- Text Size +
Chapter Seven

Dear Kevin,
The Backstreet Boys are the greatest band ever, but dude, ask out the one dancer chick already. It is SOOO obvious that you dig her. Maybe if you just admit it to yourself, you can get your act together again.
Love Always
Nikita

Kevin finished reading the note and sighed. It had been the fourteenth one that day alone that had said pretty much the same thing. He tossed the letter into the large pile and reached over to his unopened stack to get another to read. He ripped open the envelope and pulled the letter out. He unfolded it and read it.

Kev
Okay, first off, I saw a show of yours back in Detroit, and you guys are absolutely amazing. But I have to tell ya, you suck at hiding your feelings towards the one dancer…I think its Adonica. I can tell by the way you look at her that you are majorly attracted. I know that she is dating Rich, the LFO guy, but who cares. You and her would be a much better match. Ask her out on a date, tell her how you feel, do something. I can guaruntee that she’ll feel the same.
Love, Kisses and Hugs
Brandi

A small smile formed on Kevin’s face. Was he looking past the fact that Adonica was attracted to him too and would rather be with him than Rich? Maybe he should ask her out to dinner and tell her how he felt. But Kevin roughly shook his head, ridding his head of the idea. It was ridiculous. Adonica was in love with Rich. Rich was in love with her, but so was he. But Adonica and Rich were very happy together. He couldn’t complicate the relationship any more by making her feel guilty or making her feel like she had to choose. It would be wrong of him. He frowned, throwing the note aside and began to open another one. He’d give one more note a try. If it so much as mentioned Adonica and him dating, then he would scream.

Kevin
Not like you will actually read this, or it will ever actually be opened, but I just wanted to say that I know about your kiss with Adonica.

Kevin threw his hands in the air in protest and frustration. Did everybody know that he liked the girl? Was he not as secretive as he’d once thought? He knew that he used to do a good job of hiding it, but it was becoming harder and harder every day. Kevin sighed and decided to finish reading the letter and then quit for the day.

Do everything you can to destroy her relationship with Rich. You deserve her. After the tour is over, do you really think that old Richie will stick around? I think not. But she’s been touring with you for years now. You could have a relationship that lasts. I doubt that she’ll give up on dancing for you guys, so break them up now, before she gets hurt later on.
I know what I am talking about
Amanda

The Amanda chick did have a good point. What were the chances that Rich and Adonica would stay together after the tour? Sure, they would talk and be all mushy for a few weeks, but then the phone calls would grow further and further apart as they became busy with their own things. And then they’d only talk on occasion, and eventually the calls would stop and they’d have nothing but memories of their summer fling. And eventually, they’d forget all about each other. He knew the pattern. He’d seen it happen a dozen times. Ah, hell, what was he thinking. Not all relationships turned out like that. He just hoped that theirs would so he would have a chance. Kevin knew that he was being selfish, but he couldn’t help it. Then a sudden thought came to his mind. How could Amanda possibly know about the kiss? It was confidential and he’d been so careful as to make sure that it stayed between him and the guys. How did a fan know anything about it? Dread filled the pit of Kevin’s stomach. If this got back to Rich, he’d have a confrontation that he’d be tempted to run from. Kevin scanned his mind trying to remember if he’d said anything about it in front of somebody who’d rat him out? He couldn’t think of anything. But maybe the guys had been talking about it and it was overheard and put into the wrong hands. Kevin put his head in his hands, shaking it in anguish. He didn’t know what he was going to do. Why did he have to like her in this way? He wished that he could rewind his life back a few years and make it so when Adonica and her friends had first shown up, he thought nothing of it. He couldn’t though. He would either have to deal with the attraction, or take all of the fans advice and destroy her relationship and take her as his own.

“What am I going to do?” Kevin groaned,

squeezing his eyes shut. He was in such a mess and he’d dug the hole himself and had a feeling that before the end of it all, he’d only make it deeper.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Hey, Adonica, you alright?”

Adonica looked up and saw Alaura staring at her. It was three days later. Three days since the kiss and it consumed her every thought. She honestly didn’t know how much longer she could live like this. Live in this lie.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she told her friend.

Alaura looked at her skeptically. Adonica didn’t look fine. She looked anything but. Her eye’s were bloodshot and had dark circles underneath of them. She’d turned a pale color and looked as if she’d lost ten pounds in the past few days. Her movements looked strenuous and like they took more effort than they should. Plus, she could barely keep up with the dance moves during shows anymore. No, Adonica definitely wasn’t fine.

“Girl,” Alaura said, “You need to eat something, lay down and get some rest. Real rest. You aren’t yourself and you are worrying me and Dulcia…the guys too. They’re all asking about you.”

Adonica raised an eyebrow. Why were her friends worried about her? Better question, why were the guys? There was nothing wrong with her. She did admit to herself that she wasn’t with it lately, but there was no need to tell anybody else that. Seconds later, Dulcia walked in the door with a grin plastered to her face. All it took was one look at her and the attention was off of Adonica. She drew in a sigh of relief.

“What’s with you?” Alaura asked her.

“Brad and I just had the best time,” Dulcia said, “He’s soooo amazing.”

“Please, spare us the details of your private romances with your boyfriend,” Adonica said, sticking her tongue out.

“I wasn’t talking about that, smartass,” Dulcia told them, “We went out to a club. But just for that comment, next time we do get wet n wild, you’ll be the first to know every single thing that went on.”

Adonica and Alaura laughed at their friend, “You should really try dating Nick.” Adonica joked, “You’d look really cute together and would be a better match, in my opinion.”

Dulcia drew back in astonishment. Her and Nick? “Nick is so immature. Sure, he is adorable, but he hasn’t grown up. Brad, on the other is older, mature, buff, sweet, and is so more my type than Nick.”

“Dude, I was joking.” Adonica said, “Besides, we all love our LFO men, do you not agree with me?”

Her friends nodded in agreement. Suddenly, Dulcia’s head whipped around, staring at Adonica, “Are you okay?” she asked

“Yes,” Adonica screamed in frustration, “I am FINE.”

“Okay, okay,” Dulcia said, “You don’t need to bite my head off.”

Adonica rolled her eyes, a sick feeling coming over her. Why couldn’t she just forget what had happened and move on? She had Rich, the best boyfriend that anybody could ask for. The thought came to her that maybe she liked Kevin more than she was letting on to, but quickly discarded the thought as being ridiculous. There was no way that she liked Kevin in that way.

“Anyways,” Dulcia said, catching Adonica’s attention, making her realize that she’d missed part of a conversation, “Me and Brad are going to an amusement park tomorrow. The other guys, LFO and Backstreet are all going and I so don’t wanna be the other chick. Will you guys go with me?”

“Sounds like fun,” Alaura said, “I mean, I wont ride anything, but, if you and Adonica do, then I’ll walk around and wait. It’s fun doing that.”

“I’m up for it,” Adonica replied, “I love coasters.”

“Okay then,” Dulcia said, “I’ll go let the guys know, and they’ll make reservations or something…whatever they do.”

Adonica nodded and Dulcia walked out the door again in search of the nearest Backstreet Boy that she could find. Adonica hoped that everything went well the next day. She’d been doing a good job at avoiding Kevin for the past couple of days, for the most part. But at the amusement park, she’d be around Rich and Kevin. She hoped that she didn’t feel awkward or that anybody would let on to what had happened. Adonica tried to fight the nervousness in her stomach. All she could do was take things as they came and hope for the best.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next day rolled around before any of them had time to blink. They all had agreed on waking up early and get to the park an hour before opening to avoid long lines to get in and get on a few rides before they got overly crowded.

“So, are we going to split up or all hang together?” Dulcia asked once they were inside the gate, “If we all hang together, hell, we’d take up an entire coaster train between the eleven of us.”

Everybody laughed at her statement. They all knew that they wouldn’t take up the whole train, but a good third of it would consist of all of them. And if they all stayed together, it would get too confusing to keep track of everybody.

“I say that we split up for awhile, meet here for lunch, split up again with someone different…maybe couples, for those of us who have someone,” He gave Adonica a sideways glance, “Then meet for dinner and then do some group things.” Kevin suggested, being organized as always. He always seemed to have a plan for everything already thought out.

“Sounds good,” Alaura replied, “Hey, girls, you wanna all go around together first?”

“Sure,” Adonica and Dulcia agreed together.

“I guess its gonna be us three,” Devin said to his band mates, looking at the other two of them to get there assurance that it was alright with them, or to see if they’d rather split with someone in the other band, “Sound okay to you guys?”

Rich and Brad nodded, agreeing for the three of them to stick together for the first portion of the day.

“Okay,” Kevin piped up, “Nick, you wanna come with me? Bri, Howie and Aje can do their own thing.”

Nick’s shoulders slumped. He wanted to have fun the whole day, not go to historical plays and other boring things. He was hoping to spend the day with his best friend, Brian. But he knew he’d feel too bad if he told Kevin that he didn’t want to spend a few simple hours with him. Sure, Kevin would never admit that he was hurt, but Nick knew him well enough to know that he really would be.

“I guess so,” he replied sullenly, forcing an enthusiastic smile, “Sounds like it’ll be fun.”

Kevin nodded in satisfaction looking down at his watch, “It’s about nine. Want to meet in this area at two?”

Everybody agreed and broke off into their own separate ways.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Okay, so where to first, ladies?” Dulcia asked, “Ya know, it’s a good thing that we aren’t hanging around the guys for a few hours. Now we can have fun without being mobbed by fans. I mean, they all may be disguised, but there’s always that one crazed fan who can recognize them no matter what.”

“Lets just walk around. If we see anything that interests us, then we stop.” Alaura said, “I don’t think any of us have been here before, so, that’s all we really can do…to avoid running back and forth.”

The girls walked around for a while enjoying their day off. It felt so good to not have to think about being up on stage in a few hours for once. Adonica planned, or at least hoped, to get a serious tan while she was out all day. If she did, then everybody would quit complaining about her looking so pale and pasty white and sickly. She didn’t want to hear it anymore. She was pretty sure that everybody had said something to her at one point or another on the two-hour ride to the park that morning.

“Adonica,” Alaura asked, “Have you talked to Kevin since the, um, one thing happened?”

Adonica shook her head, “I’ve tried to act like nothing has happened, but its hard. I just can’t face him.”

A sudden thought made Adonica’s head jerk up. The time that Kevin had asked her for help moving the piece of stage equipment that he was perfectly capable of moving himself…had that been because he liked her? Adonica shuddered. He had stared at her for far too long. Adonica wondered how she could have not seen it before then. Was she really that blind, or was she just ignoring or looking past all of the signs?

“You can’t do that forever, you know,” Dulcia said, “Rich will catch on that something happened. He’ll know something is up.”

“I know,” Adonica whispered, “But god, what would you do if Nick kissed you, Dulcia. Or, Alaura, what would you do if A.J. kissed you?”

“I admit, it would change everything,” Alaura said.
A completely disgusted look came over Dulcia’s face that the others caught rather quickly, “That is so wrong.” She said, shaking the vivid image out of her head, “Ewww…yuck.”

“Now watch her end up with him,” Alaura joked.

Dulcia scowled, “That is never going to happen.”

Alaura snickered. She would rub it in Dulcia’s face like there was no tomorrow if she did end up with Nick instead of Brad.

“Anyways,” Dulcia remarked, “I think the point that Alaura is trying to get across is that you need to act normal around Kevin, until you figure out what you want, exactly. That way, LFO won’t get suspicious. They are close, like the Boys are. One of them catches on, he will tell Rich.”

“What’s to figure out?” Adonica asked with innocence.

“I think you know exactly what I mean,” Dulcia said, “You can’t pretend that you don’t.”

Adonica bit her bottom lip out of nervousness. She knew exactly what Dulcia meant and sadly, she didn’t know what she was going to do about it yet and wasn’t even close to figuring it out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So, are ya as bored as you thought you’d be?” Kevin asked Nick as they stepped in line of Speed-Demon, which had just opened three weeks prior to their visit. It was supposedly the tallest, fastest and largest coaster at the park and Nick couldn’t wait to get on it.

“Not at all,” Nick replied with an impish grin, “Actually, I’m having a great time with ya.”

Kevin chuckled to himself looking at a sign that said they’d have a sixty-minute wait. He figured that it wasn’t bad, considering what the wait could be like. In fact, the line was rather short for what he’d heard it normally was. He was glad that his early arrival plan was paying off for at least one coaster.

“What?” Nick asked in defense, “You love history shit. I figured you’d drag me to the Civil War play or some boring crap like that.”

“Nick, I know how to have fun,” Kevin laughed again, “Jeez, you make me sound like some sort of dork or something.”

“Sometimes you are,” Nick kidding with a hint of seriousness in his tone.

Kevin playfully swatted Nick on the back of the head, “Look who’s talking. The king of dork.”

Nick acted wounded, but he couldn’t imitate being angry for long. He was having such a good time for the first time in months. And it was especially nice to be hanging out with Kevin and him not on his back. It had been less than a week ago that Kevin was ignoring them all and now things seemed perfectly normal. Like nothing had ever happened between them.

“Hey, Kevo,” somebody shouted, “Nicky.”

Kevin and Nick looked over and saw A.J. and Brian waving at them one line over diagonally with goofy grins plastered to their faces.

“Wut up, bro?” A.J. yelled.

Kevin shook his head, “Where’s D?” he asked, wondering where the other member of their group was at.

“He ate too much cotton candy and is feeling sick to his stomach,” Brian explained, “He decided to sit out on this one.”

“And now his nickname really does fit…” A.J. trailed off, “Sweet D…except, the sweets made him green.”

Nick made a face at the thought of Howie spewing all over the face. It wasn’t a very nice image to have in his mind. Brian and A.J. advanced in line and begun talking amungst themselves again.

“So, Kevin,” Nick asked, “Have you been feeling okay lately?”

Nicks question had shocked him causing him to choke, “Excuse me?” he asked in wonderment.

“Well, I mean, ever since you kissed Adonica…you just don’t seem like yourself, man. You’re out of it. You look sick half the time.”

Kevin thought for a moment. Was it really that obvious that he just was not with it lately? He supposed that it had been.

“I don’t know,” he admitted, “It’s changed everything…yet I don’t regret it at all. It was…an amazing experience.”

“I know that you’ve liked her for a long time,” Nick said knowingly.

Kevin admired the boy’s sharpness, especially since half the time, he was clueless as to his surroundings.

“I have liked her for a long time,” Kevin admitted openly, not denying it any longer, “I just wish that something could happen between us. I would treat her so much better than Rich, and that is saying a lot because he treats her like gold.”

Nick nodded in agreement. Rich was really good to her. It would take a lot to pass him up, but he knew for a fact that Kevin would if given the chance.

Before they knew it, Nick and Kevin were watching Brian and A.J. get onto the ride. Less than a minute later, they were off.

“Well, we’re up next,” Kevin announced as they begun to step up to the yellow painted line to await stepping on to the next train.

Just then, two boys about thirteen years old ran in front of Nick and Kevin, ditching them in line.

“Hey,” Nick protested, “It was our turn.”
“Nick,” Kevin said through gritted teeth, speaking semi-quietly, “They’re little. Just let them go. Be a grown up about this, okay. Show them that we’re mature. What will an extra two minutes do?”

Nick crossed his arms stubbornly and pouted as he watched the two kids step onto the ride into the spots that were rightfully his and Kevin’s. He hated little kids. What right did they think they had pushing ahead of them? The train took off and another came up and unloaded. The new bunch stepped on. Nick buckled the seatbelt and pulled down his shoulder harness. The announcer came on beginning her before-ride commentation when she was cut off as everybody quickly grew silent at the sudden sound of shrill screeching of metal and frantic screams followed by a loud sickening crash.