- Text Size +

Chapter 70

The next 3 days were almost idyllic for Eva and I. The only thing that would have made them perfect would have been in the guys didn’t have to work. We spent our days shopping, watching movies, and talking. Real talks. The kind of talks we had been missing for years.

We also made some serious plans about the future of our business. I called John and Jane and everything was still on schedule. They had already had their lawyers draw up contracts for us to have our lawyers go over with us.

First of all…I don’t have a lawyer, so we’re using Eva’s. Another thing she had to take care of. Eva found us a location and had already made arrangements for us to buy it. As I listen to her and all the things she’s already done, I realize my part in this ‘ownership’ is going to be very limited.

When I bring up the money situation, she tells me to stop, that we’re equal partners 50/50 and nothing will change that. It’s Wednesday afternoon and we’re arguing yet again about the money. Finally, she says, “Elaine, stop it. Listen to me. I have the money. Let me do this.”

I say, “But Eva, what am I supposed to do?”

Eva says, “Well, now, I’ve been thinking. What if we branch out? You know, instead of just homes, what about you decorating office buildings, apartment complexes, stuff like that?”

I look at her and say, “Wow, I never thought of that.”

Eva says, “See, Sis, quit thinking we have to split all the costs down the middle and get your head in the game. I have the money, you have the talent and the brains to pull this off. Once the business is up and running and we’re rolling in clients and money, if you want to pay me back, you can. Not that I’ll take it, but you can try.”

I laugh and say, “I will pay you back Eva. One way or another. I’m going to keep track of this.”

She says, “Oh, you know how Dennis and Neal are going to design furniture for us exclusively?”

I say, “Yeah, what about it?”

She says, “Well, we worked out a verbal agreement and if you agree with it, the lawyers will write up the contract.”

I say, “OK, when did you do all of this?”

She says, “While you were in the hospital. I couldn’t sit at home and worry about you so I worked.”

I hug her and say, “Eva, I love you. I’m sorry you were so worried, but I can’t be sorry the wreck happened. It brought us back together. It brought Nick and I closer. And as much as that deal with the plane scared the crap out of us, it brought you and Brian together. Fate has a plan for us, we have to let it happen.”

She sniffs and says, “Would you PLEASE stop being so damn mushy?” When I laugh at her, she says, “OK, want to hear my deal with Dennis and Neal?”

I laugh and say, “OK, hit me with it.”

The rest of the afternoon is spent making plans, making calls, taking notes and making decisions. At 5:30, my phone rings. It’s Nick. He says, “Hey Beautiful, what are you up to?”

I say, “Eva and I are actually working on our business venture. Where are you guys?”

He says, “We just finished the last interview. We’ll be back at the hotel soon. I wanted to ask you…well, do you want to go out or stay in tonight?”

I say, “What time is your flight tomorrow?”

He says, “About an hour after you leave for LA, around 5:15. I’m going to go to the airport with you and just hang out in the lounge until my flight leaves.”

Knowing we have to say ‘goodbye’ again tomorrow is very depressing to me. I say, “Can we just stay here tonight? Maybe order room service and a movie?”

I hear the sadness in his voice when he says, “I was hoping you’d say that. We’ll be back soon. I love you Elaine.”

I say, “I love you too Nick. See you soon.”

When we hang up, Eva sits by me and puts her arm around me. She says, “You ok?”

I say, “Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just tomorrow’s gonna be so damn hard.”

She says, “I know Elaine, but it will be ok.”

I say, “The guys are on their way. Nick and I are hanging out here tonight, so if you want to go, I’ll be ok until he gets here.”

She says, “You’re not ok, are you Elaine?”

I sniff and say, “No, I’m sad. But I’ll survive. This is who Nick is. I have to accept it. Go, get ready for Brian. I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon.”

She says “Call me if you need me.”

I say, “I will.” She hugs me and leaves. I lay back on the bed and stare out the window. A single tear slips from my eye. I try to stifle the sob that’s forming in my chest, but it doesn’t work.

By the time I hear Nick coming in the door, the tears are all dried up, but I’m still sniffling. When he hears me, he comes to me and says, “Baby, what’s wrong? Are you in pain?”

I say, “No, I just can’t stop thinking about tomorrow. I’m going to miss you so much.”

Pulling me into his arms, he lays down beside me and holds me tight. He says, “Sweetheart, I know. I’m going to miss you too. But I promise, I’m going to be back to you as soon as I possibly can. I’ll find a way to cut this trip short, I promise.”

I sigh and say, “Nick, you can’t do that. You have work to do and I know it.”

He says, “Baby, I love you. I’ll be home to you soon and by then, you’re bones will be all healed up and I can make love you the way I want to.”

“All over your new house?” I ask him.

He chuckles and says, “Among other ways, yes. I love you Elaine.”

I tilt my head back and say, “I love you too Nick.”

His lips cover mine and I know we’re going to be ok. I just have to survive without him for a few weeks. That will be easier said than done.

Chapter End Notes:

let us know!  :)