- Text Size +

Eden’s Point of View

While all the adults went out for the evening, I was stuck babysitting Amelia and Conner Dorough. Amelia was three and as sweet as her dad. Conner was a year old and a little terror. Nick decided to stay and hang out at the hotel. I think it was his turn to watch over me. Usually someone stayed at the hotel to keep an eye on the kids. Even though I was fourteen, they didn’t trust me.

Amelia and Conner were tucked in their beds. Nick was in his room probably having phone sex with one of his many girlfriends. That is why I liked having Nick stay at the hotel; he basically ignored me and did his own thing. I settled down on the couch with my mom’s journal.

I always knew she was wild, but now I got to read all the juicy details. I mean come on; she got pregnant with me when she was fifteen. I couldn’t even imagine having a baby at that age. Sure, I liked boys but I was not ready to have sex.

“What are you reading?” Nick walked into the living room. He was looking fine with his wet hair. He must have just stepped out of the shower. Even though I was a teenager I had to admit Nick was hot.

“My mom’s journal from when she was a teenager.”

“Does she know you’re reading it?” He asked as he sat down on the couch next to me. Mmm, he smelled heavenly.

“Yes.” I rolled my eyes at him. He may be cute, but sometimes he was an idiot. “I wouldn’t just read someone’s personal thoughts without permission.”

“No need to get snippy, Edy. I was just curious.”

“I wasn’t get snippy, Nickolas. Please don’t call me Edy. I’m not a little girl anymore.” I set the journal on the table. With Nick hovering I knew I wouldn’t get any reading done.

“You’ll always be a little girl in everyone’s eyes. I can’t believe you’re growing up.” He sounded sad at the fact I wasn’t a baby anymore. It made me want to laugh. Nick Carter sad because AJ McLean’s love child was a teenager, gave me the giggles. “What is so funny?”

“You.” I giggled.

“Me?” He pointed to himself while making a funny face.

“Yes, you.”

“Oh, Edy Beady. You used to love spending time with Uncle Nicky. Don’t you love me anymore?” He sulked. Damn, Nick Carter was such a drama king. Why my parents trusted him to keep an eye on me I’ll never know.

“Not really. You’re not as cool as you used to be.” I joked. Really he was the coolest guy I knew, but I would never admit it.

“You hurt my feelings.” He faked crying. I rolled my eyes and pretend to ignore him. A few minutes later he stopped and looked at me. “So talk to me about the fight with your parents.”

“Why do you care? I really don’t feel like talking about it. I’m mad at them both.”

“I gathered that since you’ve ignored them all day. What happened?” He stretched out on the couch, placing his feet in my lap. He had really big feet.

“You’re feet smell.” I tried to push his feet off of me. “I started liking this boy.”

“Oohhh…a boy. Boys will get you in trouble. Stay away from them until your forty.” He laughed. I didn’t find him one bit amusing.

“That’s funny coming from you. I’m sure you’ve caused enough trouble yourself.”

“I know from experience. Guys are dogs. So who is this boy?”

“His name is Xavier. He’s one of my best friend’s older brothers.” I smiled. I thought X was one of the coolest guys I knew.

“And your parents didn’t know about him, I’m guessing.” Nick was smarter than I gave him credit for. It was like he knew everything that happened.

“I didn’t tell my mom. My dad he knows nothing about me, but that’s a different story. Anyways, we started hanging out a lot. Then he kissed me and it was full time crushing.” I couldn’t believe I was telling Nick everything. I just found him easy to talk to.

“Go one.” He encouraged.

“Well, then we started making out. I never went further than that because I don’t want to be knocked up like my mother was with me. I’m not ready to take care of a kid full time.”

“That’s mature of you, learning from other people’s mishaps. Though I think both of your parents are glad you were born. It was hard on them, but they’ve raised a beautiful, intelligent young woman.” I blushed.

“Thanks, Nick. That means a lot. I know my parents have a lot of issues. Hell, they still have issues with each other. Sometimes I wish they would get along and be happy.” I confessed.

“Just remember that at one time, they did love each other.”

“I know. Mom is happy now. She has Brian. They are perfect for each other. I just wish dad could find someone. He never seems happy.” I sighed. I always felt sorry for my dad. My mom was head over heels in love with Brian. My dad was lonely. I just wanted him to be happy.

“It’s complicated Edy. Just know that your dad loves you a lot, even though he doesn’t show it a lot.”

“I guess. I don’t want to talk about it.” Talking about my dad was never easy for me. Most of the time I feel like I didn’t know him very well. It made me feel uncomfortable when I was around him. I was afraid that if I got to know him my mom would somehow be upset with me. This is why I held back when I was with my dad. I know it wasn’t right, but I didn’t know what else to do. “I’m going to bed. Night, Nick.”

I grabbed the journal and left the room. Tears fell from my eyes as I buried my head in my pillow. I didn’t want Nick to hear me cry. I was embarrassed with my actions. I didn’t know how to make things better. I really wanted to love my dad with all my heart.