- Text Size +

"Soooo where we going?" Damen asked Nick.

"My house."

"Oooo fun. Is there a party?"

"No."

"Never mind not fun."

            Damen started running his fingers over his lip ring like he did every time he was nervous.

"You're not going to murder me are you?" He asked trying to be funny.

Nick looked at him, "no. Why, are you scared?"

"Of you? No. Of someone you might have at your creepy house? Yes."

"There's no one at my house but my dogs."

Damen faked looking shocked, "Dogs? They could hurt me."

"You'll be fine."

"That's what you think." Damen muttered under his breath.

 

            Damen was silent the rest of the way to the house. When they pulled up in the drive way he heard barking. He guessed it was one of the dog's Nick said he had. He got out of the car and started following Nick to the door before he stopped. The house in front of him was huge. It was white and had a green trim. There was only a door and a few windows that he could see.

"Do you hate windows?"

Nick turned back to him, "No. Most of the windows are just on the other sides of the house."

            Damen nodded and walked inside. When he was in he stopped breathing. He thought the outside was huge but the inside was just as big. The tiles were a soft green color and the rug was a shade darker. He walked further into the house and entered a white room. There were couches and chairs, all white. There were also books and other things on the shelves that came out of the walls. On the far side of the room there was the biggest TV he had ever seen.

"Whoa." Damen said.

Nick walked into the room behind him. "What?"

"Dude your house is like huge!"

"Really?"

"Yeah. It's big and....green. Why is it green?"

Nick shrugged, "I like green."

"What a lovely reason. Which couch do I get?"

"Any. So when do you want to see your room?"

"M WHAT!?" He shouted.

"Your room. You didn't sound happy when you talked about your mom so I thought you would like to stay here for a while. But if you don't want to that's fine."

"No it's fine. I want to stay. I've just....uh never mind."

"No what?"

"It's just that I've never had my own room before. Mom always made me sleep on the couch or outside somewhere."

            Nick looked at the young boy suddenly feeling very sorry for him. He realized that there was more to this kid than dark clothes and a twisted sense of humor.

 

            Later that night Nick was in the kitchen. He was cooking pasta for himself and Damen. Damen had fallen asleep not long after Nick had shown him his room. Pasta was the only thing he could think of to make for dinner since Damen was sleeping. He just hoped Damen didn't mind.

            When the pasta was done cooking and set out on the table Nick walked up stairs. He stood in the door way of Damen's room for a minute looking at the sleeping boy. Now that he was looking at the boy closely he could see that Damen looked like him a little.  He sighed as he walked over to the bed.

"Hey Damen, wake up."

            He shook him slightly. Slowly Damen's eyes started to open.

"What is it?" He mumbled.

"I cooked dinner if you're hungry."

            Damen sat up quickly when he heard that.
"Food?"

Nick chuckled, "yeah food. Come on."

            They walked downstairs and Damen sat down at the table.

"So what do you want to drink?" Nick asked.

"You got coke?"

"Only diet."

"I'll take milk then."

"Alright."

            Nick poured Damen a glass of milk and got a bottle of water for himself.

"So Damen later this week do you want to go to the store and get some things for yourself?"

"Uh..." Damen hesitated.

"I don't have to go with you if you don't want me too. I could just give you the money."

"No, it's not that. It's just how do you get all this money? Are you a drug dealer like all my mom's other boyfriends?"

Nick laughed, "no I'm not a drug dealer."

"Then what do you do? You don't look like a business man."

"Well that's good because I'm not. I'm a singer."

"Really?" Damen thought for a moment. "That's cool. Are you in a band?"

"Pop group."

"What one"?

"The Backstreet Boys."

Damen chocked on his pasta.

"Dude that's like the world's most popular boy band!"

Nick laughed again, "dude I know."

"Sweet."