- Text Size +

It was almost dark and Nick was still sitting on the bottom step of the stairs. He had sat there all day. He was hungry and his back and legs did hurt but he didn't move. He couldn't. He never expected to be sad when Damen left but he was. He wanted to talk to him. Find out why he left. Why he couldn't stay. But Nick couldn't. He had no phone number and no idea where Damen was going.

            Nick sighed and stood up when he heard someone knock on the door. A part of him hoped it was Damen coming back. The other part said Damen would never be back. He opened the door and saw Brian and Leighanne standing there.

"Where were you today?" Brian asked as they walked in.

"There." Nick said pointing to the stairs.

"Why were you there?" Leighanne asked him.

            Nick walked over and picked up the letter. He handed it to them and sat back down as they read it.

"Who's Damen?" Leighanne asked confused.

"He's a kid. He came to me two weeks ago with a letter I sent to his mom. I apparently am his dad. So for the past two weeks he's been living here. But this morning he was gone."

"What does he mean by ‘everything else I've written'?" Brian questioned.

"He wrote these weird things on my wall with pink paint."

            Brian nodded as he handed Nick the letter back.

"So you just sat there all day?"

            Nick nodded.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just miss him a little."

"But you only knew him for two weeks." Brian said.

            Leighanne slapped his shoulder and walked over to Nick.

"Nick if you miss him then why not talk to him?"

"I don't know where he's going or his phone number."

            Leighanne thought for a moment.

"How did he get here in Florida? Did he fly?"

"Uh...." Nick thought and tried to remember how Damen got there. "I think he did."

"Well then let's go to the airport."

"Why?" Brian and Nick asked at the same time.

"Because," she explained. "Only two planes have taken off today. All the other flights were cancelled. Remember Brian we were supposed to fly out to LA today?"

            Brian nodded and Nick stood up. They all went outside. Brian and Leighanne got in their car and Nick got in his. He was hoping that Damen was at the airport.

 

            Rain splashed against the windshield as Nick drove to the airport. Since he had been sitting on the stairs all day he had no idea the weather was bad.

            When he got to the airport he parked and went inside with Brian and Leighanne. This time Baylee was with them too.

"Nick, why are you coming to the airport?" Baylee asked him.

"Because I'm looking for someone."

"Did a girl leave you again?"

            Nick punched him lightly as Brian and Leighanne laughed.

"No." He said before he walked off.