- Text Size +

He stood silently on the street outside of the airport. The cars flew past and the people avoided him. The sun shown down on his pale face. His jet black hair stood out on all sides. His eyes were rimmed with black eyeliner and their red gaze stared at nothing. He had five eyebrow piercings. Two on the right and three on the left. His lip ring clung to the left side of his bottom lip. He had gages in both of his ears. He wore a black leather, studded chocker with a matching long coat. Underneath that he wore a plain black wife-beater. His straight-legged jeans were so tight they looked like a part of him. His black skate shoes were torn up with the fabric and laces hanging around.

            The boy's name was Damen. He was sixteen years old and a straight A student. Next year would be his last year of high school and he hoped to spend it here in Florida. Since he'd gotten out of school for the summer he'd been looking for someone. He hoped to find them soon. He pulled his phone out of his coat pocket and flipped it open. July 19, 2017, 12:24 pm is what it said on the main screen. He sighed, he had to find the man he was looking for fast. His school started on August 28. That gave him just about a month left. He knelt down to pick up his backpack, which was by his feet, as he remembered his conversation with his principle back in May.

 

            He sat in a stiff chair looking at the old man across from him. A look of disgust was clearly on the older man's face. Damen was the school's top student, and yet he chose to dress and act like one of the worst.

"Damen," He spoke quickly. "I was informed that you're thinking of turning down your consular position at the summer science camp this year."

"Yeah, I am."

"If you don't mind me asking, why?"

"I might be busy. Looking for someone this summer."

"Who?"

            He rolled his head to the side and ran his fingers over his lip ring. His leg bounced up and down uncontrollably. He didn't want to tell anyone what he was looking for. He thought it over in his mind and came to the conclusion that telling the principle didn't matter.

"My father."

 

            He didn't know why he had said that. The man wasn't really his father. Biologically, yes he was. He had never met him though. The guy had left before he was even born. He hated himself now for saying that. Those words tasted disgusting coming from his mouth. He didn't have a father. He didn't need one. He just needed to know who this man was and why he left. Only after he knew that would he stop.

            He opened up his backpack and looked for an old letter this guy had sent his mom. Damen hoped that he stilled lived in the same place as he did back then. He opened it up and read it over. The guy, like himself, had horrible handwriting. Most of it made no sense to him. So he skipped over it until he reached the end. He stared hard at the words ‘Love you forever, Nick'.

"So much for forever," he muttered.

            He took out the picture that was also in the envelope. He looked at the man. He had blonde hair and bright blue eyes. He was smiling big. A diamond stud was noticeable in his ear. He wore a simple sea shell necklace and a silver chain around his neck. He has a few tattoos on each arm. One on his left arm was clearly a shark. The man looked exactly like he would if he didn't dye his hair and put in red contacts. He put the picture away and looked back at the address. He was in Florida now and all he had to do was find Sunset Beach Drive. Once he was there he might find this man.

 

            Damen found his way away from the airport. His first thought was going to find the man but his stomach changed his mind. Now he was on the hunt for Mc Donald's. Finding the guy could wait after lunch. He didn't have to walk a long ways before he found a Mc Donald's. It stood on the other side of the street waiting for him. He ran across the street and walked inside. The smells of grease, fries, and chicken hit him instantly. So did the annoying screams of little kids running around.

            He started to make his way up to the counter but stopped. In the corner sat a group of guys. One of them looked like the man from his picture. He shook his head, thinking that couldn't be the guy. Just then the guy turned a little. Damen could see his left arm completely. It was covered in tattoos, but one was clear. A shark tattoo. He didn't know how many people in the world had a tattoo like that but he guessed not many. It had to be him, and Damen was going to find out for sure.

            He walked right to the corner and topped in front of the table. Looking closely he could see the man's bright blue eyes.

"Can we help you?" One of the other guy's asked.

"Are you Nick?" He pointed right at the man.

"Yeah, you want an autograph or something?"

"No. I want to know why you left."

The man looked at him confused, "what are you talking about? I don't even know you."

            He sat his backpack down on an empty chair and dug around for the letter. Once he found it he handed it over to the man.

"You wrote this to my mom. Seventeen years ago."