- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sept. 9th 2000

Sept. 9th 2000

“Ashleigh!” Nick yelled up the stairs to his daughter.

Quickly a small blonde child ran out of the play room and down the hall toward the stairs.

As Nick saw her he informed her, “Uncle Brian and Aunt Leighanne are here.”

“Yeah!” She cheered and began her descent down the stairs.

“Slow down.” Nick almost laughed.

When she reached the bottom she ran past him toward the front door and began trying to open in. When the doorbell rang and she couldn’t get the door open she shouted, “Daddy help!”

“Say please.” He told her.

“Please.” She smiled.

Nick reached for the door and opened it. As Brian and Leighanne came into view she cheered and jumped up and down excitedly.

“Ashleigh!” Brian gave her a big cheesy grin as he bent down and opened his arms to her.

“Untle Brian!” She squealed jumping into his arms.

He hugged her tightly and lifted her into the air as he stood.

Leighanne smiled at her new husband. They had only been married six days now.

“Thank you guys for cutting the honey moon short to be here.” Nick said moving aside to let them.

“I couldn’t miss my god-daughter’s 2cd birthday.” Brian winked at Nick.

“Hey! I’m tree!” Ashleigh complained. She left one arm around Brian’s neck but the other was placed on her tiny hip.

“Three?” He dramatically asked.

“Yes, I’m tree now. Right daddy?” She turned to him.

“Yep.” He smiled.

“Well goodness sake now I feel old.” Brian told the tiny girl in his Donald duck voice.

She laughed and he hugged her again then put her on the floor.

“She’s adorable Nicky. We wouldn’t miss her birthday for anything.” Leighanne told Nick and gave him a slight hug.

“Thanks.” He nodded.

“Aunt Wee-anne, did you pick out my birthday present or did Untle Brian?” Ashleigh asked looking up at her.

“I did.” She replied with a warm smile.

“O-tay good. You’s a better shopper then he is.”

Leighanne could not help but laugh. She had not had the honor of knowing the small child long but her heart had already been won over by her.

Not long longer Nick found himself surrounded by all his friends and most of his family.

Ashleigh sat on the lap of Nick’s father telling him some kind of story while his band mates, two sisters and Leighanne along with Kevin’s wife Kristen stood chatting. The house was covered in purple and yellow balloons and streamers. The kitchen counter help a large birthday cake shaped like a purple sparkly castle complete with yellow flags. Presents were piled on a coffee table and random music played softly on a stereo.

As the doorbell rang again Nick informed everyone, “That should be mom and the twins.” With that he moved toward the front door. As he opened it however he only saw his mom and Angel.

Forcing a smile he hugged Angel then his mom as his baby sister walked away. “Where is he?”

“On his way.” She assured him.

“He better be. He missed both her other birthdays. She’s old enough now she’ll notice.” Nick replied.

“I know son. The whole thing still makes him uncomfortable though.” With that she walked away.

Nick was about to close the front door as he saw Aaron’s red mustang pull in. He stepped outside and closed the door as he heard his daughter’s voice cheering over his mom and sister’s arrival.

“Hey bub.” Nick casually called out to him.

“Nick.” He replied just as casually not walking toward him.

“I was afraid you weren’t gonna come again.” Nick said.

“I thought about it.” Aaron never made eye contact.

“Well, I’m glad you’re here. Ashleigh will be too.”

Aaron uncomfortably nodded and looked back at his car. He didn’t want to be here.

“Just stay Aaron. She doesn’t know or understand why you don’t wanna be around her. This morning she asked specifically about you. If you were coming. When I said yes and asked why she wanted to know she told me cause you didn’t like her very much.”

“I don’t like her Nick. She shouldn’t even be here.” Aaron rolled his eyes.

“Aaron…” Nick began but cut him off.

“Don’t Nick! I’m here. Now leave me alone so I can get this over with.” He huffed and pushed past him toward the house.

Nick took a slow deep breath and followed him. He wasn’t trying to cause drama. He just wanted his little girl to have a good birthday. He knew deep down she hurt from Aaron’s not liking her. He just hoped at least for today Aaron would fake it so she could be happy.

As he entered the house and walked into the living room he watched his daughter leave the arms of Angel and walk slowly toward Aaron.

“You came.” He heard her almost whisper with a big smile.

“Yeah, I did.” He said. He then patted her head and moved past her toward his dad.

“I proud of you.” Bob softly told him.

Aaron just nodded.

“Ashleigh, baby, why don’t you invite everyone into the kitchen to eat. When everyone is done we can do your presents.” Nick wanted to get the party moving. He could see everyone’s eyes looking awkwardly at Aaron. No doubt they were all surprised by him being there.

“Hurry everyone! We gotta eat fast so I can open presents!” Ashleigh seemed to scream and grabbed Nick’s hand. Quickly she pulled him off toward the kitchen as everyone laughed.

When everyone was done eating they all made their way into the living room. Nick made Ashleigh wash up then they too joined everyone.

“Presents now right daddy?” She asked.

“Yes, sit over there so everyone can see you.” He told her.

She did as he instructed. Brian helped him moved the table toward her. Nick then got his camera and Brian helped her begin opening gifts.

As he gave her the first one she tore into the card envelope. She didn’t even try to read it though. She looked for money and gave it Brian when nothing was found.

Many of the adults laughed a bit as Brian read, “Happy Birthday to a girl who’s three. Maybe today be as happy as happy can be. Love you lots, Uncle Howie.”

As Brian finished reading she ripped the pink and purple flowered paper apart. “Daddy look!” She cheered. “It’s the pink doctor kit I wanted!” She held it up and he snapped a photo. “Thank you Untle Howie.” She smiled.

“You’re welcome sweetie.” He replied.

“Next.” She told Brian putting the gift in the lap of Angel who sat on the couch beside her.

“This one doesn’t have a card so that must mean it’s from Uncle AJ.” Brian said giving her another one.

“What? She can’t read so I didn’t get her one.” He explained as Howie and a few others looked at him teasingly judgmental.

“I can read my name.” Ashleigh informed her then tore open the pink paper. She struggled to open the plain white box but couldn’t due to a piece of tape.

Angel helped her remove it then let her open the box. She didn’t say anything but a smiled smeared over her face.

“What is it baby?” Nick asked.

Ashleigh then pulled a small, purple leather jacket from the box.

“You’re kidding right?” Brian asked him.

“Where did you find that?” Kevin added.

Nick snapped a picture of her with it then turned to AJ, “A purple leather jacket?”

“What, a girl’s gotta look good.”

“I love it!” Ashleigh grinned. “Thank you Untle AJ!”

“See, she loved it. You’re welcome Ash.” AJ proudly smiled.

The next gift was from Kevin and Kristen. They got her a talking baby doll that she flipped over. Next was Bob and Jane’s gift. They got her some clothes and money. Ashleigh really only cared about the money. After that was BJ’s. She got her a purple shiny wallet and had to point out the money inside which sold Ashleigh on gift. Leslie’s was next. Leslie also got her a baby doll. Ashleigh excitedly informed everyone that now she could play baby doll twins. Brian and Leighanne’s was after that. Ashleigh was thrilled to see they had gotten her a purple and yellow purse filled with fifty dollars all in ones. She told them both thanks for making her rich. Second to last was Angel’s. Her gift was a certificate to go with Angel to get her finger and toe nails painted any color she wanted.

Last but not least it was time for Nick’s gift. “Aaron, wanna help me?” Nick called to the blond teen who had been quietly standing in the corner.

He rolled his eyes but agreed to help.

Together they got her gift from the closet and brought it into the living room.

When Ashleigh saw it she screamed and then jumped off the couch. “Daddy, it’s the toy kitchen I wanted! The one with the baby high chair!” She yelled and hugged him.

“I know!” Nick hugged her back.

They adults let her play with the gifts for a while then closed the party with her cake. They sang to her and she blew out the candles.

“Make sure everyone got a piece.” Nick told his daughter a few moments later.

“O-tay.” She said and ran around the kitchen checking everyone for a plate with birthday cake. That’s when she spotted Aaron without one.

“Untle A-won?” She asked him as he sat in the far corner.

“What?” He asked her.

“Did you want birthday cake?” She asked him happily.

“Nah.” He told her.

“O-tay.” She nodded and skipped away.

The party finished with Ashleigh and Nick thanking everyone for coming. As Aaron left Ashleigh hugged his legged. He looked at her uncomfortably. Nick told him he was sorry. Aaron nodded and left. Brian and Leighanne then helped clean up and said their good byes too.

The day had gone great. Ashleigh couldn’t have been happier with how it all went and for that Nick was grateful. He loved her and only wanted joy and happiness for her.