- Text Size +
Tick. Tick. Tick.

This particular day was not coming out the way I had planned it. As I sat in the car waiting for my partner in crime to come out so we could speed away. I loved working with Jorge he was very good at his job and he never got recognized. All he had to do was make this look like a robbery and kill the owner of the bowling alley in the process.

Piece of cake for just ten grand, but as I looked around something didn’t seem feel right. That’s when I saw Jorge running out in his stupid mariachi outfit. He was already taking everything off and tossing it on the alley he startled me a little as he sat beside me. “GO!” he yelled and I pushed the gas and off we went.

“Did you get him?” I asked as I we left the scene. We made to the warehouse where we changed transportation.

“Yeah. I also got this.” He said as he counted the cash in his hands. “Eh, a few hundred bucks. Dinner on me.” He smiled and I blushed. Jorge made me blush quite often but I would never admit to him that I thought he was hot. No him and I could never be more than what we were accomplices.

“No dinner for me today, I have a date.” I told him as I got my helmet and put on my leather jacket. “I’ll call you tomorrow so you can pick up your share.” I yelled at him as I cranked my motorcycle and roared out of the warehouse we used to hide some of our cars and weapons.

So I had lied I didn’t have date per say but I had a lot planned for me. Besides I still had my adrenaline pumping from earlier and for some reason I decided to go back to the bowling alley. It was something I never did till that day.

But I didn’t get a chance to get near when a cop stopped me. “Sorry Miss, but the bowling alley is closed today.” I removed my helmet and looked concerned.

“What happened officer?” I asked as I tried to get a glimpse past him.

“I can’t disclose that miss, just go home.” I nodded and I began to put my helmet back on when an older man in a Lexus tried to get through, only to be stopped just like me.

“I have to get in there that was my nephew! The one that got shot,” the man said in verge of tears.

I felt my stomach tighten as I heard that. Now I knew why I had been so uneasy earlier today. We had gotten the wrong person…

******

“Hey Kar,” Will the security guard to Two Palms night club greeted me as I handed him my helmet.

“Take care of my baby for a sec, Will.” I told him as I walked right in without hesitation. I walked right through the crowd of dancing people and up the VIP to the office where I knew my boss was in.

I didn’t bothered to knock, “We failed.” I said startling the girl in there with him. Joey pushed the girl off his lap and glared at me.

He snapped his fingers as he looked at the slut that now tried to fix her dress. “Get out now.” She glared at me as she walked out.

“Jorge got the wrong person. The guys nephew.” I said punching one of the plush chairs he had in his office.

“Fuck Kar, I give a fucking easy job and you still fuck it up!” he said lighting a smoke.

“It wasn’t me.” I said with clenched teeth. “I can fix it just give me time.”

Joey sneered as he exhaled smoke, “Two weeks Kar,” he said as he stood up. “Your family but you know how this business works. I am going to have the guy you wanted this job done up my ass.”

“Three give me three, I have a plan.” I told him staring at him in the eyes. Joey was not as tough as he pretended to be, I was raised with him and his two sisters.

“FINE.” He said grabbing my face with his thumb and pointer in a painful way. “Don’t disappoint me Kar,” he pushed me and I stood my ground. “Get out.”

“What about Jorge?” I asked knowing Jorge was going to get it.

“I’ll take care of him, three weeks Kar.” He said flatly as he walked out of his office and into the loud club.

I hated my choice of career but sometimes you’re in to deep to be able to get out…

*********

I didn’t go to my house instead I was outside Jorge’s condo. I had been described as a cold hearted bitch with futile hatred for men but I sort of had a soft spot for Jorge. I grabbed my cell phone and dialed the familiar number.

“I thought you said you would call me tomorrow.” He said as he answered he was tipsy I could tell by the way his voice sounded.

“Jorge we fucked you have to get out here… leave go away. Joey is after you.”

“What wait I shot the owner the person in charge!” he said into the phone.

“Yes the owner’s nephew! Look Jorge listen to me… get the hell out of Miami. I don’t do this to anyone but I am warning you for your sake… Joey is going to get you if you don’t disappear.” I hung up and drove off into the night.

I just hoped Jorge would listen to me. Joey was not one to forgive easily I was the exception because I was family his favorite cousin. Ha. Yeah right I was his only cousin.

Family. Technically I was the orphaned niece that uncle Chuy took in after my mother and father died in a house fire. I had survived because I was out to the movies with my best friend. I was only ten when this happened and I still have the picture of what was left of the house that fateful night etched inside of me.

My dad had never gotten along with uncle Chuy but that had not kept him from taking me in. He told me he never hated my dad and that he felt that he should care for me because I reminded him of my dad Robby.

Little did I know just what uncle Chuy was capable of till I turned fifteen. He had this big Quinceniera for me and I only felt more respect for him. Till that night that I found out the truth of what they were. I had no choice but join I felt like I owed to him and so my training began.

********

I looked good in the turquoise scrubs I had managed to get a hold of as I walked the halls of Miami Dade Hospital. I would have been a great nurse had I pursued it. I stopped in my tracks when I got to the ICU.

“May I help you?” a short fair hair Doctor with tired eyes asked me.

“Well yeah actually one of my friends is here in the ICU and I thought maybe I could see him.” I gave him my innocent smile.

“Do you work here?” he asked me with a smile as he tried to recognize me.

“NO I uhm, actually work in another hospital but I was told he was brought here. I won’t be long please?”

“Well technically there is no visitors allowed after six.” He looked as his watch and back at me.

“Please, I’m a nurse I know what to do incase anything. All I want is to see him… before I have to go work my shift, double shift.”
“Ok fine but if you get caught I didn’t know you were in there. So what’s your friend’s name.?” he asked me finally I had realized he was not from here he had a southern accent.

“Alexander… he got shot at his job today.” I said trying to look as sad and worried as possible.

“Oh that guy… yeah he is so lucky the bullet missed his heart.” He told me as I followed him.

“Thanks,” I said as he pointed me toward the room where the man Jorge had shot earlier today was laying all wired up.

“Listen please make it quick ok…” he told me as he watched me walk in. “I’m sorry I didn’t get your name?”

“Karina.” I said giving him a smile and extending my hand.

“Karina, he will be fine I have a feeling he will pull out just fine. I’m Brian Littrell...” I nodded and pointed to his badge. “Oh right I forgot I had this.”

He didn’t take more of my time and walked away. I was alone with this guy and felt guilty he was young. “I’m sorry.” I whispered as I watched his chest rise with the help of the oxygen machine.

I sat down and stared as the beeping from the machines lulled me into a dream. I must have stayed longer than I had intended to because I opened my eyes to find his brown ones staring at me with worry and concern. He couldn’t speak with the tube in his mouth.

“I’m sorry,” I said quickly standing up. “Listen I’m going to get help your fine just calm down you were shot earlier today…” I said as I pushed the button to call the nurse and with that I ran out as fast I could.

Crap. He had seen me and I only hoped he wouldn’t remember me due to all the drugs I was sure he was getting.

I had three weeks to get his uncle and I still had to come up with a plan.