- Text Size +

“AC?” Nick called out softly to his brother through the wooden door. He used a knuckle to tap on the door twice. When no response came he grasped the door knob and turned it. He let go of the handle and slowly pushed open the door.

“Aaron?” He softly called out seeing his brother lying on his stomach on the bed. As he approached he could see Aaron’s eyes were tear stained and his face looked as though he were in pain. Nick heart broke for him even more than it already was. He could only hope that what he came to say would ease his brother’s pain.

Gently he sat on the edge of the bed. He reached out and placed his hand on Aaron’s shoulder. “Aaron, wake up.” He said and patted him a little.

Aaron moaned some and his eyes blinked open a few times. “Nick?” He questioned groggy.

“Yeah, how ya hangin in there?” He asked.

Aaron rolled over a bit and sat up. All he could do was shake his head.

“Why don’t you get dressed and we’ll go somewhere and talk?” Nick smiled a bit.

“I can’t. I’m grounded… forever.” He mumbled.

“I’ve already spoken to mom and dad. Get dressed bub. I’ll be waiting for you in the kitchen.” Nick messed up his hair and left the room.

Aaron sighed deeply. He didn’t want to get up. He wanted to stay in bed and sulk. He knew Nick wanted to talk about this stupid mess he had gotten himself into and he just wasn’t up for it. He wasn’t ready to talk about it. In fact he wanted to forget all about it.

Slowly he forced himself out from the comfort of his bed. He pulled on the basketball shorts that laid on his floor from the day before. He then went to his closet and yanked a clean, oversized t-shirt down and slipped it on.

His eyes briefly caught himself in the small mirror that hung on the wall in his room. He looked like crap. He could only imagine how much worse he was gonna look sleep deprived due to a bratty kid screaming all night.

For a moment he felt a lump forming in back of his mouth and his bottom lip quiver. Quickly he shook his head; swallowed hard and bit down on his bottom lip. He shoved his feet into his athletic looking sandals and walked over to his bedroom door. Twisting the door handle he threw open the door not evening caring when it slammed into the wall.

“AC?” Nick questioned as he walked down the hall toward the kitchen.

“Can we please just get this over with?” He asked Nick as he brushed by his parents without even looking at them.

Nick gave his parents a concerned look and then quickly followed his younger brother out of the house.

“Yo Aaron?” Nick called looking around for him after stepping out of the front door.

“I’m right here.” He said rolling his eyes as he came into view.

“I was thinking we could walk over to the park. It’s just around the corner.” Nick told him.

Aaron simply replied with a “whatever”. Nick knew he had a lot on his mind and did not blame him for being in such a bad mood. He hoped he would be able to help him.

The two walked a crossed the lawn toward the street. Nick stopped to pick up a basketball in the front yard and then kept walking. He bounced the ball as they walked trying to figure out how to start the conversation.

“So, uh, how you been?” He finally asked.

“Dumb question.” Aaron grumbled.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Nick replied passing the ball through his legs.

“I talked to mom and dad a little.” He said as they turned the corner. The park was now in their view.

“You mean Robert and Jane?” Aaron’s voice was full of anger.

Nick sighed. He decided against scolding the younger blonde and kept on with their conversation. “They uh, they told me that she wasn’t going to keep the baby.”

The word ‘baby’ practically made Aaron cringe. “Did they also tell you what they told me?” He asked at they passed by the park sign and under the trees.

“Yeah, how do you feel about it all?” Nick shot the ball and watched as it swished through the hoop. It bounce over and hit Aaron gently in the chest. He never made any attempt to catch or go after the ball.

Nick sighed inwardly and went to chase after the ball. “Come on, sit.” Nick called taking a seat on a park bench.

Aaron slowly walked over and sat down. His legs split apart and his forearms resting on his thighs. “Nick, I hate all of this. I hate that girl. I hate mom and dad. I hate myself.” Aaron spoke softly but wouldn’t make eye contact with his brother.

“I don’t guess I understand. I mean, you hate the girl for getting pregnant. You hate mom and dad for telling you that you have to keep the baby but, why do you hate yourself?”

“For having sex. For getting off in her. For fucking up my entire life.” His voice elevated a little.

Nick nodded taking in what he had said. He rubbed a hand over his mouth as he looked at the few children playing on the playground. “So, you don’t want to keep the baby either?” Nick already knew the answer but he had to ask.

“Nick,” Aaron began with a slight shriek. He looked up at him making eye contact. “I’m only fourteen. I’m not ready to be a… ya know.” He paused to take a deep breath to try and keep the tears forming in his eyes from falling. “I can’t keep my career and this stupid kid. My music is my dream. This kid is…” Aaron searched for the right words. “… my mistake.”

The words seemed to hit Nick hard. So hard in fact he could almost feel them piercing his heart. It took him a moment before he could even speak. “So then, if you could give the baby up… you would?”

“Hell yeah. I can’t even take care of my own self half the time.” Again Aaron paused. He looked away from his brother and spoke, “It ain’t gonna happen though. Mom and dad want to keep family with family or some shit. Plus, mom was all like, ‘we aren’t going to stoop to their level of lowness.’ I mean…” He paused to run his hands wild and frustratedly through his hair. “It shouldn’t be up to them!”

Nick let the echo of Aaron last, loud statement fade before he very softly replied, “It’s up to you.” His eyes locked to the ground.

“It should be. You’re right.” Aaron complained.

“No Aaron, it is up to you. You have a choice.”

“What?” Aaron almost gasping turning to look at Nick.

Nick looked up and allowed his eyes to lock with Aaron’s, “You uh, you have a choice.” His voice was shaky and Aaron gave him a look that let him know he didn’t understand. “You can either keep the baby or uh, you can sign your rights over to, uh…” Nick had no idea why this suddenly was so hard. “…to me.”

“What?” He repeated. “You… you’ll… take the… but what about mom and dad?” Tears once again formed in Aaron’s eyes as the lump from earlier began to grow.

“I spoke to mom and dad. They’re willing to let you choose whether you want to parent the baby or not. If not I’m your only choice. “

“Oh my God, Nick, really? You’d take the baby?”

Nick could only nod as tears to formed in his eyes despite him trying to not allow it.

“But why? It isn’t you responsibility.”

“I want to see you succeed. I don’t wanna see you unhappy. I know you’re sorry for what you did and, I wanna bail you out. I love you Aaron.”

Tears now fell from Aaron’s eyes. This caused Nick to begin to cry also.

“I love you too Nicky. Thank you so much.” He threw his arms around Nick.

“Does that mean you’ll let me adopt the baby?” Nick asked stilling holding Aaron in a hug.

“Yes. How am I ever gonna repay you?”

Nick pulled away but stayed close and looked his brother square in the eye. “You’ll repay me by finishing school with good grades. You’ll continue on in your career and get a hundred times even more successful then you are now and you’ll promise me that you won’t have sex again until you’re atleast eighteen.”

Aaron nodded. “I promise. Thank you.”