- Text Size +
Chapter Six

Adonica sighed dramatically. It had been three days since Kevin had pretty much told her to stay out of his life and she was doing just that. She’d decided to not make any contact in any form with him. If it was the way he wanted it, then it was the way it was going to be. So why was she so depressed about him not wanting to speak with her? She quickly decided that it was just because she’d become close with all of the Backstreet Boys and they were all good friends to her. She didn’t want any of them to be mad at her. The joke that they had all played had been funny, but she realized that as hilarious as it had been, it wasn’t worth hurting a friend over. Rumor had been going around that Kevin was asking about getting a new warm-up band. Nothing had happened yet, so she figured that nothing was going to be done.

“Kevin needs to get the wild hair out of his ass and speak to us already,” Dulcia muttered walking into the room, “I tried asking him a simple question and she completely ignored me. This has been going on for way too long.”

“For real,” Alaura agreed, “Oh, and by the way, Dulcia, you were wrong for once in your life. Everything about this didn’t turn out fine.”

Dulcia jokingly flipped Alaura off, “Bite me,” she said.

Adonica got up and heatedly walked out of their hotel room and down the hall to Kevin’s. She was sick of everybody being miserable over him and she was going to put a stop to it once and for all. Pounding loudly on the door, she stood with her hands on her hips waiting for him to answer. Seconds later, the door flung open and Kevin looked down at her, a scowl forming on his lips. He began to shut the door in her face but Adonica held her hand out and stopped it, struggling to keep it open with the small muscle that she had.

“You are not going to shut that door,” Adonica demanded, staring him in the eye, “This has got to end, starting now.”

Kevin glared at her for going against his wishes, but he stepped back, “Come in and get it over with.” He said, not too kindly.

Adonica took his offer and stepped inside the darkened room. She walked over to him and stood in front of him, crossing her arms and then sat down. Kevin sat down a few feet away.

“Well?” he asked.

“Well,” Adonica started, “I think that you’ve made your point. We know that we were wrong. Now lets move on and start over…or start from where we left off before what happened. Whatever. Lets just forget it though.” She said in all one breath.

“It’s not that simple,” Kevin replied coldly, but she could sense some softness in his tone.

“And why not?” she asked.

Kevin was silent for a moment trying to figure out just what he was going to say to her. It was simple really, but complicated all at the same time.

“If you were in my situation, you would
understand,” he finally said, “But you weren’t, so you can’t completely.”

There was no anger in his voice, just sadness this time and Anna was happy that she was at least getting somewhere with him.

“Try to explain,” she urged, “And I’ll try my best to put myself in your shoes and understand what you went through.”

Kevin hesitated. He knew that he needed somebody to talk to about it. It might help him get over it if he had somebody to dumb everything out on. But one of the people who was in on it wasn’t exactly his idea of somebody he wanted to tell. But she had always been good at understanding people, so he decided that he had nothing to lose and gave it a shot.

“I thought that I was going to die,” Kevin said, “I was so afraid, and yet all I could think about was you and everybody else. I didn’t want any of you to be hurt by what happened to me. I was putting you guy’s feelings ahead of my own. When I found out that it was you, something inside me snapped. It was like, I couldn’t believe that I’d spent my time worrying over the people who had hurt me.”

Adonica, for the first time, actually understood why he was so mad. The people who had done it were the ones who he cared about the most. She’d been to upset over being ignored that she hadn’t even considered thinking about his own feelings, and for that she felt like the biggest bitch ever to be born.

“I’m really sorry,” Adonica apologized, “I would take it all back in a heartbeat if I could. I guess that we weren’t fair to you at all. I mean, all you did was go and get some sleep, which made you late. I think we were all just mad because you drug us all out of bed early, but then you snuck away for a nap before the show and nobody knew where you’d gone off to, but what we did was no excuse.”

Kevin smiled at her and it was the most beautiful sight that she had ever seen. It had been so long since she’d seen him smile.

“Well, I’d better get going,” Adonica said, standing up, “Thanks for talking to me. And please don’t ignore us any more.”

Kevin stood up too, “I won’t,” he said.

He hugged Adonica goodbye and as they were letting go, he looked deep into her eyes. Kevin’s breath caught in his throat and he felt as if he could not breath. She was so close to him, and he was so close to her. He could not take it any longer. She looked so beautiful with her hair spilling over her shoulders and her eyes so big and bright. She looked so irresistable. He grabbed Adonica by the shoulders and pulled her in, pressing his mouth firmly against hers in a long, passionate kiss. She pulled away and he saw the startled look in her eyes and he immediately felt bad, not knowing what had come over him.

“I’m so sorry,” he apologized, “I don’t know what I was doing. I…I guess that I just…got caught up in the moment.” He stammered, trying to make up excuses for his actions.

Adonica backed up towards the door, thinking about Rich and how upset he would be if he ever found out about Kevin kissing her. She felt around for the door handle and found it. Kevin saw the panic in her eyes and knew that he had blown it. Slowly turning the handle and opening the door, Adonica turned around and ran back to her own room, trying to shake the image out of her head.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Adonica walked back into her hotel room in a daze staring ahead blankly. What had just happened? It had been there and passed by so quickly that she wasn’t sure if it had just been some sort of mind game or really had shared a kiss with Kevin. She ruled out that it really had happened by the feeling that she still had on her lips.

“What happened,” Dulcia asked, “Did you get him to talk to you?”

Adonica nodded, her eyes still wide and staring at what was right in front of them, trying not to look at her friends.

“And,” Alaura pushed, wondering if his moody days would finally be over or if they would still be treated like chopped liver.

“He kissed me,” Adonica said in monotone.

“Who?” Dulcia asked, giving her friend a questioning look. Her friend was acting weird and she was determined to get to the bottom of it.

Adonica didn’t say anything. If it got back to Rich, he would be so mad at her. After all, it wasn’t her fault. She didn’t want to risk losing him. He was everything to her. Why would Kevin do what he did anyways? It made no since to her at all. She looked over at her friends for the first time and saw the expectancy in their eyes. She knew that she could tell them and trust them with it. They wouldn’t tell anybody if she didn’t want them to, and she definitely didn’t

“Kevin,” she finally told them
.
Alaura and Dulcia looked at Adonica as if they hadn’t heard her right. Their full attention was now on their friend instead of what they’d been doing before she’d come back.

“What did you say?” Alaura asked, with a small laugh, “I think that I heard you wrong. Did you say that KEVIN, as in one of our bosses, Backstreet Boy, one of our best friends Kevin, kissed you?”

Adonica nodded, feeling dirty and guilty. She felt an urgency to see Rich, and to kiss him. She wanted to be in his arms and to have his lips on hers to wash away the feeling of Kevin’s. She wished that she could forget the whole thing. She’d finally gotten Kevin to talk to her again and then this happened. She wanted to avoid him all together, but knew that in order to keep people’s suspicions down, she would have to act normal around him. She’d have to act as if nothing had ever happened.

“Wow,” Dulcia stated, “He knows you are taken.”

Dulcia had always suspected that Kevin had a thing for Adonica. She’d thought it since their first year as dancers for them, and it had started to get worse as soon as LFO had gotten on board with them and she’d become an item with Rich. She didn’t know how Adonica was so oblivious as to not see it. She figured that her friends was just so in love with someone else that she was blind to what was right before her very eyes. But the fact that Kevin had actually acted upon his liking made her mad as well as surprised her. She thought that he’d had more decency than to pursue something with somebody he knew was happy with somebody else. On a positive note, he was she had obviously gotten him to talk to her, and she guessed that he was going to talk to them now, for the first time in a long time.

“Want me to go kick his ass?” Dulcia asked with a grin, “I have my handy baseball bat under my bed.”

She winked to let her friend know that she was joking and Alaura laughed at her, but Adonica looked troubled.

“Don’t worry,” Alaura told her, “Rich will never find out. Not from us, anyways. If you ever want him to, then it’s up to you to let him know. Until that day comes, it never leaves this room.”

Adonica smiled in appriciation. She honestly didn’t know if she should tell Rich or not. They had promised each other that they’d always be truthful. She wasn’t sure if not telling him would be a lie or not. She was just confused and didn’t like the feelings that were going on inside of her. One question kept coming back to her mind though. If she detested the kiss so much, and loved Rich and wanted to be with him, then why had she kind of enjoyed it?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I kissed her,” Kevin said in shame, “She came to talk to me and I kissed her. I kissed Adonica.”

“You WHAT?” A.J. asked, “Kevin, what were you thinking? She’s happily involved with Rich. You know that.”

“I know,” Kevin insisted, “But she looked so irrisistable and perfect and was just standing right before me. I don’t know what happened, but I just grabbed her and BAM. We were lip locked.”

Nick snickered a little. He had been wondering when something like this would happen. He was just surprised that it had taken so long, but he knew that it eventually would. Every time Adonica was around, he saw the way that Kevin looked at her. It was as if her presence lit up his life. And when he’d been ignoring them all, he could tell that the man missed her. Suddenly Nick’s head snapped up though, question written in his blue eyes, confusing on his face.

“Wait a minute,” Nick stated, “Since when are you talking to us?”

Kevin laughed a little. It had taken the guys long enough to realize that he was, in fact, speaking with them.

“Since today,” Kevin told them, “Adonica came to talk to me about the situation, and I promised I would give trying to put it all behind us a try.”

“Thank god for that girl,” Howie joked, “If it weren’t for you being so completely in love with her…god knows how long you would still be ignoring us. She’s the only one you even gave a chance.”

“Not right away,” Kevin informed them, “Before today, I wouldn’t give her the time of day. She demanded she come in and I just went along with it so she’d leave. But, it turned out okay…kind of. She didn’t come out and say it, but she helped me see that I was overreacting.”

“I still can’t believe you kissed Adonica,” A.J. said, shaking his head, and then laughed, “You’d better not ever tell Rich, or let it get back to him. If it does, I think it’s safe to say that it’d better be through Adonica directly. She is, after all, his girlfriend.”

“And you know how things get spread around. Everybody somehow gets one detail wrong, and then by the time it gets back to the person it’s was originally meant for, the facts are all wrong and it makes things worse.” Brian said, “By the time Rich hears the story, word will be going around that you slept together.”

The guys all laughed at the memory of one of their older dancers from when they’d first became dancers. She’d had a doctors’ appointment because of stomach pains. Somehow, by the time she’d heard about it, rumor was going around that she was pregnant with one of the set up crew guy’s baby. She’d been furious and quit then and there because she’d just had the flu and was going in to see about getting medication to help her feel better.

“Yeah,” Nick said, “Let’s leave the decision up to Adonica whether or not Rich finds out.”

The other guys agreed to that too and also to not tell anybody else. They still found it funny what Kevin had done, but knew that it could also get him into a lot of trouble with friends and the boyfriend.

“And Kevin,” Brian said, “Do us all a favor and don’t ever do anything like this again. It will only end badly, and I think that you know it as well as we do, kay?”

Kevin nodded. If there was one thing he wanted, it was to not cause problems with and interfere with other relationships. He knew all too well how that felt and didn’t want to be like the other shallow guys who did this kind of thing to hurt people and get what they want purposely.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rich pulled Adonica in a little closer to him and started kissing up her neck, slowly reaching her mouth. Adonica squirmed a little. His kisses tickled her neck and she giggled.

“Rich, that feels funny,” she whined, but was laughing in spite of herself. He always knew how to be romantic and it flattered her. He made her feel good all of the time all over.

“I know,” he said, stopping what he was doing and grinned at her.

Adonica changed her position and snuggled into his side. Kevin had finally told them that they could share a room again, along with everybody else and their boyfriend or girlfriend. She was happy for that, but she still couldn’t shake what had happened earlier out of her mind.

“It’s great being with you day and night again,” Rich said aloud, as if he’d been reading her mind.

“Mmm-hmm,” Adonica replied, still thinking about the kiss she’d shared with one of her best friends.

Rich leaned forward and looked at Adonica funny and she stared back at him and forced a smile.

“Are you okay baby?” Rich asked, “You’ve been acting different all day.”

Adonica froze, wondering what she was going to do. She had hoped that she wasn’t acting strange, and if she was, that Rich wouldn’t catch on. But he obviously had. She searched her mind for a valid excuse and said the first thing that came to her mind, even if it wasn’t the best.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just really tired. I’ve had a long day.” Adonica said lamely, hoping that he would believe her. She even forced on a yawn to seem more convincing. Even if she was going to tell him the truth, she figured that now wasn’t the time. Not when she had an unconfident gut feeling that she’d end up losing him over it. She would wait until she felt more confident.

Rich seemed satisfied with the answer and gently pushed Adonica’s head onto his shoulder where she could rest it.

“Just close your eyes and get some sleep.” He urged, “I’ll be right here staring at your beautiful face when you wake up.”

Adonica swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat and picked up her head to kiss him one last time before laying her head back down. Why did he have to be so sweet to her? She loved it, but under the circumstances, she wished that he wasn’t the best thing to ever come into her life. Then again, maybe because he was such a doll, he wouldn’t take it so hard when she finally did tell him. Adonica closed her eyes and let a few tears fall out of her eyes, hoping that Rich wouldn’t feel them soaking through his shirt. She had a lot of thinking to do, and not nearly as much time as she knew that she would most likely need