- Text Size +

Leah’s Point of View

While the guys performed, I sat with my daughter enjoying a few minutes of peace. Eden was all into the performance really taking the time to watch her dad.

“Mom, they’re doing an awesome job tonight. Dad is really rockin’ it with the dance moves.” She smiled at me.

“You just realized that?” I asked.

“Kind of. I never really paid much attention to what he did on stage. I usually ignored him and watched Nick and Brian.” She said sheepishly. “I feel bad about it now.”

“E, it’s okay to feel bad, but move on. I can see that things have changed with you and your dad. That makes me happy.” It was nice seeing them get along. Both seemed so much happier.

“Yeah, your journal helped with that. I could see how much you loved him. What happened?” She asked curiously. I didn’t know what to say to her. Our break up was a mess. At fourteen she really didn’t need to know.

“Eden, life got in the way. Tonight is about fun; let’s not ruin it with that.”

“Fine mom, but someday I’ll get it out of you.”

We both continued to watch the guys. I was lost in my thoughts. What if everything had turned out differently? Maybe if I was with AJ, we would have gotten married and had more kids. I couldn’t even come up with an exact reason why things fell apart. We just started fighting over little things and then they became bigger things. AJ started drinking, and I turned away from him until one day is was over between us.

“On behalf of Piedmont Hospital and Leah Foster thank you for giving us the opportunity to sing for all of you.” Howie addressed the crowd.

“We would also like to present the hospital with a check for ten thousand dollars.” Nick handed the check to the Chief of Staff.

I made my way up to the stage. I had a few announcements before the dancing could begin.

“Thank you guys for the amazing performance. Before we start to dance I would like to announce the winner of the Caribbean Cruise. It is Molly Abernathy. Congrats. This year’s charity ball has been more successful than any other year. We have raised 1.2 million dollars. Without you none of this would be possible. Though there is still time to spend a little more money. Be sure to check out the Chinese auction in the hallway outside ballroom. You still have an hour before it closes down. Now, go enjoy some dancing.”

“Lee, you did a wonderful job. I’m so proud of you. Would you like to dance?”

“Of course.” Brian took my hand and led me to the dance floor.

As we danced I looked around the room. AJ was dancing with Eden. She had the biggest smile on her face. Howie was dancing with his wife, who wouldn’t stop watching my every move. Brian’s parents were dancing and Nick was dancing with Denise. Everyone seemed happy.

“Leah, I’m sorry if things between us have been weird. This whole AJ situation threw me for a loop.” Brian apologized.

“You had every right to be upset with me. What I did was wrong. I can’t believe you still want to be with me after that.” I commented quietly.

“Leah, you’re the only one who gets me. You are the only one that knows the shit Leighanne put me through. I just needed time to get over it. I can’t wait until the wedding.”

“Me, neither. The honeymoon will be even better.” I smiled at him. He brought his face closer to mine and his lips were only an inch from mine. Then he kissed me slowly. It was a kissed filled with passion and want. It left me speechless.

The song ended and we broke apart. Eden came over to see us.

“Brian would you like to dance?”  She smiled at him.

“Of course. You are the most beautiful young lady here tonight.”

I walked away smiling. Things were getting back to normal in my life. I was glad for that. Everyone seemed to have an understanding going on. I headed toward the restrooms. I think I spent half the night there, but such it life I guess. I only had a glass of wine and some water.

AJ was walking out of the men’s room and bumped into me. He looked into my eyes and I felt that energy I did whenever I was near him.

“Sorry, L-bug. I didn’t know you were standing there. Are you okay?”

“I’m…I’m fine.” Why was I having trouble getting the words out?

“I just wanted to tell you how gorgeous you look tonight.” His fingertip ran down my arm. I willed my body to not react, but it betrayed me. He wasn’t wearing sunglasses so I could see the desire in his eyes. I needed to make a conscience effort to stay away from his advances.

“Thank you. I enjoyed watching you dance with Eden. She’s really enjoying her summer with you.” Our daughter was a safe topic. It was always easy to talk about her.

“I’m enjoying it, too. She’s a great girl. Thank you for giving me the time with her. I’m going to make more of an effort when the summer is over.”

“I think that is awesome.” I truly did. Eden needed her father.

“I’m planning on moving to Atlanta. In fact I was looking at houses earlier today.”

“That’s great.” I groaned inwardly. Brian was going to throw a shit fit. AJ would be around all the time. I was happy for Eden, but it sucked for me. “Have you told Eden yet?”

“No, I want it to be a surprise. While she’s on vacation with the Littrell’s, I’m going to look at a few more houses.” He seemed genuinely happy to being staying in Georgia.

“That is great AJ.” I attempted to be enthusiastic. Every time things started going good someone threw a wrench in it. I should keep the focus on Eden and not me. She deserved to have her dad ten minutes away versus on the other side of the country. “I better get back before someone thinks I’m missing.”

I made my way back to the ballroom. Brian and Eden were still dancing. They looked cute together.

“Hey Fiesty!”

“Nick, stop calling me that.” I smacked his arm.

“But baby, it turns me on when you’re feisty.” He took me arm and starting rubbing my hand.

“Nick, go to hell. You and your lines don’t work for me. There’s plenty of single woman to bother. Why me?” I loved Nick dearly, but he never gave up.

“I just love flirting with you. You don’t fall for my bullshit. I find it refreshing.” He smiled at me as Brian and Eden walked over. “Edy, would you like to dance?”

“Sure Nick.” She squealed excitedly. Brian and I exchanged a look. I think my daughter was crushing on Nick Carter. I would have to have a talk with her about that. 

They moved to the dance floor. Brian and I stood there watching.

“Leah do you know that you are positively glowing tonight? There is something about you tonight, that I just can’t place, but I’m loving it.”

“Thank you Brian. Let’s dance.” We made our way to the dance floor. I was having a great time. At this point nothing could bring me down.