- Text Size +

AJ’s Point of View

After an hour past and Leah didn’t come back upstairs I started to worry. I heard Eden’s door slam so I know that things weren’t going well. I slipped on some shorts and went downstairs. I found Leah sitting on the floor in the kitchen crying.

“Sweetheart, are you okay?” I slid down next to her. I pulled her close to me.

“Not really. I didn’t want it to happen like this.” Tears started falling down her face.

“Tell me what happened?”

“Brian came in and Eden told him that she caught us in bed. Then she ran off.”  A panic attack started and Leah took her time trying to catch her breath. “J, can you get me a glass of water.”

I stood up and quickly grabbed a bottle of water and her anti-anxiety pills. “Here you go.”

She took the water but not the pills. Leah took a sip and did some breathing exercises. I was concerned that she wasn’t taking her medicine. I knew that it would help her calm down.

“Leah, you need to take you medicine.” I sat next to her. She looked at me like I had three heads.

“I can’t.” She continued doing her breathing exercises. I started rubbing her back. I didn’t understand why she couldn’t take her medicine.

“Leah, what’s wrong baby? Why can’t you take your medicine?”

“Don’t hate me Alex?” She turned to face me.

“I could never hate you.” Leah was beginning to worry me more. I wanted to know what was wrong.

“I’m pregnant.”

I looked at Leah. She looked so sad. This was the third happiest moment in my life. The first moment was meeting Leah and second was Eden. I was excited about being a dad.

I moved closer to Leah and slowly kissed her on the lips. Then I realized that maybe I wasn’t the father. Maybe it was Brian’s.  “Leah, am I the father?”

“Yes.” She leaned against me. I could see the she was emotionally drained. “Brian’s sterile.”

“L-bug, I’m so excited. I’m going to be a dad again!” I squeezed her close to me and placed a kiss on her head.

“You’re happy?” She asked in shock.

“Why wouldn’t I be happy?”

“I don’t know. We didn’t plan on it happening.” Leah stood up.

“When have we ever planned anything?” I stood next to her. “Are you happy about this?”

She thought for a moment before she responded. That had me a little worried. I wanted things to work for us. The pregnancy only added joy to the love I was feeling.

“I haven’t really had a chance to think about it. I just got the results and having Brian find out wasn’t pleasant.” She paused as she moved closer to me. Leah cupped my face. “Alex, I’m happy to be having your baby.”

Our lips met in a frenzy of love. My hands moved to her stomach. I couldn’t believe I was going to be a dad again.

“Don’t you two ever stop?” Eden huffed as she came into the kitchen. “I can’t believe the both of you. I’m so pissed right now.”

“That’s enough Eden Jamieson. You will not talk to your mom and me like that again.”

“Oooh trying to be the big bad dad.” She laughed in my face. “This is all your fault. You ruined everything once again. Can’t you let anyone be happy?”

“Eden, I’m not going to apologize for loving your mother. I know you’re upset.”

“Yeah, dad, I’m more than upset. I’m fucking pissed as hell. Mom had a good thing going with Brian. Now you have her slutting around. I hate you. I hate mom.” She glared at me with a hatred I had never seen before.

“That is enough Eden. You are not to talk to adults like that, especially us. There are a lot of things you know nothing about. This is an adult situation. I’m sorry you caught us, but we are adults. You can be upset, but you need to step away from the situation and let us handle it.” Leah stated to our daughter.

“You two are perfect for each other. Dad’s nothing but an asshole and you are a slut.” Eden commented with hatred. I understood that she was angry, but I had never seen her act like this. Leah was holding in tears that were threatening to spill. They always got along, so I know that Leah was hurt by Eden’s actions.

“I never want to hear you call your mother names. Go to your room.” I pointed toward the upstairs. “You’re grounded indefinitely.”

“I’ll gladly go. I can’t even look at the two of you.” She stomped out of the kitchen.

Leah was crying again. This was not good for her or the baby. I picked her up and carried her upstairs. I gently put her on the bed and lay beside her. She was wrapped in my arms.

“Lee baby, I’m sorry that Eden said what she did. You know it’s not true. She’s just angry.”

“Alex, she is right. I am a slut. Some things never change.”

“Leah Marie Foster, you are not a slut. Eden has no clue about what is going on. She’s a fourteen year old girl.” I attempted to comfort her. I didn’t know if I was doing a good job or not. As I rubbed her back I could feel her body start to relax.

-------------------------------------

Eden’s Point of View

As soon as I got to my room I grabbed my cell phone and dialed. I needed to talk to someone.

“Hello Edy!” Nick said cheerfully.

“Nick everything is fucked up.” I started to cry.

“Calm down, Edy. What happened?” Nick asked trying to get me to settle down. I wanted to throw things. I was so pissed.

“I caught my mom in bed with dad.”

“Shit.”

“Exactly. I can’t believe that mom would cheat on Brian. He doesn’t deserve to be treated like that.” I wiped my tears with my sweatshirt.

“Eden, don’t get mad when I say this.” Nick hesitated. “I can hear how upset you are, but this is between your mom, dad and Brian. A lot of this is going to affect you, but for now you got to let them handle it.”

“But, Nick. I’m already in a heap of trouble. I called my mom a slut.” I was feeling bad about doing it, but there was no way I was going to apologize. My parents were ruining everything.

“I know you don’t mean that. Your mom is a good woman.” Nick was trying to help Eden feel better. “You’re just upset. Give it some time. Sometimes adults do stupid things.”

“But I thought my mom loved Brian. I just don’t understand.”

“Edy, I’m thirty one years old, and I still don’t get the whole love thing. It’s complicated. I’m sure your mom loves Brian, but I think she also loves your dad.”

“How can you be in love with two people?” This whole love thing had me confused. Hopefully Nick could explain it to me since he’s had so many relationships.

“Brian and your dad are so different. Each one has something special that your mom loves.” Nick commented.

“Nick have you ever been in love with more than one person?” I whispered into the phone. I was curious about love and relationships.

“Luckily, I haven’t. That’s not to say that I’ve never liked more than one woman at a time.” He chuckled.

“So, that’s why everyone calls you a womanizer?” I teased him. Nick was so easy to pick on.

“Hey, now. There’s no need to pick on me. Who’s calling me a womanizer?” He squeaked. I laughed at him. Nick always had a way of making me feel better.

“Umm…everyone!” I laughed.

“Well, I’m glad that makes you laugh. So, what about your love life?” He questioned. It was almost like he was flirting with me. Nah, that couldn’t be it. He was a grown man and I was just a teenybopper.

“I don’t have a love life. My parents won’t let me date.” I rolled my eyes.

“That didn’t stop you before.”

“I’m trying to be mature and wait until my parents allow me to date.”

“That means you’ll have your first date when you’re forty.” He chuckled.

“You are so funny, Nick. Thanks for making me feel better. I better go before I get into more trouble.” I said shyly.

“Anytime Edy. If you need to talk don’t hesitate to call me. Bye, honey.” I heard his phone click off.  Nick was the sweetest guy. I did feel better talking to him. I placed my phone on the nightstand and closed my eyes to forget about it all. My thoughts were on Nick instead.