- Text Size +

Nick followed Jess into her house. He turned the lights on as she took off her heels.

"Can I ask you something?" Jess asked.

"Sure."

"Why did you take me dancing?"

            He walked over to her and pulled her close.

"You were stressed out. I needed to get your mind off everything that's going on."

"So you couldn't think of anything else?"

"Well I did but I figured you wouldn't leave town or..."

"Or what?"

            Nick leaned in and gently kissed her.

"Or that."

            She blushed and let him kiss her again. After he pulled away she took his hand and led him down the hall to her bedroom.

 

~At the party~

            Damen tried hard to not look at everyone while he was singing. He kept staring at the house or he kept his eyes closed. He took a deep breath before starting the next song.

 

Can anybody hear me? - Or am I talking to myself? - My mind is running empty - In this search for someone else - Who doesn't look right through me - It's all just static in my head - Can anybody tell me why - I'm lonely like a satellite

Cause tonight I'm feeling like an astronaut - Sending SOS from this tiny box - And I lost all signal when I lifted off - Now I'm stuck out here and the world forgot - Can I please come down? - Cause I'm tired of drifting round and round - Can I please come down?

I'm deafened by the silence - Is it something that I've done? - I know that there are millions - I can't be the only one - Who's so disconnected - It's so different in my head - Can anybody tell me why - I'm lonely like a satellite

Cause tonight I'm feeling like an astronaut - Sending SOS from this tiny box - And I lost all signal when I lifted off - Now I'm stuck out here and the world forgot - Can I please come down? - Cause I'm tired of drifting round and round - Can I please come down?

Now I lie awake and scream - In zero gravity - And it's starting to weigh down on me -Let's abort this mission now - Can I please come down?

So tonight I'm calling all astronauts - All the lonely people that the world forgot - If you hear my voice come and pick me up - Are you out there? - Cause you're all I've got!

Cause tonight I'm feeling like an astronaut - Sending SOS from this tiny box - And I lost all signal when I lifted off - Now I'm stuck out here and the world forgot

Cause tonight I'm feeling like an astronaut - Sending SOS from this tiny box - To all the lonely people that the world forgot - Are you out there? - Cause you're all I've got!

Can I please come down? - Cause I'm tired of drifting round and round - Can I please come down? - Can I please come down? - Can I please come down?

 

            Damen stepped off the stage and walked over to a table. He grabbed a can of coke and opened it.

"Water's better for you."

            He turned and saw a girl standing behind him. He remembered her from school. Every time there was a dance she asked him and every time he told her no.

"I know but this taste better."

            She giggled and smiled.

"True... I didn't know you could sing."

"It's not something I tell people."

"Why not? You're good."

"Thanks."

            He started to walk away.

"Hey Damen?"
"Yea?" He turned back to her.

"Can I at least have one dance tonight?"

            He looked into her eyes and smiled softly.

"Sure."

            He set his coke down and took her hand, leading her to the center of the dance floor.