- Text Size +
Chapter Fifteen

"Oh he's adorable! How old is he?"

"He's a month old."

The stewardess smiled. "He must have his mommy's hair."

Tears burned behind my lids. "He does."

"Let me know if you two need anything, okay?"

"Thank you."

She walked farther down the row, chatting bubbily with the other first class passengers. My hands stroked the soft blanket Cam was nestled under.

I felt numb. The only thing linking me to the real world was Camden's bright eyes focused on me. His arms shifted beneath the blanket; one foot clad in a bright blue sock kicked its way out.

We had successfully managed one transfer and now our flight was headed directly to Germany. I had packed as much as I could for Cam; little for myself.

My thoughts kept returning to Howie. By now, Leigh had to have been frantic. I was sure she had called the police. I glanced at my watch. They might have even found his body by now.

I didn't know what was going to happen to me, but I did know that I couldn't return home even if I did manage to fix myself.

I couldn't face Brian and AJ. Not now. Not ever.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


After my passport was stamped and I had my luggage and Camden, I rented a car and a driver (I didn't have a GPS and there was no way I was going to get lost in a strange country). Our destination was roughly the same place that I had been attacked more than a year ago.

I couldn't understand German at all, but luckily the driver spoke broken English. It was late, the night gathered heavily around the little gray car zooming down the road.

"You sure you go here?" the driver asked.

"I'm sure," I said.

"Even with little?"

Camden was fussing; it was no easy task to feed a baby while in a moving car.

"Why? Is there something bad about here?"

The driver made a rumbling noise deep in his throat. "Wolfsmench."

I started. "Wolfsmench? What does that mean?"

The driver shook his head. "I don't...know...English..."

"Wolf?"

The driver sighed. "Wolfsmench...eh...Luzifer? Satan?"

"Satan?"

The trees were becoming significantly thicker outside the window. I felt a weird tug; a sort of longing.

"No matter," I said quietly. "This is where I need to be."

The driver, on my request, found the only lodging in the area: a rundown bed and breakfast. He stayed frozen behind the wheel as I gingerly put Cam back in his carseat and pulled out the luggage.

"Do you want to stretch your legs?" I asked.

The driver's eyes widened. "No."

I paid him for his time. He asked when I wished to return to the city; I did not answer. I clutched Camden tightly to my chest as the car screeched around and kicked up dust in the evening sky.

As soon as the car was completely gone, the door behind me opened. I turned, unsure of who or what I was going to meet.

The smallest, oldest lady I've ever seen peered out at me. She looked like a ladybug. Her gray hair was close to her head in tight curls; her back was stooped over and she clung to a red and black cane tightly.

"Do you...speak English?" I asked uncertainly.

Her eyes narrowed. She turned and spat rapid-fire German into the house. A second later another face appeared at the door.

Even in shadow, I could tell this face was much, much younger. The first thing that roped me in was the beautiful brown eyes. Her face was heart-shaped; her nose slightly turned up at the end. The older lady nudged her and pointed out at me.

"Can I help?"

I was relieved to hear English, as hesitant as it was.

"My son and I," I said, lifting the carseat slightly. "Need a place to stay."

The young woman's eyes rested on the carseat. She whispered something to the old lady. The old lady smacked her cane up and down three times on the packed floor and backed up.

"Come," the young one said.

I gathered the bags and clumsily made my way in, ducking in the low doorway.

The inside was just as plain as the outside. The only difference was the bright light from the fireplace and the shaded lamp in the corner. The old woman yanked open a large closet door and began to pull out sheets.

Now that the young woman was no longer in shadow, I was able to get a better look at her. The moment her eyes locked on mine, I knew I was doomed.

She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my whole life. Just staring at her erased everything else from my mind. She almost seemed to glow. When she flipped her light brown hair, I almost sank to my knees.

"You are hungry?" she inquired.

"I'm Nick," I said. She laughed.

"Neee-k? You are hungry?" she repeated.

The sound of my name on her lips made me gasp. I struggled to make sense of her question.

"I'm a little...a little hungry."

"The baby?"

Cam was fast asleep. I touched his pudgy chin with my thumb.

"He's fine."

She came over and I was overwhelmed with her closeness. She leaned down, touching the blanket.

"Wunderhübsch," she said gently.

"Excuse me?"

She smiled. "Beautiful."

Before I could say anything, the old woman started screeching. The girl turned and ran to her aid. I sank down in a chair.

I was exhausted. I hadn't slept in two days. I ran a hand through my hair, feeling dirty and grimy.

As I had thought, I had to break one of Bri's windows and take Camden out. I didn't chance waking them. Luckily, Camden hadn't stirred. I had run home, thrown things together...

And now I was here.

"You see your room? Then eat?"

The beautiful woman stood in the doorway. I quickly tried to find one flaw in her features; I saw none.

"What's your name?" I asked. I didn't move.

"Elsabeth," she replied. "You call me El."

I smiled. "Absolutely."

Her eyes drifted to the floor. "Your room?"

Once again I picked up the carseat and the bags. I followed El through what seemed like a labyrinth. From the outside, the house did not seem that big. Inside, it was a fortress.

"Here," she said. She opened the door.

The room was small and simple. It had an adjoining bathroom that held a shower, no tub. I was surprised to see a small crib.

"I didn't expect this," I said. El's eyes fell on Camden; her face softened.

"It was mine."

"Yours?"

She nodded. She suddenly seemed nervous. "You eat?"

I was suddenly starving. I dropped my bags. I rustled through things until I found one of those baby strap contraptions. Lauren had bought it; I had forgotten the right name for it. I put it on and slipped Cam in it. He complained for just a minute.

I'm sure he would have given anything to be pressed up against an actual boob.

El smiled and turned to lead the way back to the kitchen. I pressed my palm to Camden's warm head.

I knew my first duty was to protect him. Whether or not staying in a house with a grumpy old woman and a possible syren was the best choice, I didn't know.

But at the moment, it was the only choice.