- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sept. 8th 1997

Sept. 8th 1997

“I just want to thank you both again for letting me be here.” Nick softly said standing near the hospital bed.

“Of course Nick. You’ll be the father, you deserve to be here.” The young girl’s mother said. Just then they all heard a knock on the door and a nurse entered the room.

“How you doing Kailyn?” She asked nearing the bed.

“Terrible, can’t I get this baby out of me yet?” She almost cried as Nick stepped back.

“That’s what I’m here to find out.” She gave her a warm smile.

In the dimly lit corner of the room sat a young boy watching everything unfold. He’d rather be out in the waiting room. No, scratch that. He’d rather be at home or off somewhere singing on a stage in front of tons of cute girls. Instead he was forced to sit and watch this girl he didn’t even really know go through labor.

As the nurse finished checking Kailyn’s cervix she announced to the room that Kailyn was finally ready to push. Kailyn was thrilled that all of this was almost over but Aaron was terrified. He knew from talks with his mother that the pushing part was the worst.

Not much later a team of nurses and a doctor gathered in the room. Kailyn’s mother stood by her right side helping hold one of her legs while Nick stood a few feet back watching in awe. Aaron however sat in his corner with horror spread a crossed his face as he watched the birth of… his child.

“That a girl Kail. The head is out. A few more pushes and this will all be over.” The doctor coached.

“Ah!” She screamed bearing down again. It was all young Aaron could do not to puke as the tiny, blood covered infant immerged. At this moment he knew keeping his promise to Nick to not have sex until he turned eighteen would be no problem for him.

“That’s it! Push Kail!” Her mom encouraged.

“One more time.” The doctor informed.

With one final push the newborn was completely free from the home it had known for the last nine month. “It’s a girl. Do you want her on your stomach?” The doctor asked over the baby’s crying as she suctioned out its nose and mouth.

“No, I don’t wanna see it.” Kail almost yelled squeezing her eyes shut.

Nick couldn’t help but let the tears that had formed in his eyes fall. Unlike the young girl and her mother however his tears were tears of joy. He had a girl; a daughter.

Aaron simply felt like he was going to puke.

“Anyone want to cut the cord?” The doctor asked.

“Nick, you do it.” Kailyn’s mom said unable to look at the child.

Nick used the bottom of his shirt to quickly wipe his eyes as he stepped forward and took the scissors in his hand.

“Get it out of here, please.” Kailyn cried a few moments later as the doctor passed the infant off to the nurse.

“Alright honey, stay strong, we’ll move her as soon as we can.” The nurse informed as the doctor worked to deliver the placenta. Aaron was now positive he never wanted to have sex ever again, at least not with any girls who could have kids.

A short while later the nurse was ready to move the baby out of the room. The nurse instructed Nick to follow and he in turn instructed Aaron to do the same. Once in the hall she explained that they were going to take the baby to get washed up. She told the boys that only one person could go with them and Aaron of instantly threw up his hands and told Nick he had no desire to stay with ‘the kid’.

Nick then followed the nurses and the baby off toward the nursery while Aaron made his way to waiting room. Upon entering the room he was instantly bombarded by questions. Aaron however had too much on his mind and too much of a sick feeling in his stomach to respond.

“Aaron, I know your brain in processing a lot right now but you could at least tell us if everything alright.” Jane seemed to demand.

“I think she’s fine. They said they was gonna clean her up. Nick went with her.” He softly replied but refused to make eye contact.

“She? It’s a girl?” Jane asked smiling.

Aaron only nodded as everyone began to celebrate. Nick’s best friend and band mate soon took a seat by Aaron. He placed a hang gently on his shoulder and said, “Congratulations Aaron.” Aaron shook his head ‘no’ and quickly stood up and moved away from the group of people.

He tried to make his mind stop replaying the image of the birth. The more he thought about it the sicker he grew. He wished his parents and Nick wouldn’t have made him be in the room.

He tried impossibly to sort all the new emotions as feelings and thoughts he was experiencing out in his head as he waited to see what was going to happen next.

A short while a nurse came in and told Aaron they were finished with the baby and Nick was requesting to see Aaron. Aaron did not want to go but of course Bob and Jane forced Aaron. Aaron silently followed her to the newborn nursery. As he entered he saw Nick sitting in a rocking chair holding a small baby who was wrapped in a white blanket and wearing a pink hat. He stopped a few feet away.

“Come here Aaron.” Nick softly encouraged.

Awkwardly he obeyed. He looked down at the child in Nick’s arms. It was obvious she was Carter.

“Wanna hold her?” Nick asked looking up at him.

“N- No. No way.” Aaron shook his head.

“Yeah, you need to. You need to make sure you wanna go through with this.” Nick said standing carefully.

“No, Nick please.” Aaron begged trying to cry.

“Yes, sit.” Nick instructed. He then watched as Aaron forced back more tears and sat down. Slowly Nick laid the baby in Aaron’s arms. He bent down to better assist Aaron who looked very uncomfortable. “Support her head. Yeah, like that.” Nick encouraged.

“Ok, yeah, I’m sure. Take her back now Nick. Please.” Aaron begged looking away from the baby.

“Relax Aaron.” Nick calmly said. “Like it or not Aaron. This is biologically your child and she always will be. Are you completely sure that you’re fine with not being her parent?”

Aaron nodded wanting desperately to wipe his moist eyes but being to fearful of dropping the baby to move. “Nicky, please just take her. I don’t wanna hold her. I don’t wanna be her parent. I don’t even want her to know I’m her real dad.”

Nick lifted the baby sleeping baby slowly from his arms and Aaron stood to let his brother sit. “You’re sure? You just want her to grow up thinking that I’m her real dad?”

Aaron nodded.

“Alright but I want you to help pick her first name.” Nick agreed.

“Nick…” Aaron began backing away.

“Aaron, please, give her something from you. Don’t be totally heartless.” Nick almost scolded him.

Aaron sighed, “Fine, A-S-H-L-E-I-G-H.”

“Ashleigh?” Nick questioned as a woman in a dress suit entered the room.

Aaron nodded and looked toward to woman who began to speak. “Aaron, I’m your caseworker. Kailyn finished her part of the paperwork. If you’re ready we can get you started on yours.” Aaron nodded, looked to Nick then left.