- Text Size +

Chapter 28

Monday morning dawns bright and clear. I dress for work without really thinking about it. I still can’t get over my weekend, but I have to put it out of my head and get to work.

When I walk in the office, it’s all hustle and bustle. Looking around, I see Michelle, my assistant, and she looks like she’s seen a ghost. I walk up to her and say, “What’s going on?”

She says, “It’s over. In October John is retiring and Jane doesn’t want to run the place alone. They are closing.”

John and Jane are the owner’s. Great people and super nice to work for. J & J Designs was built from the ground up by them. I go into Jane’s office and say, “Is it true?”

She says, “Yeah, it is, but before you get all upset and weepy like everyone else, I want to talk to you about something.”

I say, “Sure, what’s up?”

She says, “Our decision to close is only because when John retires we want to travel. Yes, we know we can keep the business up and running with you in charge, but we don’t want the hassle. So, we’d like to offer the business to you. Sell it to you. If you want.”

I’m stunned into silence. I just blink. Finally, I say, “Me? You’re offering to sell me your business?”

She says, “OK, maybe we can rephrase it. What we want is for you to make an initial $100,000 investment. Everything in the building will be yours. Plus, you can change the name. Basically, we’re selling you the equipment and our client list. You can change the name, whatever you want. All we want is what the supplies are worth. You’ll have to negotiate the lease or find a new location. That’s why it’s happening in October. That’s when our lease it up. That gives you 6 months to decide and make arrangements.”

“Oh wow,” is all I can say.

She says, “Think it over. No rush for a decision.” Then, as if we were talking about the weather, she changes the subject and says, “How are your jobs? You only have 2 right now, correct?”

I say, “Yeah, um, the Smith’s house should be done next week, and the Carter house is well underway. Should be done in two weeks. Three tops.”

She says, “Isn’t Mr. Carter the person who personally requested you?”

I blush and say, “Yes, he is.”

She says, “Do you know him?”

I know I should brush it aside but I say, “We had met, yes. He is a friend of AJ McLean’s. I did Mr. McLean’s house when I first moved to LA.”

She says, “Ah, yes, I remember. You dated him, didn’t you?”

I blush and say, “Well, yes, but…”

She stops me and says, “Elaine, listen, you can date every client we have if you want. It’s not like we’re dealing in government secrets here. Just as long as you live up to the company standards and don’t undercharge anyone, your personal life is your business. But since you do know Mr. Carter, why don’t we go over his house and his fee?”

I knew this was coming and I was prepared. I pull out my file on Nick and we spend the next hour going over his choices and his fee. In the end, she says, “This looks fine. Great job. I’d like to see before and after pictures too. And find out if we can use him on our referral list, ok?” She turns away and I know I’ve been dismissed.

I go by Michelle’s desk and say, “Don’t worry. Things aren’t looking so grim. I’ll talk to you in a bit. Can you hold my calls for about 15 minutes? I need to call my sister.”

She smiles and says, “Sure. You got a delivery too. It’s on your desk.”

I walk into my office and there on my desk is a gorgeous arrangement of two dozen white roses. In the center of it, a single red one. Tears sting my eyes as I pick up the card. Four simple words to melt my heart. “All my love, Nick.”

Michelle steps over to the door and says, “Just so you know, EVERYONE wants to know who he is.”

I laugh and say, “Later, Michelle. Hold my calls.”

She laughs and leaves, closing the door. I pick up my phone and call Eva, smelling the roses as I do. When she answers, I say, “Eva, we need to talk. Do you have time?”

She says, “No, not really. We’re having a fabric meltdown. Meet me for lunch? Crab Shack at 1:00?”

I check my calendar and say, “Yeah, that’s fine. I can swing out by the Smith house to check on painting and meet you after.”

I go back to Jane’s office and knock. She invites me in and I say, “Jane, I don’t really need time to think. I want to do this. But I’ll need time to come up with the money.”

She says, “I figured as much. Pay us what you can in October, we’ll have the lawyers handle the rest of the arrangements.”

I laugh and say, “You knew I couldn’t say no, didn’t you?”

She hugs me and says, “Elaine, you’re like my daughter. This business is in your blood. It’s you. You should own it. You are the reason we are so successful.”

I blush and say, “Thank you. Is it ok if I take the afternoon? I’m having lunch with Eva. We’ve always talked about going into business together. She wants to branch out and this may be her chance.”

Laughing, Jane says, “Take the day. If we need you, we’ll call.”

I grab my roses and head out. For the first time since moving to LA, I honestly think I have figured out my life. I’m in love, I’m soon going to own my own business, and if I play my cards right, the sky’s the limit.

Chapter End Notes:

Here we go!  Hope you like!  Let us know!