- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

November 10th 2003

November 10th 2003

“Hello?” Aaron answered his cell.

“Aaron, it’s Nick.”

“I know.” He rolled his eyes and sighed a little.

“I need a huge favor.” Nick sounded really desperate.

Aaron took a deep breath. He could only imagine what Nick needed from him. “What?” He asked.

“I’m at the studio with the guys. They just gave me a message that Ashleigh’s school called. Said I need to come get her.” Nick held his breath.

“So go get her.” He huffed in response.

“Aaron, I’m at the studio. You know I can’t leave unless it’s a big emergency and her school made it clear that it wasn’t an emergency. She just needs me.” Nick explained. He knew he was asking a lot.

“Can’t Brian get her? He’s her god-father. Oh or Leighanne, didn’t you ask her to be the official god-mother at her birthday party?” Aaron clearly did not wanna help.

“Brian is here too and Leighanne is with Baylee who is sick. God AC please! I’ve never once asked you to help me with her before.” Nick begged. His huge avoidance of her was getting old. He was 21 now for crying out loud.

“Fine Nicky but you owe me!” Aaron then hung up on him.

Nick was grateful but still worried. If she was upset and wanting him badly enough that the school needed to call him it could be a bit overly stressful for Aaron. If Aaron was stressed he could turn mean… well, meaner than normal.

Aaron quickly got out of the sweats pants he had been lounging around his apartment in. He was in the middle of a big break from music. He pulled on some jeans and a casual polo and headed off toward Ashleigh’s school.

When he arrived he parked his car and entered the school. It took him a while to locate the office. It was a pretty big campus for elementary school.

When he found the office he entered and went up to the desk.

“Can I help you?” The woman asked him.

Aaron rolled his eyes. Wasn’t it obvious? “I’m here for Ashleigh Carter.”

“Oh of course.”

Again Aaron’s eyes rolled.

“She is in Ms. Amberly’s class. Take this hall all the way down and turn left. The name will be on the door.” The lady told him.

With that Aaron walked away.

Once he found the room he took a rather deep breath and went in.

Instantly he heard Ashleigh crying. He looked around the room and spotted her on the floor in the back corner of the room. Her face was in her hands and she was sobbing uncontrollably.

Suddenly he felt something he never had before. Heart ache. His heart never once had ached for her before.

“I take it Nick couldn’t get away from work?” Her teacher asked him.

“No, I’m her uncle.” He told her pointed toward Ashleigh.

Ms. Amberly smiled, “I kinda know.”

Aaron smiled back.

“She had an accident and has been crying ever since.” She then explained.

“An accident?” Aaron asked confused.

“Oh uh, she didn’t exactly make it to the bathroom in time. We had a pair of jeans in the office we put her in but had to tie them up cause they were too big. That seemed to make things worse.”

Aaron nodded. This strange piece of him was having trouble hearing her cry. He slowly walked over to her. “Ashleigh?” He softly questioned.

She sniffled and looked up at him looking totally shocked by his being there. “Uncle Aaron?” She questioned with tears filling her eyes.

He bent down to her still feeling the strange ache, “You’re daddy couldn’t get away from the studio. Brian couldn’t either so I came to get you.” He explained.

Suddenly Ashleigh fell forward bursting into tears again.

Aaron looked terrified as she fell against his chest. He had no idea what to do. Honestly his first reaction was to push her away but he knew he couldn’t. “Uh, why don’t we get outta here?” He asked her.

“Please.” She nodded and sobbed.

“Gotta get up then.” He told her.

She nodded and stood slowly. The jeans looked terrible on her. Aaron couldn’t blame her for hating them.

He then stood and collected her wet things that had been put in a bag.

“Are you gonna take me home?” She asked as they walked down the hall. More tears rolled down her face.

“Yeah.” He replied.

They walked outside and he helped her into his car.

On the way home she softly cried still.

Aaron couldn’t take much more. “Ashleigh, why are you crying?”

“Cause accidents are bad.” She told him.

“What do you mean?” He asked as they drove.

“Only babies pee their pants. I’m posta be a big girl.” She cried.

Aaron nodded understanding.

“Daddy will be really mad.” She added.

Suddenly Aaron understood the tears. She was afraid of Nick’s reaction. Strangely enough, he felt bad for her. He wasn’t sure why but he did.

He sighed inwardly as they pulled in Nick’s drive.

“How are you so sure daddy will be mad at you?” Aaron asked as they walked into the house.

“Cause he got mad last time. He said he wasn’t but I know he was.” She told him sniffling.

“Well tell you want. Let’s not tell him.”

She looked at him in shock. “Really?”

“Yeah, but only if it means you’ll stop crying.” That was the main reason he agreed to it. The crying was affecting him and he did not like it one bit.

“Deal. Can I change out of these now?” She pointed to the pants.

“Yeah, I’ll hurry and wash these. You can put em back on before your daddy comes home so he won’t know. We’ll tell him someone called you a bad word and that’s why school called.”

Ashleigh nodded and took off to her room.

Not long later Aaron found himself sitting on Nick’s couch watching tv. Ashleigh was back in her clothes from school that where now clean. She had asked if she could watch tv with Aaron but he told her she’d be better off playing up stairs.

He’d had more than his fill of her. He just wanted to get away from her. She made him feel things that he didn’t like and she cause him to remember times in his life that he’d rather forget.

Soon Aaron heard his brother coming in the house. “Thank God.” He said.

“Aaron?” Nick questioned coming through the house.

“Yep, I’m here. She’s up there and now I’m leaving.” Aaron stood.

“Wait, what happened? Why did they call?” Nick asked him while holding up his hands to block the exit.

“Some kid called her an ugly poop head. Teach said she started crying for you and they couldn’t calm her down.” Aaron lied as he told Ashleigh he would.

Nick ran a hand over his mouth. He felt terrible for his daughter. At times she really could be a little too sensitive.

“Daddy!” They both heard her shout before either could say another word.

“Ashleigh, sweetie, I’m so sorry I couldn’t come get you.” Nick told her pulling her into his arms.

“It’s ok daddy. Uncle Aaron said that Danny was wrong and I’m a cute and smart girl.” Ashleigh had heard what Aaron said before making her presence known. She followed along with the story but had no idea what kinda words she was putting into Aaron’s mouth.

“He did?” Nick’s voice was full of disbelief as his eyes traveled to Aaron.

“Yep.” She grinned.

“Uh… wow. Yeah…” Nick was a bit taken back. “Well uh, he’s right. Don’t listen to people like that.”

She nodded and Nick stood still holding her hand. He looked at Aaron who was now desperate to leave and get away from the young girl.

“Thanks for your help Aaron.” Nick told him.

“Whatever.” He shook his head and pushed past him.

He quickly walked out of the house and toward his car but before he could get in Ashleigh ran from the house toward him.

“Uncle Aaron!” She called running up to him.

Nick stood in the door way and watch confused. He couldn’t hear anything but he could see them clearly.

“What?” Aaron rolled his eyes as he paused. His door was open but he just stood by the car.

“Thank you for not telling him what really happened.” She smiled and began to move closer with her arms open wide.

“Don’t!” He almost yelled holding his hands up to keep her away.

She suddenly looked scared.

Nick took a few steps toward them as Aaron quickly got in his car.

Tears filled her eyes in confusion as he quickly started the car and speed away.

Nick ran to her and pulled her into his arms. “It’s ok baby. Uncle Aaron has some issues. He didn’t mean to upset you.”