- Text Size +

Leah’s Point of View

Things were back to normal, well as normal as they could be with Brian. We had almost everything planned for the wedding. He had never mentioned the cheating incident. It was like it never happened. As weird as it was, I was relieved in a way.

The charity ball was in two days so I was going crazy. Brian was picking up his parents from the airport. They were going to be staying with us until their vacation with Eden. The other guys were flying in for the ball, but would be staying at a local hotel. Denise was also coming with AJ.

“Mom! I’m home!” Eden yelled as she ran into the living room where I was working on the final counts for the ball. I stood up and gave her a hug. Even with all the drama going on, I missed my daughter.

“It’s like you’ve grown three inches since I saw you.” I smiled at her. Eden was beautiful with her long black hair that went to the middle of her back. She had AJ’s eyes, so there was always a glint of mischief in them.

“Oh mom.” She giggled. From the look on her face I could tell that she was happy. This was the first time I had seen her this way with her dad. That made me happy.

AJ and his mom walked into the room. I walked over to Denise and gave her a hug. “It’s good to see you Denise. It’s been too long.”

“I know I need to get up her more often. At least we have our phone calls.” She smiled at me. Denise was like a second mom to me. We were close, even though I wasn’t with AJ.

I looked at AJ cautiously, not sure as to what I should say to him. It was rather awkward. I didn’t know what he was thinking or feeling because he those damn sunglasses on. He was looking good, all suntanned and relaxed.

Grammy D, let me show you my room. I redecorated it since the last time you were here.” Eden took her Denise’s hand and pulled her down the hallway.

“You sure are quiet.”

“I have nothing to say.” He started to laugh. “Oh wait that’s because I’m not allowed to talk to you unless it’s about Eden. So, umm I guess we shouldn’t be having this conversation.”

“What exactly did Brian say to you?” I was curious since he never mentioned it to me.

“I don’t want to discuss it.” He said dejectedly. Then he stomped off toward Eden’s room.

I pinched the bridge of my nose to help ease the tension in my head. It didn’t work. With AJ being around I knew things were going to stressful. Brian would be watching me like a hawk.  He would be giving AJ the look the whole time. 

The door leading to the garage opened and Brian and his parents had arrived. This was sure to be a joyful afternoon. They entered the living room at the same the McLean clan did. Couldn’t I be transported elsewhere? Calgon take me away.

“Leah it’s a pleasure to see you. You’re looking beautiful.” Jackie gave me a hug. Then she walked over to Eden. Everyone was chatting and say hello. I stood back and watched. Brian and AJ both were glaring at each other but no one was paying attention. It made me feel sick.  I couldn’t take it anymore, I ran to the bathroom.

My skin was clammy, my heart was racing, and I had the feeling I was going to throw up. I ended up sitting on the floor by the toilet. I forced myself to breathe…in, out, in, out. I kept telling myself to calm down. It had been years since I had a panic attack like this.

Having Brian and AJ together in the same room rocked my nerves. The hatred in Brian’s eyes scared me. I knew it was because he loved me but, I wanted him to stop.  I know he couldn’t forgive AJ, but with the parents and Eden there I didn’t want anything to happen.

My stomach settled and my heart slowed down. I stood up carefully and made my way to the sink. I turned on the faucet and splashed cold water on my face. I heard a knock on the door and then it opened.

“Are you okay?”

“What are you doing? He’ll flip if he sees you alone with me.” I hissed. AJ always liked to live dangerously. I guess things never changed.

“Rok won’t do anything while his parents are here. Are you okay?” He moved inside the bathroom.

“I’m fine. I just needed to use the restroom.” I leaned against the sink.

“Don’t lie to me. You’re all pale and sickly looking.” He said softly. Why was he being so nice to me? I didn’t deserve it. AJ should hate me.

“It’s just the stress of the ball. I’m fine.” I started to make my way into the hall.

“If you say so.” I nodded my head.

“Where is everyone else?"

" Eden convinced the grandmas to take her shopping and out for dinner. Brian and his dad are going golfing.”

“He didn’t invite you?” I smiled.

“He did, but I declined. I told Brian that I would let you know he was leaving and head out.”

“You don’t have to leave.” I whispered.

“It would be better if I did. I should probably head to the hotel and check-in.” He said nervously. In all my years of knowing AJ, I had never seen him nervous.

“That’s fine. I have work to finished anyway.” I commented and walked into the living room.

“You don’t have to be mad at me. I’m trying to make things easier for you.” He explained. “I don’t want to interfere in your relationship with Rok. I’m sorry I caused so much trouble for you.”

“It’s fine AJ. Everything is fine between me and Brian. You don’t need to worry about me. I’m a big girl.” I put my defenses up. I was going back to being a bitch. Life was easier that way.

“Leah, I don’t need you to be an ice queen just because of Brian. I’m worried about you. Why do you let yourself be controlled like that? AJ questioned as he closed the space between us. I could smell his aftershave and feel his breath on me.

“What the fuck do you mean?” My defense mode went up again. I needed be strong or I would break.

“You know what I mean. Brian and his stupid rules that you follow. When did you become weak?”

“It’s called a relationship for a reason. Sometimes you have to give and take, but you would know nothing about it. Plus, it’s none of your effing business.”

“It’s like you’re two different people. It’s like you are the perfect little Stepford wife with Brian and with me you show me who you really are.” He took my hands in his. I felt a surge go through my body. “You can only fool people for so long. Where’s the feisty girl who didn’t take anyone’s crap?”

“She’s gone. Now I think you need to leave.” I said sharply and pulled away from him.

“You need to make up your mind. I’ll always love and want you, but I’m not going to waiting forever.” With that AJ left and I was standing all alone and lonely.