- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Aug. 19th 2010

 

Aug. 19th 2010

Uncomfortably Nick rolled around in his bed. His mind played over the phone call he had gotten a few days before.

“I’m ready to sing again.”

“That’s great Aaron. I’m proud of you.” Nick had told him.

He tossed again as he laid thinking more about the call.

“I need your help though Nick. I spent all my money making this damn album so I can’t afford a hotel while I’m in LA for this show.”

Nick was taken back, “You wanna stay here, like, here in my house with… her.”

His heart began to beat a little faster as the even played out more.

“Yeah, You won’t really even know I’m there. I got promo to do with Doug during the day. I’ll get their Thursday morning, my show is Friday night and I’ll leave Saturday around noon.”

Nick had to put a lot of thought into this, “Fine, you can stay but absolutely no funny shit. You don’t hurt her.”

Nick could hear Aaron’s voice ringing as he replied ‘Promise’ over and over in his head. He could only hope Aaron would stick tight to his word.

Meanwhile Aaron was down the hall in the guest room. He had only just gotten to Nick’s. His day had been booked with meeting fans and promoting his show on radio stations.

Nick was already in bed as was Ashleigh so he used the spare key Nick his for him to get in.

He had taken his things straight up to his guest room but now he was starving as he finished changing into his sweat pants for bed.

He found his way quietly to the kitchen and stole himself a few left overs. As he made his way back up the guest room he passed by Ashleigh’s room. He could hear her now crying versus before the lights were on but all was silent.

His heart caught in his chest. After setting his food down in the room he walked back to hers to listen through the door to see is she was ok.

As he stood listening he realized her cries sounded full of heartbreak. He felt a need to comfort her but didn’t know how and also assumed it wasn’t his place.

He turned sadly to go back to his room but as he did her door opened.

She jumped back surprised to see him standing there. She had known he was coming but not that he’d be outside her door.

“Uncle Aaron?” She questioned trying to wipe her face in hopes of hiding her tears.

“Ashleigh?” He too questioned.

She tried to stand strong  but buckled quickly. Tears filled her eyes as she double over slowly sinking to the floor.

“Ashleigh, are you ok?” He questioned suddenly worried.

“He broke up with me.” She sobbed.

“He?” Aaron emphasized and then continued, “Broke up?”

“My boyfriend. He dumped me for some other girl.” She cried.

Instantly Aaron bent down to her, “I didn’t even know you were allowed to date.”

“I’m not. No one knew he and I are… were…” She burst into tears again.

“Ash… it’s ok. He isn’t worth your tears. There are other guys out their… better ones.” He tried to comfort.

“He was the best. It’s me who wasn’t good enough. This other girl has to be better.” She sobbed.

“No, no one could be better then you. This boy can’t be the best to let the prettiest girl I know go.” Aaron’s voice was warm and soothing.

“You’re just saying that cause you’re my uncle.” She rolled her eyes as she tried to stop crying. She wiped her face on the sleeve of her shirt.

“Me… say something nice… just cause I’m your uncle?” It sounded dumb to Aaron. He had never been a part of her life. She had never really known him. “When have I ever said anything nice about you?”

It sounded harsh but it was true.

“You’re right. So why are you saying something now?” She had to know.

“Cause it’s time for me to be a man.” He simply said.

She looked confused.

“Ashleigh, has your dad ever told you how you got your name?”

She shook her head not understand why he was on the subject when she was devastated about her now ex-boyfriend.

“You got it from me. In the hospital, not long after your mom had you, Nick, uh your dad, asked me to name you.” He said.

“I don’t understand. You’ve hated me my whole life, I get dumped for the first time and suddenly you’re nice. I ask why and you say cause you gotta be a man and go on to tell me that you named me.” She was lost.

He smiled and wrapped an arm around her as they leaned against her purple wall. “Ashleigh, I’ve known you from the moment you were born. You’ve always been perfect. I was just too immature to step up and be who I needed to be in your life. My hating you was never your fault. You never did anything wrong and you didn’t do anything wrong now with this boy.” He tried to sum up his thoughts.

She nodded softly.

He wasn’t gonna lie and say he never hated her. He had. He had hated her very much in fact.

“So see, I was immature and stupid so I know firsthand what immature and stupid looks like. I think that qualifies me to say this boy who you are so upset over is nothing but immature and stupid. You on the other hand are perfect.”

She smiled. She liked this Aaron. He was nice.

“That’s what I wanna see. That smile is famous. Don’t ever lose it to tears.” He rubbed her arm a little.

She nodded, “Thank you Uncle Aaron.”

“You’re welcome Ashleigh. Now go to bed. It’s late.”

She stood slowly and laid in bed as he moved to shut of her light. Before he did though she stopped him.

“Aaron?”

“Yeah?”

“Could you…” She played with her bed sheets as she paused. “Not tell dad I had a boyfriend. He already made it clear I can’t date till I’m sixteen so I’ll get in big trouble if you tell on me.” She hoped his new found nice guy act would cover this too.

“I’ll make you a deal. Don’t tell your dad I was nice or what I told you and I won’t tell him about that lame guy who was stupid and let you go.”

She didn’t understand but she agreed, “Deal.”