house. The damage was already done. I ran to the ocean. The moon reflected in the water. Something about water and the transformation calmed me. I dove into the water, letting the salty liquid wash Howie's blood off of me. When I was nearing exhaustion, I crept up onto the sand. It didn't take long to dry.

Only when I knew the night was almost over did I head back home. I hadn't left my doors unlocked. I waited in the backyard until my body realigned back into human form. It was the first time I had noticed that the fur seemed to literally just sink back into my skin. I rubbed my face and stared at the yellow/pink light teasing the horizon.

I had just killed one of my best friends. I had just left James fatherless. I had been mad at Howie, but he had tracked me down to clear the air. Things were supposed to have been okay. But he had come too late.

I headed back into the house, Howie's mangled body stuck in my mind. Sometimes it merged with Lauren's own destroyed form. Two people connected to me dead in just two months. It was too suspicious.

I ran into my room and yanked open my closet. I didn't care what I threw in my open suitcase.

The only way to make things right was to find a fix. I couldn't wait another second. I needed to get Cam. I needed to get out of the country. I wouldn't return until I had found a way to stop this. No one else could die.

If Bri was still asleep, I'd break in and take the baby. I didn't want to answer any questions.

I just wanted to disappear.