- Text Size +

Chapter 13

             I spent the rest of the day going over and over the conversation in my head, and the more I thought about it, the more worried I became. "What is this ‘project' he's working on? Why couldn't he tell me about it? Maybe it's not that he couldn't but that he didn't WANT to. But why wouldn't he wanna tell me? What could he be working on that he wouldn't want me to know about? On the other hand, we haven't made any commitments, he doesn't owe me anything. Maybe that's it. Maybe all this time I've been right. Sure we've been having a great time together but who's to say he hasn't been having fun with someone else too? And that's why he couldn't tell me. Come to think of it, he never said my name that entire conversation, or even called me Groupie! That's gotta be what it is. He's met someone else and now he's gotta get rid of his ‘fun times' girl. And he's been with her these past few days and that's why he couldn't talk to me. I am such an idiot! ‘We really need to talk.' That never means anything good! He's definitely gonna end it. What am I gonna do?"

            By that night I had convinced my self that this theory I had come up with HAD to be true. That Nick was going to call me tonight and tell me he couldn't see me anymore. I had never felt so stupid. "I was basically his whore! Sure we had a few laughs in between, but that was just a bonus. I was too easy and now I'm of no use to him. I knew it!! How could I think that I would ever be anything more? I should have just stayed away like I had planned to do that morning. Then none of this would have happened and I would have been blissfully ignorant!" I was so full of anger and disappointment that when 9:00 rolled around and the phone rang, I almost didn't answer it.