- Text Size +

AJ’s Point of View

I slammed my phone on the table after I hung up on the bitch of the century. It was hard to believe I ever loved her. Our relationship was venomous on a good day. Leah was a thorn in my side that never went away. If we didn’t share a daughter, I would have ran her over with my tour bus years ago.

“What did Leah want?” Nick sat down beside me. He always had a thing for Leah. She was hot, and I knew they were bangin’ the head boards years ago. Leah could certainly act all prim and proper now, but in the past she was nothing more than a slut.

“Eden posted a provocative photo of herself on Twitter.”

“Shit. She’s a gorgeous girl, but what the hell is she thinking?”

“Please don’t comment on my daughter’s look. If you think she’s gorgeous, you’ll want to sleep with her, you douche bag.” I was getting annoyed by everyone.

“Umm…that’s illegal. Just because I said she’s beautiful doesn’t mean anything except that she’s beautiful.”

“Nick you will fuck anyone with boobs and a pussy. Don’t even think of messing with my daughter.”  I quickly got up and left the room. I couldn’t take anymore of this shit in my life. For the last few years everything was back to normal. Leah always had to cause trouble in my life.

As I walked down the hall, I pondered whether to go smoke or get something to eat. My decision was made crystal clear when I saw Eden sitting at a table with Brian. I wanted to have a chat with my daughter.

I grabbed a soda and walked over to the table. I sat down next to Eden. She didn’t even know I was there. She was having an in-depth conversation about religion with Brian. . Damn, she was smarter than me.

“Eden we need to talk.” I interrupted.

“Umm…okay…umm dad.” Eden said unsurely. It was like she didn’t want to associate with me. Our relationship was strained, but I didn’t know how to fix it. “Brian, we can talk later. Thanks for explaining that to me.” She smiled at him.

“Anytime sweetheart. I’m going to go make a phone call. See ya later.” Brian squeezed her hand and left.

“What’s up?” Eden started looking at her nails.

“I talked to your mother earlier. She told me about a picture you posted on Twitter. Why the fuck are you wearing that?” I attempted to stay calm, but my temper got the best of me.

“It’s none of your business.” My daughter answered calmly. She was just as composed as her mother.

“I think it is. I’m your father.”

“You’re my father three months a year. The rest of the time you don’t even know I exist. Hell you hardly spend time with me now.” Eden replied with a hard-edged tone. “Your bodyguard knows more about me.”

“That’s not true. I spend time with you every day.” Sure, I would never win father of the year, but I wasn’t as bad as my daughter was portraying me.

“Being in the same room does not qualify as spending time together.” She stood up. “Just forget it. You don’t get it and you never will.”

Then she stormed out of the room. I didn’t know whose temper she had mine or Leah’s. It was probably a combination of both. I felt sorry for anyone who made her mad.

I place my head on the table. My day was getting worse.  My ex-whatever the hell she was and my daughter hated me. I knew I was an ass, but cut a guy some slack. I was trying to be a better dad and man, but apparently it wasn’t working.

“Is everything okay?”

“Brian, why the hell do you care?” I said bitterly. I really didn’t want to get advice from Saint Brian. He was already on my shit list. I pretended to get along with him for the sake of the group. At the moment I just wanted to throttle him.

“Eden is a great girl. She deserves to have her father in her life.”

“I know that dipshit. I am in her life.”

“When you feel like it. She’s spending the summer with you, yet I haven’t seen you spend more than five minutes with her.” Brian commented like he knew everything about my relationship with my daughter.

“That’s not fucking true. We spend time on the bus together.” I wanted to kick his ass to the moon. “It’s really none of your business.”

“It is when Eden makes it my business. I feel sorry for you. You have a great daughter and you could care less.” Brian glared at me. He thought he was so high and mighty.

“That’s right you get to spend the entire year with my daughter. I get three fuckin’ months. Nothing I do is right. She has you as her future stepfather. Maybe I should just give up my rights and you can be her dad.” I knocked the chair over as I stood up. I already felt guilty without Brian confirming what an ass I really was. “Brian fuck off.”

As I entered the hallway I saw Eden standing against the wall. From the look on her face I knew she heard my conversation with Brian. The closer I got to her the more I noticed the tears streaming down her face.

“Eden…I’m sorry you had…to…hear that.” I couldn’t get the words out.

“Whatever. You had no right to yell at Brian. He’s done nothing wrong. At least he cares about me.” She started to walk away.

“I care about you Eden. I’ve loved you, your entire life.”

“Just leave me alone.” She ran down the hall.

No matter what I did, it was always wrong. At this point I didn’t know what to do. Maybe Eden’s life would be better without me in it. She had Brian and didn’t need me. My day was going to hell. I needed a cigarette.