- Text Size +
Chapter Two

"I'm starving."

"What's new?"

Eight of us were huddled in the hotel lobby: Lauren, myself, Howie, preggo Leigh, Brian, Leighanne, AJ, and Rochelle. Our after-show dynamic had changed dramatically. I was sober, AJ was trying to stay sober, Leigh couldn't party, and Brian was crazy enough without being drunk.

But we were all able to eat.

"What does everyone feel like?" Bri asked. Leighanne snuggled up to him. Baylee was zonked out upstairs. Someone from the Littrell entourage was watching him.

"Chicken," J said.

"Burrrrrrrritos," Brian said. He rolled his R high to holy hell.

"Steak," I said. Even the word made my mouth water.

"You guys realize it's almost midnight, right?" Leigh asked. Happy Howie winked at her.

"Never fear. I know a place."

It was a good thing D knew a place. There was nothing written in English. I only knew a few words in Spanish - cheese, bathroom, and about six curse words. 'Steak' was a little beyond me.

The place D knew was close to the hotel. We walked in a group, security flanking us. All of the pretty senoritas that were smart enough to track us down followed along, rambling so fast that it sounded like they weren't saying anything at all. It was more like one long continuous screech.

"Chicken, burritos, steak," D said happily. He turned and winked. I so wanted to sneak into his hotel room some morning, run a thin line of superglue on his lid and watch his reaction when he performed the first wink of the day.

Even though it was late, the restaurant was packed. That was one thing I loved about South America. People treated the nights like Americans treated their days. Siestas took place around noon; parties began at midnight.

A couple waitresses worked to push two tables together. We were seated admist a shitload of fanfare. I sat down and rubbed my back against the chair. An itch had started about a half hour before. I ran a hand along my neck. It was soaked again.

"Didn't you take a shower after the show?" Lauren asked.

"Of course I did," I said with a scowl.

"I can vouch for that. I've never seen a bigger, whiter ass," J said with a snicker. He leaned back in his chair, a cigarette held lightly between his fingers.

"Could we not talk about Nick's bottom?" Bri said. He shook the menu.

"Bottom?" J said. He snorted. "Damnit, just say ass."

"Tequila," Howie said. I looked up. A waitress was standing to Leigh's right, a notepad in hand.

"I'll second the tequila," Brian said.

"Pina colada," I said. I had six pairs of eyes on me. Lauren wasn't the type to get all up my ass on shit. She was studying the menu calmly. I knew that she already knew what I was going to say. "Virgin," I finished.

AJ ordered a Coke. Even virgin drinks were too much temptation for him. Rochelle ordered some girly drink that I was sure was going to come back with a red umbrella in it.

As everyone started to talk, I rubbed up against my chair again. The itch was driving me nuts; it was in that annoying spot where your fingers just couldn't reach. I growled in frustration.

"What's wrong with you tonight?" Lauren asked. I hunched forward.

"I've got an itch," I said.

"Where?"

I motioned towards the spot. Her long nails scratched way too low.

"Higher," I said. She didn't move up far enough. "Higher," I said.

When her nails hit the spot it felt so amazing I almost shook my leg. Instead, I just moaned. She stopped long before the itch was satisfied.

"It's still--"

"Nick," Lauren whispered. I looked at her. Her forehead was creased in confusion.

"What?" I whispered back.

"There's something on your back."

I rolled my eyes. "You're crazy."

"But--"

"Carter! Whatcha want to eat?"

Lauren and I both looked up. For some strange reason, I caught a strong whiff of her shampoo. It smelled good. The waitress was smiling at us. Lauren ordered a light rice dish. I glanced back at the menu.

"Steak," I said.

"Filete," Howie translated.

The waitress said something. Howie glanced at me.

"How do you want that done?"

"Rare," I said.

"Filete raro," Howie said. The waitress continued around the table. When she was gone, Leighanne spoke first.

"Rare steak?"

"Will the thing still be mooing when it gets to the table?" Brian asked.

"Just sip your tequila, twinkle toes," I said. "Rare steak is good for you."

"On what planet?" J asked.

Lauren looked up. I smiled. J had done it now. Lauren started to explain about the virtues of eating red meat.

While J was getting lectured, D and Bri had initiated a standing order on tequila. I saw Howie count to three on his fingers; they both tipped their shot glass back, quickly grabbed a lime and sucked it within an inch of its life. Bri shook his head and laughed. He held out a shot to Leighanne. She shook her head, but she ended up taking it.

The east side of the table was well on its way to getting da-runk.

My virgin pina colada was good, but somehow it didn't pack the punch like the real deal. I lifted the straw a little and sloshed it through the glass. At least it was cold. The drink practically evaporated the moment it hit my mouth.

"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

I looked up. Bri was pointing at a large plate. The waitress set it down in front of me.

The steak took up most of the plate. Surrounding it were steamed vegetables. A little pink pick sticking out of the meat reconfirmed that it was indeed rare. I grabbed my steak knife and cut in; blood gushed out, quickly spreading to the vegetables.

My pulse throbbed. I lifted a meaty hunk and put it in my mouth.

I had never tasted anything better; it was like I had never eaten before in my life. The knife clattered against my plate. I tore my fingers in viciously and picked up a hunk. I tossed the bite in my mouth, greedily sucking the blood that was sliding underneath my nails.

"Nick?"

The voice sounded garbled; like I was underwater. I tore at the steak, shoveling down another mouthful.

"NICK!"

This voice was much louder. I jumped. Lauren's eyes were wide.

Everyone was looking at me.

"Wha?" I asked thickly.

"What the hell are you doing to that steak?" J asked.

I looked down at my plate. The thing was torn to shreds. I felt a little bit of blood dribble down my chin. My hands were covered in juice.

"I--uh---"

I had no explanation.