- Text Size +
Chapter Four

“We have yet to find a plan to get back at Kevy with” Dulcia said, tapping her freshly painted black nails on the marble counter of her hotel suite. It had been almost two weeks since the incident and she wanted to get going on the revenge plan before it was too late to count and still be funny. She’d invited the girls over to hang out while the guys were all in press meetings all morning. The small blonde looked to be deep in thought, which was unusual for the girl who normally thought up things off the top of her head without any problem.

“What,” Adonica asked in mock shock, “Dulcia Wilhelmi has no ideas? What ever will we do.”

“Shut up,” Dulcia laughed, picking up a fork and chucking it at her.

Adonica ducked, and the fork hit the wall, leaving the slightest marking of three tiny holes.

“If they ask, those were there when we checked in,” Dulcia said. The girls looked at her skeptically before she defensively remarked, “Hey, it’s always a possiblility, ya know.”

She went back to thinking while Adonica and Alaura chatted among themselves. So far, all of their ideas hadn’t impressed Dulcia, therefore, they decided to leave the thinking up to her. Adonica thought that telling that something bad had happened to Brian, but they’d all quickly decided that that would be too cruel and that he would never forgive them for that. They all knew how hard it had been on he guys years before when he’d had to go in for surgery. Alaura came up with the idea of putting something under his covers that he was afraid of, but nobody knew what he feared. As far as they knew, the man was fearless. Dulcia was still coming up with the ultimate plan. They could tell by the way her face kept changing that the wheels were turning at full speed up in her head. She was close to completing and working out all of the details.

“So, what do you think she’s gonna come up with?” Alaura asked

“With her, God only knows,” Adonica shook her head, and smiled slightly, thinking back to Rich. Her sweet Rich.

“Girls, I’ve got it,” Dulcia finally exclaimed. She told her friends what she had in mind. She had every detail worked thought up except for a place for the plot to take place. She told them everything from beginning to end. Alaura and Adonica’s mouths drew into a smile the more she explained the plan, “All we have to do is get all of the guys to agree, or work with who we can get to agree. Howie or Brian will be the best bet to tell him, because they’re the most honest and will be the most believeable. You know what I’m saying?”

“That’s perfect,” Adonica said, glad that she had a creative friend.

They both looked to Alaura to see what she thought. Unless they all agreed, it would never work out.

“I like it,” she said, “Nobody gets hurt, but its great revenge. And we can tell him that it was payback afterwards.”

“I think he’ll figure it out,” Dulcia said, “He’s pretty smart. As soon as he finds out that it was us, he’ll know that it was to get back at him.”

The girls knew that she was right. And even if he didn’t up front figure it out, they knew that somewhere in the back of his mind, he would know what the whole point of the prank was really about. Now all they had to do was plan everything out perfectly. None of them could wait to get the guys in on the plan. If carried through efficiently, it would be the time of their lives.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So, when do you think we should release the new album?” Kevin asked the guys, wanting to know their input on things.

“It’s July now, and we’re still recording,” Brian said, “If we hurry, we can have it done by late September and release by November and start off with a new tour by early next year.”

The guys all nodded, knowing that Brian had a good plan.

“We don’t want to rush it though,” Kevin said, “Or else the album will turn out to be shit. As it is we’re recording while touring this year. It’s hard and stressful on all of us and not really working out. The tour will be over in another couple of months. Our other option is to forget the album and record like crazy when we can focus only on that.”

“I like that idea,” Howie said, “That way, maybe the tour will go more smoothly.”

Kevin’s mind started to wander off to Adonica while the other guys discussed the album and tour. The longer time went on, the more he liked her. He couldn’t help it and knew that it was wrong since she was stuck on Rich. He thought that Rich was the luckiest guy in the world. He had the only girl that Kevin wanted and would probably never get. He wished that he had a shot with the girl. He thought that he could treat her way better than Rich ever could, and that was saying a lot because Rich treated her like she was the most precious gem on earth. It was getting harder and harder for him to concentrate with each and every passing day. The thought had crossed him to let her go, so that she wouldn’t be around anymore to distract him, but then he’d quickly decided against it. She was a great dancer and did a lot of good for the band, along with her friends. And if he fired her, then her friends would quit, no questions asked. He didn’t want to lose any of them. But he had to do something about his attraction toward her, and quickly. He’d tried liking somebody else, and even blind dates set up by his band members, who had all eventually found out that he liked her, but nothing was working. He called every date Adonica and had no interest in them at all.

“Earth to Kevin,” A.J. called out.

Kevin snapped out of his daze and looked around. All of the guys were staring at him oddly.

“Tell her already. Maybe she likes you too, but is sticking with Rich because she doesn’t think you like her back.” Nick suggested

“Nick, that is the single most dumbest thing I have ever heard you say. Have you noticed how bright she lights up whenever he walks into a room? She’s crazy about him. Besides, it would never work out. I am way older and if we broke up, she would most definitely leave. Someone as good as her would be hard to replace.”

Nick knew that he was right. It had taken them a full summer just to find girls that were as wonderful as they were. They’d only had two spots open, but had made room for the extra girl when they’d find out it was either all or none. The show seemed to do better with one girl too many. They’d found the trio when they’d auditioned one week after the group had given up, deciding to try and make due with a short number of dancers. It was extremely late noticed, but they’d wowed them with their ablilities and amazed the guys even more with their willingness to learn all the dance moves so quickly. It was an answer to all of their prayers. Especially since Kevin been stressing over how it would go with two girls short. But now they had one extra.

“Then get with it,” A.J. said, “We have a show tonight. You need to get your head out of the clouds and focus for once.”

Kevin started to protest, but then realized that he’d said the same thing to all of the guys on several accounts. It would be hypocritical of him to say anything to A.J. about the comment, so thought better of it and kept his mouth shut. A.J was right. They did have a show, and he wanted to make it the best that they’d had in months.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Okay guys,” Dulcia said, “I know we all agreed to get back at Kevin for being late that one night, and I’ve finally come up with something.”

One by one, the girls had gathered the guys together to inform them on the plan, leaving Kevin in his . They had two hours before they had to be at the show, and the girls wanted to get their idea out in the open and under way as soon as possible. The sooner, the better because if they waited too long, Kevin would forget all about being late and not know what their cruelty was about.

“Yeah,” Nick said, “What is it?”

The girls each took turns explaining in full detail what they had in mind. Dulcia did most of the talking because it was her plan and she knew exactly what she wanted to do and how to pull it off. Alaura and Adonica willingly let her take most of the spotlight so that they wouldn’t mess up any details. Most of the guys nodded, small smiles forming on their lips letting them know that they liked what they were hearing. But a couple of them kept a straight face making it so that the girls could not read what they thought but knew that Dulcia wouldn’t be shy about finding out.

“So, what do you think,” she asked once she was finished telling all.

“I think that we should do it,” Nick said, his eyes glowing mischeviously, “He deserves it.”

“It’s good,” Rich said, “A little cruel, but, it will teach him not to be late anymore…if he gets the point of it.”

“Cruel is right,” Brian said, shaking his head “He’s my cousin. I don’t like the idea at all.”

“You don’t have to go,” Adonica told him, “But I think that everyone else here is willing to help out.”

“Actually,” Devin said, “I don’t like it so well either.”

“Devin,” Alaura said, putting her hands on her hips, staring her boyfriend square in the eye, “Don’t be such a pussy. It’s a joke. It’s not for real. It’s not like we’re actually going to hurt him.”

Devin sighed, “I don’t know…” his voice trailed off.

“ I’m doing it no matter what,” Alaura told him.

“Fine,” Devin said, after some hesitation, “I’m in. But we better not get our asses arrested.”

Dulcia smiled smugly, happy that they’d gotten one more person to agree. Now all they had to do was work on Brian.

“What do you say,” she asked him, “Want to help out, or be a stick in the mud.”

Brian thought for a moment, “It’s just too mean,” he said, “Kevin is my cousin. I just don’t want to do anything to him.”

“But he affected all of us by being late,” Alaura said, “C’mon. Please”

“Brian, everyone else is in. It’s all up to you. But weather you help out or not, you’d better not even give Kevin a clue as to what we’re up to.” Nick told him

“We could really use your help,” Dulcia stated, attempting to lay a guilt trip on the man.

“Fine. I’ll do it,” Brian finally caved, “But just so you know, I don’t agree with it.”

Everyone cheered and slapped high fives. All ten of them were in on the plan, and it would take all ten to carry it through.

“Alright everyone,” Dulcia announced, a smile as wide as Texas plastered to her face, “As of now, Operation Payback is officially underway.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Okay guys, we’re on,” Kevin shouted above the mass of screaming fans on the other side of the stage, “Is everyone ready?”

“Looks like it,” Brian said, “Hey, Kevin. An emergency meeting has been called for Monday afternoon at three o clock at the Mariott Resort here in town. It’s in the Presidential Conference Room.”

Kevin stopped and looked at Brian confused, “Why didn’t I know about this. Monday is just three days away.” He looked enraged and ran a hand through his hair. Brian felt like backing down right there, but knew that he couldn’t let the other nine people down.

“We got the call while you were in the restroom. I took it.” Brian lied.

Kevin patted Brian on the back and thanked him. Brian again felt guilty and bad, not believing what he was going to his own cousin. But it was too late now.

“Is that all of the surprises for tonight?” Kevin asked.

Everyone nodded, keeping straight faces.

“Okay then, lets go,”

Adonica went over to Rich and kissed him passionately on the lips, “I love you baby,” she said, rubbing his face, “Monday is going to be the time of our lives.”

“I love you too,” Rich murmured, looking deep into her eyes and smiling, “Good luck out there. Like you need it though. You’re amazing.”

Adonica rolled her eyes, but she loved the compliments that he gave her. Kevin was watching them as the other guys were preparing to go out on stage. Jealousy boiled in his veins and he couldn’t stand to watch them for one more second.

“Adonica,” he barked, “Come on. Let’s move it.”

Adonica smiled apologetically into Rich’s eyes as she got up on her toes and kissed him one last time.

“See you after the show,” she waved, following the other girls out onto the stage to begin the concert.

The first half of the show went smoothly with no mistakes. The boys sang their songs and the girls danced with all that they had in them. During the second half though, Kevin couldn’t keep his eyes off of Adonica. She looked so sexy in her tight pants and tight shirt, her midriff showing. He kept tripping up and losing sync with all of the other guys. He could tell that they were getting irritated with him, but didn’t say anything and things kept on getting worse. During one of the more upbeat songs, Kevin kept tripping, not able to concentrate at all. Adonica just looked so tempting. He kept dancing closer and closer to the edge of the stage, and further and further away from the guys. A.J shot Howie a look that said “What is he doing?” But all four knew that they had to do something, so made up moves as they went to go get Kevin back on track. It was too late though. He’d hit the edge of the stage, his foot going half way off. He looked down, startled, and tried to regain his balance, but it was too late. He took one last look around before toppling off of the stage. A mass of screaming girls surrounded him as the music stopped. Brian jumped off of the stage and the crowd just got larger.

“Everybody stay back,” he yelled, “One of you,” he said, pointing to everyone on stage, “Call for an ambulance.”

Brian yelled again for everyone to back off and they slowly did. Eventually, there was just enough room for Brian to see Kevin lying on his stomach. His arm was at an angle that wasn’t normal, a gash on his head. A knot formed in the pit of his stomach as he prayed for an ambulance to get there quickly, before the crowd formed again and made things worse than they already were.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The group waited in the hospital for word on Kevin. It had taken over half an hour to fight the heard of girls away from the injured member, but they’d eventually cleared space when the paramedics came. Rich held Adonica close to him, and the other two sat in their boyfriend’s laps’. A.J. shook his head in disgust. He knew that Kevin had been eyeing Adonica the whole time. If he’d just been able to concentrate instead of losing his cool, he’d have been fine. But things kept getting worse with every show and now he was injured and nobody knew how badly.

“If Kevin EVER mentions to us again about slacking,” Nick said, “I’m going to rub this in his face. Especially if it’s over a chick…and someone he knows yet.” He shot Adonica a look and she wondered what it was about but decided that she’d imagined the whole thing.

“This really sucks. There’s about every fan in the state outside waiting to get in.” A.J. complained, “And its not even because they’re concerned. That’s the sick thing about it all.”

Everyone was quiet, not knowing whether he was right or not. Some didn’t really care about what had happened. The majority of them just wanted a chance to get close to them and would take any excuse to do so. Minutes later, a doctor came out. Everyone looked up, waiting for him to explain.

“Nothing serious.” He informed them, “You’re friend broke his arm, but that’s about all other than a bruised ego.” He chuckled, “Tell him to keep his eyes on the stage next time.”

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief happy that everything was okay. They’d feared the worse, but the damage was close enough to nothing.

“He’ll be out soon. We just need to finish bandaging him up, but that should be it. He’ll be released tonight.”

The doctor left and everyone just looked at one another, everyone beginning to smile one by one. The didn’t know how they got into these messes, but always managed to somehow.

“Hey Nick,” Brian laughed, “Not even you break any body parts when you fall off of the stage. You should feel privileged.”

Everyone laughed and Nick flipped Brian off, but it was all in fun. Not more than forty five minutes later, Kevin emerged in the door way, his arm in the cast, a self conscious, sheepish look on his face.

“Look who is gracing us with his presence,” Nick joked.

Kevin laughed good naturedly, “I really need to get my head out of the clouds.” He said.

“At least you weren’t injured any more that you were,” Adonica said.

Kevin looked at her and smiled, thanking her with his eyes. But it was her who’d caused him to fall anyways. She was just so…addicting. As the others engaged in conversation, his eyes lingered on her. Nobody noticed except for Nick.

“Well, what do you say we get out of here,” Kevin said, “This is just one experience that I want to put behind me. The good news is that we can still perform with me like this.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kevin sat in the conference room, looking at the clock in impatients. Monday afternoon had rolled around and it was now 3:15. Nobody had shown up yet and he was beginning to wonder if he’d gotten the place right. He looked down at his casted arm. It was slightly sore still, but nothing too painful. He couldn’t believe that he’d let distractions cause him to dance off stage. It was something he’d never done before. He shook his head and laughed, knowing that it was bound to happen sooner or later. In fact, he’d seen it coming for a while. It had just been a matter of time. Looking up at the clock, he saw that five more minutes had passed. Getting up, he realized that he must have gotten the building wrong. After all, his mind had been a jumble when Brian had told him about the meeting. He went to leave, knowing that he’d better find out where the group really was, and fast. He knew that they weren’t very organized and couldn’t coordinate well without him.

“Well shit,” he muttered, “Just wonderful.”

Just as he was about to leave the room, five people dressed in all black crashed through the door. All of them were pointing guns at Kevin. His he stood there, shaking, not knowing what to do, wishing that they weren’t wearing the masks so that he could see their faces, but realized that criminals didn’t want to be recognized.

“Give me all of your money, now.” One barked with a deep voice.

“I don’t have any,” Kevin said, knowing that it was the wrong thing to say, even though it was true.

“That’s a lie,” another said, with a more feminine voice, “You’re a pop star. You’ve got enough to last you four life times. Now give it.”

Kevin didn’t know what to do. He looked down at his arm again, wishing that it was usable. His left arm was no good, considering he was right handed, and that was his stronger side. He was weak and had no way to defend himself, even if he was the strongest member of the group. In a way, he was glad though. If he tried to fight, they’d shoot him for sure, and if he yelled for help, it wouldn’t help his case much either. He quickly decided that his best chance to live was to be quiet and go along with as much as he could.

“I don’t carry any with me,” Kevin said, “I swear.”

“Give me your wallet,” said a third voice.

Kevin shakily dug in his pocket and pulled his wallet out, throwing it at them. One of them picked it up and opened it, finding nothing but three dollars and his drivers license. He, or she, looked up and snorted.

“I have more money digesting in my stomach.” He said, chucking the wallet back at him.

All five brought their guns back up and pointed them at Kevin.

“Should we finish him off?” a different female asked.

“I think we should.” Said another voice.

Kevin started shaking and fear filled his eyes as his life flashed before him realizing that they were going to kill him right then and there. He wished that he had paid better attention to where the meeting actually was going to be. Chances were, these lunatics had found him alone and followed him there, watching his every move. He hoped that Rich took care of Adonica and was happy that she had him. If he’d been the one with her, then nothing but heartache would come to her from this incident. He also hoped that the band would find somebody to replace him or go on with just the four of them. He knew that they could go on with out him and make it just fine and be successful without him if they really tried. He knew that his death would be hard on them though since they’d been family for a little over then years.

“Please, don’t kill me,” Kevin tried, begging, “I won’t tell anyone about this. Just please leave me alone.”

“Shut up and don’t delay this any longer.” One of them snarled.

All five aimed at Kevin, an evil laugh coming from the pit of the one with the deep voice’s stomach. Kevin closed his eyes and winced, waiting to be done with, not able to look and watch himself being shot over and over by five people. He heard the guns click, cringing, knowing it would only be a matter of seconds before he was dead as the evil laughter got louder.