- Text Size +

Leah’s Point Of View

Everyone was hyped up after the concert. Howie and his wife decided to go out, so the rest of us tagged along with the exception of Nick. He wanted to go back to the hotel and sleep. I quickly changed out of my jeans and t-shirt into a short black leather skirt and silver sequined tank top.

The club was fairly low key which was nice. I just wanted to enjoy some time with my man. Howie was on the dance floor with his wife. AJ was talking to the DJ. Brian and I sat at the table enjoying each other’s company.

“So where do you want to go for our honeymoon?” His hand rubbed my thigh.

“I don’t care. I’ll be happy as long as I’m with you.” I smiled at him as a twirled the straw in my drink. “Have you decided on the best man and groomsmen?”

“I’d love for AJ to be the best man.” Brian chuckled and then took a swig of his beer.

“Umm…why would you do that?” I didn’t understand what was so funny about his comment.

“To thank him for breaking your heart.” Brian kissed my cheek. I scooted away from him.  He looked at me I could not believe he would say something like that. He was usually the sweetest guy. I didn’t know what he problem was tonight.

“That was low. What is your problem?” I hissed.

“It was just a joke, darling.” He reached for me. I scooted further away from him.

“I don’t find it funny. I wish you would lose the attitude.” I grabbed my purse and slid off my chair. I was out of here.

“W…w...where are you going?” He looked surprised.

“I can’t be with you at the moment. When you get your head out of your ass come find me.” I turned and walked away.

I didn’t know where I was going, but as long as it was far away from Brian I would be happy. I walked around the club for a few minutes; then decided to go outside for some fresh air. I stood against the wall wishing I had a cigarette. Sure, I quit smoking about five years ago, but when I was pissed or stressed the craving for one came back.

Brian made me so mad with his comment. AJ and I had a toxic relationship from the beginning. It still was poisonous at times. We tried to get along but sometimes we couldn’t. I didn’t like Brian throwing it in my face. He acted like the only reason we even got together was because AJ broke my heart. The worst part was I didn’t even want to date Brian.

 

2007

“It’s funny how we keep meeting.” Brian smiled at me.

“It certainly is. If I didn’t already know you, I would think you were stalking me.” I teased. It was hard to believe I was flirting with Brian Littrell. I had known him for a long time. We were never the best of friends. Half the time I thought he disliked me.

“Maybe I am.” His blue eyes twinkled. “Or maybe it’s fate.”

“What does fate have to do with it?” I questioned. He was certainly full of charm.

“Not really sure, but it sounded good. Would you like to join me for lunch?”

“I would love, too.” I have no idea why I said yes. Maybe it was because I haven’t had a male pay attention me in a long time. Or maybe it was because Brian was being so charming.  I really wasn’t sure.

We sat down at a small table. The waiter came and we placed our orders. I felt a little awkward sitting there with Brian. Why? I’m not really sure. AJ was nagging me in the back of my head. I decided to tune him out because it wasn’t his choice anymore what I did in my life. It hadn’t been for years.

“How’s Eden doing?”

“She’s great. She left yesterday for LA. I miss her already.”

“I bet. She’s always been a great girl.”

“Thanks Bri. So, why aren’t you married with a bunch of children?” I was curious. He certainly was a catch. Any woman would be lucky to have a man like Brian.

“It’s hard finding the right woman. I’ve dated, but nothing serious.”

“You’ll find her when you least except it.” I touched his hand.

“Maybe I’m looking at her.” Brian’s hand caressed mine. Shivers went down my spine. His statement threw me for a loop. I didn’t know what to say. “Does that surprise you?”

“To be honest yes it does. We’ve never been the best of friends. I think we’ve tolerated each other because of AJ.”

“To be honest, you intimidated me. I never knew how to approach you.”

“Really?”

“Sure, you were beautiful, confident, and overtly sexual. What guy wouldn’t want you?” His index finger trailed up my arm.

“I was a train wreck back then. I’ve grown up and changed a lot Brian. I’m not the same woman I was when I was with AJ.” I paused watching Brian looking at me intently. “I’ve been in therapy since two thousand five.”

“I can see that you’ve mature since the last time I saw you. It’s been so long. I’m glad you were able to get help. It shows maturity.” He said sincerely.

“Thanks Brian.”

“Would you like to go on a date with me?” I was torn about what I should do. On one hand, it was awkward dating your ex’s friend. AJ would be pissed about it. My other hand was saying take a chance. This might be the best thing to happen to you.

“I don’t know.” I replied honestly.

“Just one date. If I’m horrible then we go our separate ways. No harm done.” He smiled at me. My heart was melting. I need to stop. I was a strong independent woman. I didn’t need a man.

“What happens if I enjoy it?” I questioned.

“Then it might just change your life.”

 

“What are you doing out here?” AJ asked pulling me out of my thoughts.

“I needed some fresh air. Do you have a cigarette?”

“Does this have anything to do with the pissy look on Rok’s face?” He handed me a cigarette. “I thought you quit.”

“Maybe.” I took a drag and started to relax. “I smoke when I pissed.”

“What’s wrong?” AJ asked me seriously. He leaned against the wall beside me.

“Nothing.”

“You can’t tell me you’re pissed and then not tell me.” He smiled. Damn I hated when he smiled. It was so sexy.

“Fine.” I rolled my eyes at him. He was so annoying. “Brian’s being a jackass.”

“I thought you two were so happy together.”

“We are, but sometimes he says stupid stuff. Give him some beer and he turns into an ass.”

“Was it about me?” Why was it that AJ could read between the lines? I didn’t want to tell him what pissed me off.

“Maybe.” I took one last puff of my cigarette, threw it on the ground, and stamped on it.

“That’s a definite yes.” His fingers grazed my arm. My body reacted with heat in my core. Damn him. “I’m used to Brian’s shit. Just tell me.”

“Fine.” I looked him in the eye. “He was joking about you being his best man because you broke my heart and now he has me. It was an asshole comment. I got pissed and came out here.”

“He’s right. If I didn’t break your heart, he would never have you.” AJ moved in front of me with his arms on both sides of me. I could hardly breathe. “I was a fool for how I treated you. I’ve never forgiven myself. I still love you.” AJ’s face moved to mine. His lips were a fraction of an inch away from mine. Heat was radiating from both our bodies. I started to lick my lips when AJ placed his mouth on mine. Without thinking my tongue was in his mouth.

I forgot where I was. Time stood still. The only thing I could think about was how great it felt to have AJ McLean’s tongue in my mouth. My hands moved to his ass. We were so wrapped up in each other, that my cell phone ringing was the only thing to make us stop. I pulled away and grabbed my cell phone out of my purse. Fuck, it was Brian.

“Hello.” I tried to remain calm. “I’m fine. Okay. Yes, I’m ready to go back. I’m outside. I’ll see you in a few.” I closed my phone and placed it in my purse. When I looked up AJ was no where to be found. Did I imagine him? I was more confused than ever.