- Text Size +

~ 38 ~

 

 

 

The End Game

 

 

 

 

 

Time: Late night into early morning after Nick’s death

 

Place: Matt’s

 

 

 

 

 

+ Howie +

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I was a kid, I used to enjoy sneaking into my parent’s room and sitting on their dresser like I was a cat. I know that sounds kind of weird, but I was small and their windows were high. They had a fantastic view of the ocean and I always missed out on it. The only way I could see it is if I sat on top of their huge dresser. So, I’d open the two bottom drawers and use them as a step ladder and up I’d climb. Once there, I would spend hours just looking out into the ocean until someone, usually my brother, would come in and force me to join everyone else.

 

 

 

The view out this window was drastically different but still, at the moment it held the same peaceful quality I so needed. It was snowing again and this time it didn’t appear that it would let up anytime soon. Everyone had attempted to go to bed but as usual here, no one really was sleeping.

 

 

 

After about an hour of trying to close my eyes and see anything but a dead Nick, I ventured out of the living room and into the kitchen, where I climbed onto the table and sat, draped by a nice comfy quilt and stared at the snow coming down. It was almost deceiving how quiet and peaceful it was.

 

 

 

“You can’t sleep either, huh?”

 

 

 

I shook my head at AJ as he made his way next to me. I knew I wouldn’t be alone for long. I’m pretty sure from now on we will always be sure to never leave each other alone and unprotected.

 

 

 

“I can’t believe he’s gone.”

 

 

 

I sighed, my way of saying ‘me too.’

 

 

 

“Tomorrow is going to be a big day if this works.”

 

 

 

I wanted him to stop talking and just sit there and stare at the snow like I was, but it was clear that he needed to ramble, so I let him.

 

 

 

“Do you think it’ll actually work?”

 

 

 

“I don’t know.”

 

 

 

A few hours ago, Matt and Charlie laid out there plan of getting us back to where we came from. We needed to find the exact spot of the tear and all go through at the same exact time. We couldn’t hesitate, not even for one second or there was a danger of the tear sealing up and the universe we were entering collapsing in on itself. I had so many questions and still do. How the hell would they know that first of all? This is all speculation on their parts. The whole scenario seemed so implausible that I would swear it was nothing but an elaborate practical joke.

 

 

 

“I mean he said if we did one thing wrong…”

 

 

 

“I know I heard what he said.”

 

 

 

“What do you think about that?”

 

 

 

I’m not sure what AJ wanted me to say. I used to be so good at guessing those types of things with all the guys. That’s why they always came to me for advice or when they needed reassuring. It’s a gift. I can read them all really well, especially him. Not now though, maybe not ever again.

 

 

 

I finally looked over at him, “I think it’s a crap shoot and we won’t know if we don’t try.”

 

 

 

He let out a small grunt that sounded like a half laugh, “That’s a pretty crappy crap shoot, don’t you think?”

 

 

 

“It’s gotta be better then being here though. I think I’m willing to take the risk of a universe falling in on itself then stay here one more minute.” And that was the truth. I was done here. I don’t care what happens on the way out, I need to exit.

 

 

 

“I don’t know, I just think that maybe it would be best if we stayed.”

 

 

 

I couldn’t believe what he was saying; after all we had been through. All the hell he had witnessed. Our baby brother was dead because of this place yet, he wanted to stay? That had to be the nerves talking.

 

 

 

I wanted to say all of that, but I didn’t. What was the point? I knew we were going to leave. I could tell by the look of determination on Kevin’s face. After Brian convinced him to not give up, a light went on and it was all operations a go. In fact he was in one of the other rooms just going over the plan again and again out loud, his eyes closed and his hands going as if he were conducting a symphony. It was creepy and I couldn’t stand to watch it anymore.

 

 

 

Even creepier was the fact that Brian was sleeping in the same room as the dead body of Nick. He said he knew Nick wouldn’t want to be left alone. He hated the dark so he decided to sleep on the floor next to him.

 

 

 

Lord help us all. If we didn’t leave, we’d all end up going insane.

 

 

 

“We could just stay here.”

 

 

 

“And do what? Live in hiding? Hope no one finds us and kills us?”

 

 

 

So much for staying quiet.

 

 

 

“I just can’t picture going back without him. What are we going to tell his family? What are we going to tell our fans?”

 

 

 

“I don’t know, AJ.”

 

 

 

The sound of the refrigerator door opening, made us both turn around. Charlie was standing there and staring before grabbing out some water and shutting the door. He walked over and looked out the window, “I really hate snow. That’s why I live in California. Amita was asked to teach at NYU but she turned it down because the thought of having to drudge through snow was unappealing to her.”

 

 

 

He sighed and then took a sip of his drink. I had forgotten all about Amita. He has just lost someone too. “How are you holding up?” He placed a hand on my shoulder and just for a second I saw his father. They were so similar in some ways and so different in others.

 

 

 

“As well as can be expected,” I finally answered when AJ said nothing.

 

 

 

“I’m thinking it’s a mistake to leave.”

 

 

 

Charlie moved to the window and put his back to us so we could see his face clearly with the help of nothing but the snowy, pink sky.

 

 

 

“You need to leave. To stay would be the mistake.”

 

 

 

“But if we leave there is a good chance we might not make it.”

 

 

 

Charlie sighed, “If you stay I can tell you that you definitely won’t make it.”

 

 

 

“That’s a pretty definitive answer. How could you know we wouldn’t live if we stayed?” I was tired of this guy making everything seem so definite.

 

 

 

But…

 

 

 

The way he paused and put down his drink, then slightly turned back to look at the snow actually gave me chills. He knew because they were going to make it so.

 

 

 

“What are you planning?”

 

 

 

AJ looked confused by my question as I turned my complete attention to the man by the window.

 

 

 

“The end game.”

 

 

 

“Which is what exactly?”

 

 

 

“You don’t need to know the details but, we’re about to start the beginning to what hopefully will be the end of this thing.”

 

 

 

“By doing what?”

 

 

 

“We’re sending them a message that they will read loud and clear.”

 

 

 

“And what will that be?”

 

 

 

Now AJ was slowly getting it.

 

 

 

“We’re going to use the weapons that Matt was commissioned to make for them, ON them.”

 

 

 

“You and what army?” I sounded so sarcastic; I wanted to apologize as the words came out of my mouth.

 

 

 

“No need for an army, just a few crazy men and a button or five. He’s been working on it for months now and it’s almost done. The entire city wired. All they need are some people to be situated around the different boroughs and then boom.” He opened his hand in a big gesture as he said boom.

 

 

 

“You’re blowing up New York City?”

 

 

 

“Not just the city but all five boroughs.”

 

 

 

“What about the people that…”

 

 

 

“They know. They all know. Anyone who wants to get out has by now. That’s why it’s so dead here.”

 

 

 

“And what about the prison?”

 

 

 

“They’ll probably be better off.”

 

 

 

It dawned on me just then that he was going to be one of the people to stay behind and hit a switch. A further realization hit me that they all were. “You can’t do that, its suicide!”

 

 

 

He laughed a real genuine laugh. “There is a bigger picture than me and my life.”

 

 

 

“What about the resistance?”

 

 

 

“They’ll still go on and probably be even stronger because of this.”

 

 

 

Charlie and his family wouldn’t even be in New York if it wasn’t for helping us. More people were dying because we happened to get on a plane and end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

 

 

 

“You can’t die for this.” AJ sounded distraught, “If you die, they win.”

 

 

 

“That’s not true AJ. If we don’t do anything, they win. They have been winning for too long now. All of their major operating sites are right here in New York. Once we do this we’ll be disconnecting them from their home and leaving their defenses down. This is the only way.”

 

 

 

“All of you? Even your dad?”

 

 

 

Charlie looked over at me and nodded, “We all know what’s at stake. We’ve all made peace with it. Matt said it was God’s will that you ended up here. Without you bringing us here, he didn’t have a way to go through with this plan.”

 

 

 

I couldn’t believe we were witnessing bravery to this extreme. Up until this point, I had only ever thought these people didn’t exist. They were made up so we had someone to look up to. I felt small for not offering myself. Jesus, when Nick was being captured by those soldiers I hid.

 

 

 

“So, that’s why you have to go. You’d be stuck here and you wouldn’t have time to leave.”

 

 

 

“When is this all going down?”

 

 

 

“The day after tomorrow.”

 

 

 

He knew that in two days he was no longer going to be alive and he seemed so incredibly calm about it. “It feels weird knowing this and still leaving you guys behind. Why don’t you just come with us?” I asked.

 

 

 

“We’re not meant for your world. It might cause a disruption and we can’t predict the outcome for something like that and besides, just like you all had doubles in this world, we would in yours.”

 

 

 

“How are we expected to just leave knowing you’re going to die? How do you think we could go on without blaming ourselves everyday?”

 

 

 

It was a good question and I was glad that AJ was the one who asked.

 

 

 

“By not letting happen in your world, what has happened here. Take our mistakes and learn from them.”

 

 

 

AJ and I exchanged a sad glance as Charlie moved away from the window and back towards the fridge. “I need to go help Matt out with some more equations. We need to make sure we have things down perfectly for you tomorrow. I suggest you both try to get some sleep.”

 

 

 

Right before he left the room I stopped him, “Charlie…” He turned to me and I smiled at him, “Thanks for everything.”

 

 

 

He nodded and left.

 

 

 

I stood staring at the empty entrance to the kitchen, still trying to digest everything I just heard when AJ brought me back, “Son of a bitch! I can’t believe that bastard is here.” He took off to the drawer and grabbed a butcher knife. “I’m going to go kill that no good mother fucker myself!”

 

 

 

“AJ, what are you talking about?” But all I had to do was look out the window and there was my answer staring up at me looking cold, scared and alone.

 

 

 

I ran after AJ as fast as I could down the steps and into the snowy night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you for those of you that took the time to vote in my poll. As of right now Kevin grabs the other Nick is winning by one vote. You still have until the end of this week to vote and also add your thoughts about the other question I posted in that thread. Thanks for reading!