- Text Size +

Nick took the letter from him and read it over. He recognized his handwriting and knew that the kid wasn't lying to him. He sighed and looked up into the kid's red eyes.

"Can we talk outside?" He asked.

Damen shrugged, "sure."

            They walked outside and walked over to a bench nearby. Nick sat down on one end of the bench. Damen however sat on the ground. Nick gave him a questioning look.

"The grass is softer than that plastic" Damen said.

Nick nodded, "Okay. So what's your name and what do you want?"

"Damen." I already said I wanted to know why you left."

"Listen kid..."

"Damen," he interrupted. "I hate being called kid."

"Right." Damen, look when I left your mom you weren't even alive. Why don't you go find your dad and ask him."

"Dude you're my dad."

"What?" Nick looked at him wide-eyed.

"You," Damen pointed at him. "My dad." Then he pointed at himself.

"Are you serious?"

"Kind of. Want a blood test?"

"No I don't want a fucking blood test. You can't be my kid."

"Well I am. Now tell me, how you like knowing you have a son who will be seventeen in three months."

Nick stood up shaking his head. "This can't be real."

"Well if it isn't will I be carried away by flying monkeys?" Damen asked him.

"This isn't funny. Why didn't she tell me she was pregnant?"

"Don't ask me. I don't know why your relationship sucked."

            Nick glared at him before walking away. He walked back inside and back to the table where he was sitting with the guys. He picked up the kid's backpack and his own bag. Then he walked over to Brian.

"Hey man can you come outside with me?"

"Sure Nick."

            Together they walked back outside and to where Damen was sitting pulling the flowers out of the ground and ripping them to pieces. Damen looked up at them and grabbed his backpack from Nick's hands.

"Don't touch this. It's mine."

"I know I was giving it to you."

"Whatever bye." Damen turned and started walking away.

"I thought you wanted to know something from me."

Damen looked back at him. "Not anymore. I don't think I want to know anything from someone like you anymore."

 

Damen walked to the sidewalk and away from Mc Donald's. He made sure he was going the opposite way from the airport. He took the picture out of his backpack. Slowly he started ripping it into little pieces. With each tear he made he tried to forget the conversation he just had. His mom didn't want him anymore and it was pretty clear that his ‘dad' didn't want him either. The look was on his face when Damen told him the he was his son. The guy didn't want to be his father. He didn't even really want to talk to him.

He threw all the pieces of the picture into the nearest trash can. He stopped by it and looked around. The sun shown into his eyes but he didn't care. His stomach growled. He knew he was hungry but he didn't know where to stop. He didn't even really know where he was.

 

Nick watched Damen walk away before turning to go to his car. Brian followed him.

"Nick what's going on?"

"Trust me Rok I don't know."

"Okay so who was that kid?"

"Apparently my son."

"What?"

"Can we talk about this later? I want to catch up with him and try and talk to him."

Brian nodded and watched him as he drove off.

            Nick drove down the street. He was going over the speed limit but he didn't care. Damen had somehow moved quickly. He wasn't close to Mc Donald's at all when Nick saw him. He was standing by a trash can emptying out his backpack. Nick sighed and pulled up to the curb. He rolled down the windows as Damen turned to look at him.

"Damen get in. We need to talk."

"Sorry my mommy said don't get in the car with strangers unless they were showing you money."

"You're a twisted kid. Get in here."

Damen walked up to the car. He opened the door and sat down. He looked around the car and spotted a stack of cd's. He search threw them before throwing them back into the backseat.

"You know I wasn't kidding. She really said if I could get money from someone who wasn't her I should."

"Really?"

"Yep. She's drunk half the time."

"I guess that happened after I left."

"Ya think?"

            Neither one of them said anything else for a while. Damen stared out the window trying to find someplace that looked halfway cool. He could see any place that he would usually hang out at.

"Guess it's time to dye again."

            Nick almost hit the car in front of him when he heard that. Damen looked at him and started laughing.
"What did you say?" Nick asked.

"Time to dye again." Damen answered, "You know. Dye my hair."

"Oh okay."

             Nick relaxed a little as he continued to drive. Damen kept laughing quietly. He didn't expect him to almost crash, but it did help amuse him a little.

"Will you shut up?"

"Angry man."

Damen made a hissing noise. That made him laugh again. This time Nick laughed to.

"You won't make a good cat."

"Whatever man. I'm cute." Damen threw his hair back, "My alien said so."

            Nick shook his head and turned the corner. The kid was weird but he could get use to being around him. He was kind of funny too.